Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed a few days ago that Kaleidy had a cloudy eye, just one. Since I am waiting patiently for my dividers, I let her have the run of my 20 gallon tank. Just a heater and a sponge filter were in the tank. I used IAL for the last 2 days without change. I have erythromycin on hand. What do you suggest?
Temp: 78-80
I don’t check water parameters.
Food: Devour bug formula
Prime water conditioner
I have only had her a week. Thanks

She looks so mad at me!

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 20
Does it have a filter? Yes, sponge
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 78-80
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Not other than sponge
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?
No
Food:
What food brand do you use? Devour
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Crumbs
Freeze-dried? Not yet
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Twice/day pinch

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Fish is new
What percentage of water did you change?
What is the source of your water? City
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? No substrate yet
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Prime

Water Parameters:N/A
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 3 days ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? One cloudy eye
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? No
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? IAL
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? ?
How long have you owned your Betta? a week
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Didn’t notice

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Hi!
I don’t check water parameters.
How long has this tank been up and running? Is it cycled? Even so, it is still of value to double-check what's going on to make sure things haven't gotten out of whack - you'd be surprised what can happen in their watery environment, particularly if you don't vacuum up the uneaten food/poops whether bare-bottom or substrate.

I can't tell in the photo, is that eye also popped a little bit? Anyway, I've read that a cloudy eye can possibly be treated but I'm not familiar with what/how - hopefully someone else comes in to your thread that is :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi!

How long has this tank been up and running? Is it cycled? Even so, it is still of value to double-check what's going on to make sure things haven't gotten out of whack - you'd be surprised what can happen in their watery environment, particularly if you don't vacuum up the uneaten food/poops whether bare-bottom or substrate.

I can't tell in the photo, is that eye also popped a little bit? Anyway, I've read that a cloudy eye can possibly be treated but I'm not familiar with what/how - hopefully someone else comes in to your thread that is :)
Thanks Mb,
The tank has been up about a week before I put Kailedy in it. I feel this is an injury and not a water issue. I am trying salt in her tank now (not the 20 gallon) I don't want to use the wrong medication for the issue.....if someone has treated a cloudy eye with erythromycin I would appreciate a response.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I feel this is an injury and not a water issue.
I'm not saying whether the eye is an injury or a water issue.

What I'm saying is that on a consistent, regular basis you need to know what is going on in the tank environment, and if you aren't cleaning the uneaten food and poops out, also on a regular consistent basis, the ammonia parameter is climbing and harming your fish in general.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not saying whether the eye is an injury or a water issue.

What I'm saying is that on a consistent, regular basis you need to know what is going on in the tank environment, and if you aren't cleaning the uneaten food and poops out, also on a regular consistent basis, the ammonia parameter is climbing and harming your fish in general.
Mb, I think you assumed I don’t vacuum my 20 gallon tank because I do not have any substrate yet. 1 fish in a 20 gallon tank alone had not made enough waste in a week’s time to vacuum. I do have a vacuum and a turkey baster and use them often.

·
Premium Member
2 chihuahuas, a chameleon, 4 betta splendens and 1 betta mahachai.
771 Posts
Could be cataracts, a bacterial infection, or popeye. Without water parameters it may be hard to know. Where is she from?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could be cataracts, a bacterial infection, or popeye. Without water parameters it may be hard to know. Where is she from?
I got her from eBay, (within the US) but her eye was clear when I got her. I have erythromycin but does that work on eyes?

·
Registered
186 Posts
If it's a cataract, there's nothing you can do. If it is not, most cloudy eye cases can be treated successfully simply by doing a series of 50% water changes every other day or so.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it's a cataract, there's nothing you can do. If it is not, most cloudy eye cases can be treated successfully simply by doing a series of 50% water changes every other day or so.
Thank you, I have been doing that.

·
Super Moderator
21,798 Posts
I agree with imaal. No real need for meds at this point. Normally, infections will be bilateral. So most likely cataract or injury. Either way, clean water is her best friend. In a smaller tank 50% x 2 per week.

I might have missed it: Was the opaqueness sudden or gradual?

Quoting Cataracts in Salmonids – Gross Pathology - Fish Pathology

"A wide variety of causes of primary cataracts have been described in farmed fish. These include nutritional imbalances, rapid growth, variation in water temperature, exposure to ultraviolet light, gas supersaturation, change in water salinity, genetic susceptibility, environmental toxins, toxic side effects of drug treatment, and parasitic infestation.

"Grossly, cataracts are usually observed as a partial or total opacity of the lens. In initial stages small white spots are observed in the central part of the lens and in advanced stages the entire lens is involved. Sometimes white halos are observed in the lens."

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree with imaal. No real need for meds at this point. Normally, infections will be bilateral. So most likely cataract or injury. Either way, clean water is her best friend. In a smaller tank 50% x 2 per week.

I might have missed it: Was the opaqueness sudden or gradual?

Quoting Cataracts in Salmonids – Gross Pathology - Fish Pathology

"A wide variety of causes of primary cataracts have been described in farmed fish. These include nutritional imbalances, rapid growth, variation in water temperature, exposure to ultraviolet light, gas supersaturation, change in water salinity, genetic susceptibility, environmental toxins, toxic side effects of drug treatment, and parasitic infestation.

"Grossly, cataracts are usually observed as a partial or total opacity of the lens. In initial stages small white spots are observed in the central part of the lens and in advanced stages the entire lens is involved. Sometimes white halos are observed in the lens."
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
21,798 Posts
The opaqueness was sudden, wasn't it? You can see in that article how cataracts first appear. If Kaleidy's eye didn't gradually change I'd say injury. We've had members who swear by banana leaves for cloudy eyes. Sorry I forgot about that until just now.

·
Super Moderator
886 Posts
Unilateral pop eye is usually an injury as previously mentioned. I had a guy a few months back that injured his eye and it was cloudy and he had a hard time seeing out of it for a few weeks. I made him a dark IAL tea and he recovered just fine.

erythromycin is a lot harsher than is necessary in my opinion. There was a case similar to this on the forums not that long ago and @Veloran had suggested using epsom salt instead of aquarium salt to bring the swelling down, might be worth a try.

·
Super Moderator
886 Posts
For what it's worth, unless I'm cycling or think there is an issue I don't test either. I understand being comfortable with what's going on in your tank. In some cases it may be harder to advise without parameters but in the case of an injury, clean water, IAL and sometimes salt is usually all that's needed.

·
Super Moderator
21,798 Posts
The Following is From the Entire Moderator Team:

We are so fortunate that when people give advice or wish to make a suggestion on this Forum that they do so politely and in a non-judgmental way. However, once the member acknowledges a post there is really no need to further elaborate or explain.

Criticism, implied or direct, and snark are unacceptable and violate Forum Rule #5 :"If you can't be nice, be civil. If you can't be civil, please don't post." Such posts will be removed.

Parameters, while nice to have, are not always necessary. As BettaLoverSara noted, in this case the issue very strongly points to the sudden unilateral cloudiness brought on by an injury and not a water quality issue.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts