Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(apparently the only difference between whisker and ghost is their whiskers/antenna's)

Anways, I got 3 whisker shrimp today to put into my 5 gallon tank with Gibbs who I just got yesterday.

But now, that I read about someone's shrimp nibbling on their Betta's tail when it was sleeping, worries me. So, I'm not sure if I wanna keep them or take them back tomorrow.

Gibbs hasn't flared at them or gotten aggressive. He has looked at them and has checked them out but he has continued to swim around and go about his tank.

I have attached videos of the shrimp, just to make sure they won't hurt Gibb's and there also is a video if you go to http://weownedthattown.tumblr.com/post/43943425290/gibbs-checking-out-ziva-tony-and-mcgee and you can watch him check them out.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I don't know much about whisker shrimp. But I know that with ghost shrimp if they don't have the red joints then they are te aggressive kinds that you want to avoid. I honestly haven't even heard of whisker shrimp before, where did you purchase them? I kind of think that these might just be te ghost shrimp that you are supposed to avoid.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know much about whisker shrimp. But I know that with ghost shrimp if they don't have the red joints then they are te aggressive kinds that you want to avoid. I honestly haven't even heard of whisker shrimp before, where did you purchase them? I kind of think that these might just be te ghost shrimp that you are supposed to avoid.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/5a05bf97683d4e9d5e60f46b6283256a/tumblr_mirc5tGOhh1s6t8pfo2_500.jpg

http://24.media.tumblr.com/3bb7028bbd6d761f25fb6c542949fc7f/tumblr_mirc5tGOhh1s6t8pfo1_500.jpg

those are the little buggers that i got

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
not sure if whisker shrimps are aggressive.

my amanos are growing 1 1/2" and very peaceful shrimps, almost look like a ghost shrimp and a whisker shrimp. they molt twice a week, at least I can count because they also clean up and eat their shell

·
Registered
154 Posts
A quick google search on these guys says they get bigger, 1.5"- 2" and will kill and eat any fish, shrimp or snail they can. They are a predator species, I wouldn't keep them with a betta.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A quick google search on these guys says they get bigger, 1.5"- 2" and will kill and eat any fish, shrimp or snail they can. They are a predator species, I wouldn't keep them with a betta.
oh.. well, then, i guess i will be taking them back tomorrow. shouldn't have even gotten them esp since the guy told me he's not normally in aquatics -_-

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I like Amano shrimp and Red Cherry Shrimp. They both eat algae and my bettas are fine with them and the RCS babies.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I like Amano shrimp and Red Cherry Shrimp. They both eat algae and my bettas are fine with them and the RCS babies.
Amano are a good choice, but I wouldn't risk RCS with a betta until you put a cheaper shrimp in there like a ghost to see how he reacts. Even then, with as bright as an RCS is, they basically are a bulls eye for a betta and would likely end up as a meal for them.

I wouldn't try any brightly colored shrimp unless you are prepared to lose a few and are heavily planted so they can hide if need be

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Well, my shrimplets hang around my bettas, so ... I guess it depends on the fish.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Amano are a good choice, but I wouldn't risk RCS with a betta until you put a cheaper shrimp in there like a ghost to see how he reacts. Even then, with as bright as an RCS is, they basically are a bulls eye for a betta and would likely end up as a meal for them.

I wouldn't try any brightly colored shrimp unless you are prepared to lose a few and are heavily planted so they can hide if need be
+1

actually, i saw my amano cleaning the algae off Yo the Golden Mystery Snail's shell, kind of cute...

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Well, my shrimplets hang around my bettas, so ... I guess it depends on the fish.

Oh yeah, it definitely depends on the fish, I was trying to make that point in my first point.
But in my situation, I trust all my fish with ghosties, they will try to attack them the first few days, but have only ever killed a few. But, as soon as I tried an RCS with any of them, well, the RCS became a meal within a day.

It's something you have to keep a close eye on, and you really have to know the tempermant of your betta if you dont want to waste $5 (if store bought) on a shrimp.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Yeah, my shrimp all came from my boyfriend's stock. They're $5 each here too, yet they want $0.25 per shrimp if you sell them. Yeah, no. Still, my bettas killed ghost shrimp, but not RCS. The RCS seem to have a way with the bettas. Feeding time, they hide, but every other time they're fine. They even swim through the water past the bettas. I've never seen Amano shrimp around here. I heard a possibility once, but they were the same price as the RCS.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Between my two bettas, one will kill the RCS if he can while the other could care less about them. My lps sells the cherries for .99 so its no big deal if a few get chomped plus they breed pretty well in the community tank.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Between my two bettas, one will kill the RCS if he can while the other could care less about them. My lps sells the cherries for .99 so its no big deal if a few get chomped plus they breed pretty well in the community tank.
Wow $0.99 each is a great price.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
.99? LUCKY! Lol
The only way I can enjoy paying .99 a piece is if I buy online, which doesn't end up truly being .99 a piece when shipping is factored in.
My LFS said that he was able to sell them for .50 a piece if you bought 25+ though

1 - 20 of 22 Posts