Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have a filter that supposedly filters about 90 gallons per hour, but does it still filter that much water if you baffle it and or turn it on a low setting? Its doing a fantastic job of maintaining a cycle, so I guess it's working out :p

·
Registered
401 Posts
Filters are set to filter at the stated rate. just because you baffled the flow doesn't stop the filtration. even on a low setting your filter is still filtering at 90 GPH. When you baffle the flow all your doing is redirecting the flow of the water you have not really changed the filtration rate just the flow. Now how have you baffled the flow? There are many ways to baffle the flow and the one I find works well is a piece of clear water bottle cut to the size of the flow channel and taping one edge to the filter body above the water line and placing the rest under the filter. This cut would look like a C. This method doesn't restrict the flow but it does redirect the flow and cuts way down on the turbulence in the water. When using this method the water discharge is hitting the front of the plastic and being forced in 2 different directions and it really does reduce the flow. I have done this with my Penguin 100 which is a 100 GPH filter in a 4 gal. tank.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Baffling does reduce the flow - anything that impedes the path of water reduces it's flow rate. The filter media, in most cases, reduces the flow rate from the stated rate. Lowering the flow setting of a filter also reduces the flow rate - restricting the rate at which water enters the filter reduces the rate at which it leaves the filter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.