Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
am just wondering if it is possible to breed a rosetail without many deformities, there probably isn't but i want to be sure. i wish puddles wasn't a rosetail, he has amazing colors and all. so yeah anything would be appreciated

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
not really... as far as i know. i know many breeders don't mess with RTs at all, because of all the issues, but that's about all i know.

·
Super Moderator
6,145 Posts
If you want to work with rose tails, make your own. I do not suggest breeding RT you bought from other breeders because then you won't know what their siblings were like. If you breed a good healthy (physically) RT that carries deformities, you will have deformities for generations.

If you created your own RT, you'd know if any of the siblings had deformities and can determine if it's worth continuing (I suggest stop if any siblings were deformed). NEVER breed a RT to another RT or to a sibling. Always out breed to a 4 ray HM...... they're like DT, only worse. You have to constantly breed out to less rays to avoid deformities.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Not worth it IMO.

·
Registered
639 Posts
If you are willing to try it, go for it. But you may have to cull a lot of fish....

Jeff.:)

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so sorry i forgot this thread, i understand Mr.v but remember am just beginning please :) and your like all the way up there with great pairs and all :p
Indjo, how about if i do want to breed, and i DO have a 4 rayed female but she is a HMPK, will it still be bad? and thanks for the info :D
also this is just a question thats why i put "nothing important"

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Indjo posted good info but the amount of effort to actually create a line of low deformity rose tails would be extensive. Once you introduce rose you are going to have a tough time getting it out.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
They are beautiful though! Not as uptight looking as HMs. xD
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Indjo posted good info but the amount of effort to actually create a line of low deformity rose tails would be extensive. Once you introduce rose you are going to have a tough time getting it out.
True :p
but thanks for the help guys! :D well i have my goals setted and hopefully they go swell :) thanks for the info
i need to cram my head again :oops:

·
Super Moderator
6,145 Posts
Keep this in mind before you start working on a rose line. I suggest that you don't mix your rose line to your other lines. If (heaven forbids) you fail and do get deformities, you can cull everything but still have your non rose line. ...... culling is a must when working with rose.

PK and HM rose are the same - you need to work carefully. 4 ray should work. Treat them like any other PK x HM mixes. Determine which direction you want to go - long finned or short. Since you are working with a bought rose, you should be prepared to cull and not re-breed the non deformed...... some deformities will show after 6 months of age. Don't count your chickens before fry reach that age.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it was just a question, if i get stuck with a good rose i wanted to know before hand. and thanks for the info though

roses aren't really my goal though :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts