Betta Fish Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i got a new tank for my male and i keep him by the window but i was wondering if the sun heated the tnk then it got colder during the night wuld that kil my betta?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Uh well, you should have a heater in your tank to make sure the temperature is stable. If you don't live in an tropical area (and even people still do they still get heaters), you should most definitely get a heater.

The only concern you should have about placing your tank next to the window is overexcessive sunlight which might cause an algae bloom, or algae/diatoms growing on your tank walls.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Uh well, you should have a heater in your tank to make sure the temperature is stable. If you don't live in an tropical area (and even people still do they still get heaters), you should most definitely get a heater.

The only concern you should have about placing your tank next to the window is overexcessive sunlight which might cause an algae bloom, or algae/diatoms growing on your tank walls.
ok well i have no heater sooo is it ok that i leave him by the window or not?

·
Registered
843 Posts
No. Its not okay to rely on the sun to keep the tank warm. Water temperature can drop 10 degrees over night, which can cause problems for your fish. Like Micho said, the sun can also increase algae, which is bad for the tank. You need a heater like you need food for your fish.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No. Its not okay to rely on the sun to keep the tank warm. Water temperature can drop 10 degrees over night, which can cause problems for your fish. Like Micho said, the sun can also increase algae, which is bad for the tank. You need a heater like you need food for your fish.
my fish eats dead babys it doesnt eat food

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Yeah you should really get a heater, to be honest, if you want your Betta to be happy I strongly suggest you pick up a heater.

Bettas are tropical fish, in order for them to thrive and to be happy they need tropical water which is 76F ~ 82F.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah you should really get a heater, to be honest, if you want your Betta to be happy I strongly suggest you pick up a heater.

Bettas are tropical fish, in order for them to thrive and to be happy they need tropical water which is 76F ~ 82F.
oh thats ok i just cut of my big toe, heat it up i nthe microwave and tho it in the tnk it heats it up nice

·
Registered
318 Posts
If you can't get a heater, the next best thing is a thermometer. That way at least you can check to see the temperature change day vs. night. That way you can move your tank away from the window when and if needed, if the tank is small enough.

If your tank is kept out of direct sunlight (which can overheat a tank) and the window is not open, this should minimize temperature changes and algae growth.

There are small submersible heaters available now for the smaller tanks. I have a 10 watt heater in my little 1 gal. cube. It cost me about $10 USD. It will heat a tank up to 5 gal.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you can't get a heater, the next best thing is a thermometer. That way at least you can check to see the temperature change day vs. night. That way you can move your tank away from the window when and if needed, if the tank is small enough.

If your tank is kept out of direct sunlight (which can overheat a tank) and the window is not open, this should minimize temperature changes and algae growth.

There are small submersible heaters available now for the smaller tanks. I have a 10 watt heater in my little 1 gal. cube. It cost me about $10 USD. It will heat a tank up to 5 gal.
i juts told u about my big toe?? aint tht good enough?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Are you REALLY trolling a fish forum? :/ Seriously?

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
yes they are trolling.

Just report them and they can be warned/banned :roll: easy peasy then we can get back to actually helping REAL fish owners not someone like this.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you REALLY trolling a fish forum? :/ Seriously?
im just saying, its lived without a heater for a good couple of years soo i think itll be finein my room

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes they are trolling.

Just report them and they can be warned/banned :roll: easy peasy then we can get back to actually helping REAL fish owners not someone like this.
u wernt helping me soo therefor i turned into a smart A i asked if it was ok and it took forever to get my answer i didnt ask anything about a heater i asked if it was ok if my tank went up a few degrees during the day -_-

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
You are being snarky, and rude. If you lack patience then get rid of the fish - and stop coming to this site. People aren't going to hop on the thread the second it comes up.

Want an answer? okay fine here it is

IT IS NOT OKAY TO HAVE THE FISH RIGHT NEXT OR UNDER A WINDOW.

The drafts are the least of your problems. In summer my tanks (small or big) get to 100 degrees. In winter it can drop to 55 degrees in their water. THAT IS A DRASTIC TEMPERATURE CHANGE. overnight water that sits there, can drop 2-12 degrees. THAT IS DANGEROUS TO THE FISH'S HEALTH.

You said your "fish was fine for a few years" without a heater well good for you then why bother asking questions? Since you know, you're perfect and already know the answer.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You are being snarky, and rude. If you lack patience then get rid of the fish - and stop coming to this site. People aren't going to hop on the thread the second it comes up.

Want an answer? okay fine here it is

IT IS NOT OKAY TO HAVE THE FISH RIGHT NEXT OR UNDER A WINDOW.

The drafts are the least of your problems. In summer my tanks (small or big) get to 100 degrees. In winter it can drop to 55 degrees in their water. THAT IS A DRASTIC TEMPERATURE CHANGE. overnight water that sits there, can drop 2-12 degrees. THAT IS DANGEROUS TO THE FISH'S HEALTH.

You said your "fish was fine for a few years" without a heater well good for you then why bother asking questions? Since you know, you're perfect and already know the answer.
-_- ididnt ask about the heater i asked about the window andik people dont jump right on threads (even tho most of the time they do) i havnt putthe fish in it yet im sayign when i did get the answer but i was just say9ing dont answer questions i didnt ask

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Let people give you advice! you come across as rude if you start "trolling" because "oh my god" you got some advice to have a healthier betta. I don't mind tanks near windows - heck I have one under the window and it is a 20 gallon. But it has a heater and a hood, so it's not as bad as a small tank, no heater. My tank stays at a steady 78 even with the drafty window - the hood helps keep the drafts from being bad inside the tank.

Take advice..

you don't HAVE to do what they say, but hey, it could be like someone saying "oh on a side note, if you fast your betta a day of the week it helps - just in case you didn't know" kind of thing... you'll always get that here. If you want a "only answer the question then shut up" then we'll do so, then unsuscribe from the thread when we replied.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Look, just because it has lived a couple of a years doesn't mean anything.

Yes Bettas can live without a heater they are hardy fish, but will they be happy in colder water? No. It's like humans, we can live below 0 degrees Celsius but will we be happy without heat? Surely not.

We're trying to give you advice here and you're being rather rude and trolling, either you take our advice, if you don't like what we're advising might as well stop visiting this site. :T

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
I'm just going to start blocking people again :roll: I hate doing it but hey, why bother helping people who just one one thing answered, and could care less about some helpful info? I'm unsuscribing. Not worth my time.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm just going to start blocking people again :roll: I hate doing it but hey, why bother helping people who just one one thing answered, and could care less about some helpful info? I'm unsuscribing. Not worth my time.
i apprietiat it!!:)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Look, just because it has lived a couple of a years doesn't mean anything.

Yes Bettas can live without a heater they are hardy fish, but will they be happy in colder water? No. It's like humans, we can live below 0 degrees Celsius but will we be happy without heat? Surely not.

We're trying to give you advice here and you're being rather rude and trolling, either you take our advice, if you don't like what we're advising might as well stop visiting this site. :T
you are 2 ppl saying if i dont liek what u 2 r doign then sop visiting the site? its mos tppl on here help me but you 2 took about 6 messeges to help

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.