Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I just joined, thank you. :) Our family has two bettas that were labeled at Petco as “baby females”...we quickly got a second tank as one betta seemed to constantly be pecking at the other (smaller) betta. Our tanks are the 2.1-gal Imagitarium filtered, and we have a small heater in each. One betta grew much larger more quickly, and has flowing fins, while the other has remained smaller and more compact, so I am wondering if one was mislabeled and is really a male?? My question somewhat has to do with that, as we got a single snail for each tank for “cleaning” purposes (and just because it’s fun to have an “ecosystem”). This was about 3 months ago. The snail in the smaller betta’s tank is still gliding around actively. The first snail in the larger, showier betta’s tank died about a month and a half ago, so we got another snail. I noticed last night that this new snail has also now died. :( I put it in a small bowl with tank water to be sure, and it’s lying there with the door open and the insides slightly poking out, unresponsive to touch. :( :( I have only seen the betta peck at it once or twice when it was first placed in the tank, but I am wondering if this larger, more territorial betta is killing the snails. These are my daughters’ fish, and she was sad about the first snail, so will also be sad about this one and will want another. Is there anything else living that can go in this tank, or is this my indication to let this betta have it’s entire territory to itself?? Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. As for your snail problem, there are no for sure answers to this question. If the betta is killing the snail you would not see the attacks. They would be done at night and the lights off. That being said Snails for the most part only live about 1 year. The questions you have to ask your self is this. Snails eat algae is there enough algae in the tank. if not snails starve to death very quickly. They don't eat poop or food that is left over from feeding your betta. So this could be a very good possibility for the death other than the betta killing it. I've had snails in betta tanks for years and the reasons for the die off is no food and no calcium (like egg shells or cuddle bone. ) They need calcium to keep their shell hard. I have never had a betta kill a snail no matter how aggressive he is to other fish.

Before adding another snail to the tank make a large water change and check your parameters Make sure the tank is cycled and the water tests are in the right ranges. Get algae wafers to supplement for not having any algae in the tank. Or wait until your tank starts to produce algae. Either way you need a food source in the tank for snails to live.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Old Dog 59....that makes sense!! We got the snails from a store called “Pet & Aquatic Warehouse” and they claimed we wouldn’t need to feed the snails. BUT there’s not any visible algae in the tanks either. I feel terrible if we starved the snail to death. Thank you for this insight. We are so new to tanks and tank life. So if we have a snail, we need to add a calcium source? We still have the one in the smaller fish’s tank so I need to do the right thing for it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts