Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always had a hard time keeping aquarium plants alive, but I think I'm going to give it a go, and start with something really easy, like a couple marimo balls. But I have read horror stories on this site about all of the nasty little creatures that aquarium plants can introduce to a tank. I definitely don't want to be overrun with snails or any other little hitchhikers, so is there anything I can do to prevent it? A long time ago, I read something about soaking them in diluted bleach (and of course rinsing well before adding to the tank). Would this be safe? If so, what bleach-to-water ratio should I use? If not, is there anything else I can do?

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have always had a hard time keeping aquarium plants alive, but I think I'm going to give it a go, and start with something really easy, like a couple marimo balls. But I have read horror stories on this site about all of the nasty little creatures that aquarium plants can introduce to a tank. I definitely don't want to be overrun with snails or any other little hitchhikers, so is there anything I can do to prevent it? A long time ago, I read something about soaking them in diluted bleach (and of course rinsing well before adding to the tank). Would this be safe? If so, what bleach-to-water ratio should I use? If not, is there anything else I can do?

I recently had to bleach my aquarium plants to make sure the bacteria that Ruger died from was killed off of the plants. If I recall correctly, I used 1/4 cup of bleach to just over 2 cups of water, then dunked the plants in it. I let them sit for about 5 minutes, then rinsed them a few times and set them in a gallon of fresh dechlorinated water. They did fine (several java ferns, an anubias plant and a marimo moss ball) and all but the anubias are now in with my betta, Sapphira and the anubias is in with Brutus.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.