Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hello! We have had out crowntail betta Opal for 5 days now.
I am not sure if he is okay or not. The first day I told myself he was acclimating.
But behavior is the same.

Firstly. He is very active. Flares a lot. I have changed the background multiple times. But he seems agitated at every wall of the tank.

Tank is 5.5 gallon with a heater and filter. Sits between 78-80. Light on around 11 am and off between 9-10pm. 2 planta. 1 marimo moss ball.

Tank mates include 5 ghost shrimp and one amano shrimp.
He has harrassed all. But seems to not bother them anymore, but they also hide all the time now.

I have also seen him swim down to the bottem of the tank and eat stuff put of the rocks. Spits it back out. But attempts to eat it. Also. Should note I've seen him actually eat and keep in 3-5 pellets in total. I have pellets and flakes and thinking of starting a brine shrimp tank for live feeding. But I'm concerned he will never calm down and eat normally.

He has however, created a bubble nest two times since we've had him.

He does not follow my finger and just seems *angry* all the time.

He does not appear. To have ick from what I can tell. Just the behavior is what is alarming me.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,386 Posts
It often takes a couple of weeks for Betta to completely acclimate to their new home and this includes glass surfing. Once he realizes the other Betta is not real he should settle down.

Get a timer and set the tank for eight hour-only. This will help you avoid algae.

As I've stated before, one gorgeous boy.

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
Bubblenesting tends to increase territorial/aggressive behaviour. So that's probably not helping with the pacing and flaring.

Some males are also just much more territorial and aggressive in general. Even if given time to adjust to the new environment. One of my males was like that the entire time I owned him. He'd even flare at me.

It's only been five days. Some fish will adjust to a new environment in a matter of hours, others it can take days or even weeks before they feel completely at ease.

The disinterest in the pellets could be because he's so unsettled, or it could be the case that he's one of those fish with strong preferences when it comes food. I've got a few like that here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys so much for the advice! I will get a timer on indeed! And is there any recommendations with the food? 🙂 again thank you guys so much!

·
Super Moderator
18,386 Posts
Any food with whole fish or fish meal is good. Avoid those with a lot of fillers at the very beginning of the ingredient list.

For extruded food I feed NorthFin Betta Bits and Fluval Bug Bites. Have fed New Life Spectrum. Some like Omega One. I include frozen foods like Bloodworms, "Mini" Bloodworms (mosquito larva), Brine Shrimp and Krill (well-rinsed).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts