Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious what, if any, meds or treatments I should buy to have handy at my house in the instance that either of my boys come down with something.

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
The best medication is good care... But I know you weren't asking that :).

I like to keep aquarium salt (minor external problems), epsom salt (internal issues, usually has to do with bloating of some sort), kanaplex (broad spectrum and very effective antibiotic), and seachem paraguard on hand, but the paraguard isn't really nesessary. I find that most of these are recommended by others to have on hand.

I also like to keep clove oil for euthanasia and Indian Almond Leaf for its multiple uses.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
+1 to MattsBettas

I also keep API's General Cure on hand just incase something takes a turn for the worst super quickly.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both! :)

Yeah, with any luck I'm hoping to never need to treat either of my boys for anything, but I would hate to be in a position like I was with Beaker - my sickly rescue - where I could tell he wasn't doing well but it was too late at night to go get anything, and as a result he didn't make it through the night. This way, if either of them do by chance get sick, I'll have what's needed already waiting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If your local pet stores have recurring complaints of certain diseases picking up some stuff to cure those is normally a good idea. I like to keep Ick guard on hand because the only pet store in our area has some serious problems keeping Ick out of their tanks (black mollies looked like Dalmations when I went to see about getting some silk plants)... so I picked some up (from Walmart) in case me or a friend gets a fish from there that has it. Most don't consider it a must-have, but around here it's good to keep just in case. A friend of mine breeds tropical fish for fun and he's lost entire tanks because of Ick from fish in that store. Luckily I've never needed to use it and hopefully I never do, but that's the case with any medicine lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.