Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone - after a lengthy hiatus I find myself drawn right back into the world of betta keeping. I have a female and two neons in a 5 gal top fin retreat tank. It's planted, and there are quite a few plants in there. I also have a ghost shrimp. I have a great The trouble is that all the plants are babies, and of course they will grow large soon. In the meantime, I already have algae growing in the tank and even on the grass. I can scrub the tank, but not the plants without uprooting them. I also don't know if I have enough light because the kelvins are listed NOWHERE. Anyone have any words of wisdom?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I leave it on as long as possible, probably 16 on and 8 off. I'm really worried about not enough light!

·
Registered
31 Posts
The plant in the back left isn't doing well. Leaves turning yellow and brown. I trimmed it back today.

20190604_170310_1560392978308.jpg

·
Super Moderator
19,467 Posts
The main cause of algae is too much light and too low oxygen. You can increase the flow of your filter or add a bubbler or bubble wand to help with the oxygen.

Output on the light is 33 PAR to the bottom. It is basically the same as a Fluval Spec 5. The lights need to go back to eight on and 16 off.

What plants do you have?

Keep in mind the tank's residents: They need a normal photo period and keeping the light on that long can cause them problems just as it can us.

Edit: Just saw the tank photo. Are you fertilizing? Too much light can cause plants to yellow.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, that's really good advice. I'm clearly over exposing with the light! I don't think I can use a timer with this set up, since the light and pump are on the same connection. But I can certainly cut down on the time of the light. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts