Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I recently bought my first fish a few days ago (Saw the poor thing in a cup that someone had just left in the stationary section at the store that I work at so I decided to bring him home). He's a white crown tailed betta. He seems to be relatively active and after looking up a lot of photo references, seems to be a relatively healthy weight. However there's something that has a me a bit worried. I know that it's common for bettas to not want to eat when you first bring them home since the new environment can be a lot to take in, but he seems to take less interest in food over time instead of gaining more interest. I bought him tuesday night (3 days ago) so I figured he would be improving by now.

When I first put him his his tank I gave him a few pellets to see if he would take them (being as I don't trust the store that I work at to feed their fish ever) and he ate a few. The next day he didn't want to eat any, but instead nipped at his pellets. I had hoped that this meant that he was taking some small bits off of them perhaps. I worried over it anyways and bought him some flakes and freeze dried blood worms to see if he would eat those better, but he wouldn't even look at them. Today I couldn't even get him to look at any food of any sort.

His tank is really small. I'm not sure what it holds, but it's a betta cube by aqua culture. It's really not a good tank for a betta to actually live in, but I bought it as a temporary one until I get a roomier filtered tank. I do have a small heater that keeps his tank at a nice 77F and some little mushroom decorations for him to rest on.

One last question. I tend to work kinda late and usually get home at around 11:30pm. Since my betta stays in my room, I end up turning the lights on when he's asleep so that I can find my things to go take a shower. This isn't harmful for him is it?

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! :wave:

Sometimes it can take more than a week to feel comfortable enough to eat. You could try frozen bloodworms, Mysis Shrimp or Daphnia. The last two are great to have on hand should he become ill.

Unfortunately, a Betta Cube is less than a half gallon; .3 to be exact. If you can take it back and get a 5.5 empty tank at PetCo for $13.00 that would be better for him. Use plastic wrap over the top and it will help keep his tank even warmer. A desk lamp will work, too. As long as he has a heater the filter can wait. BTW, if you have a Meijer nearby, they have a 5.5 gallon on sale through tomorrow for around $10.

The bad thing about the Betta Cube and why I would return it is the rapidness with which Ammonia will build. With that tank you'll need to do 100% water changes at least every other day and that is extremely stressful for fish.

I wouldn't worry about the lights disrupting his schedule.

Good luck!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I agree with everything Russell said about the Cube; you can get tanks that are less "showy" but will make your betta much happier and healthier for around the same price, sometimes less. 2.5 gallons is the minimum recommended size for a betta tank, but remember that larger tanks not only make for happier bettas, but less sensitive water parameters. The larger your tank, the easier it is to get good filtration established, the less likely it is for your filter to crash, and the more slowly toxic chemicals will build up in the water. Compared to the 100% water changes 2-3 times a week you'll need to do with something as small as the cube, my divided 10-gallon tank with two bettas in it - now that it's fully cycled - gets two 25% water changes a week.

Also, the plastic wrap - or a glass lid, if you can afford one, but I understand they're something of a luxury, what with often costing as much as the tank itself or even more - is a necessity, as some bettas do have a tendency to jump out of their tanks!

As for the light schedule, I have an odd work schedule myself, and worried about the same thing. Bettas don't have eyelids, so they can't sleep when the lights go on like we can. I'm probably just being ridiculous, but I made a tank cover out of a laundry hamper I found on Amazon that fits the dimensions of my 10-gallon tank almost exactly. I just cut the divider out of it (it was sold as a two-section hamper), turned it upside down, and voila - fish curtains. Prior to finding that more elegant solution I used to cover the tank with an old beach towel at night.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh ok. Thanks guys! Also, should I try to wait
Until he gets to where he'll finally eat before I change
tanks? I'm scared of stressing him out more and I think the water full water change that I did on Wednesday might have stressed him

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
in the tank that size you'll want to keep the 100% changes every other day. If you can get him a bigger tank before the next change, just set up the bigger tank, get it warm, then acclimate him into it and it should be fine. He might even feel like eating in a bigger tank. They can go weeks without food if needed. (not necessarily good for them to go weeks without food but they'll be ok in a pinch)

·
Registered
192 Posts
The water in the new tank will also be basically the same as the water in his current tank, because it's coming from the same tap and you'll be adding the same stuff to it (you are using a dechlorinator of some kind, right? like Prime or something?) so even though it will be a new environment visually it won't "feel" as different to him as the move from the pet store, which would've had very different water parameters. Most of the stress fish feel in moving to a new home comes from the chemical composition of the water being different, not from being in a different physical space.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got him a nice 5 gallon tank with some a couple of silk plants, and a rubber Anemone, a rubber jelly fish, a new heater, and a filter. He sat at the top for awhile not moving much (probably taking in the situation). I don't think he's very familiar with water currents from filters as it seemed to take him a bit to adjust to it. He's slowly starting to explore more, though. Since it's night now, I'll try feeding him in the morning. Should give him enough time to get used to things

1 - 7 of 7 Posts