Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm totally new to fish keeping but I've caught the elusive "betta bug" since my Aunt got me very special present for Christmas all the way back in 2015 (not that far lol). She handed me a good size vase with a betta resting in the roots of a lucky bamboo plant sticking out the top. Yes the famous not so wonderful betta tank. Of course I was excited, ghowever when I took the vase home I found out that maybe this enclosure wasn't quite suitable for my fishy prince. After lots of chores I had to do for it, I finally dragged my Mom to Big Al's, and tryied to persuade her into a 10 gallon which she refused saying I didn't have room. I begged for the five gallon, eventually refusing to leave the store until she allowed me to buy the tank. I got it along with black gravel, 6 amazon sword, a mossball, a bridge, and a dragon statue, after she caved because she needed to pick up my sister.

My tank is 5 gallons and includes 10 plants, being 6 amazon sword, the three stalks of bamboo hes had since the vase, and a mossball. It has black gravel with plant substrate hidden underneath, and the gems from his vase days under the bridge to look like a river. He's taken to using his dragon as his hut, swimming down its throat or just chilling in its mouth. I cycled my tank with filter media from my Uncles Goldfish tank along with the cartridge that came with my filter. I have the betta hammock from ZooMed which he likes to rest on along with the roots of his bamboo for old times sake. His heater is 25 watts and Hydor Aquarium Heater. He's got a companion, a gold mystery snail I named Azar for keeping the algae at bay eating the fibers and leaves from the plants.

My routine right now is feeding him three betta bio gold pellets in the morning, and three at night. Feeding him frozen or freeze dried food on Saturday because it's my favourite day of the week so he should enjoy it too, followed by a pea on Sunday and fasting on Mondays. I do a spot cleaning with a turkey baster on Wednesday and a light (as to not disturb the roots of my plants) gravel siphoning on Sunday.

Kiro is very, very active, with tons of personality. He's a beautiful green/turquoise in light and looks almost steel or even royal blue in low lights. I could talk about him all day. He's pretty aggressive, he even bit his filter once because it bothered him. Azar, the snail, used to get the brunt of this aggression but Kiro has since given up trying to crack the shell and they have a mutual trust. Sometimes I even find them cuddling together because they like the same hiding spots!

If anybody bothered to read all that, props to you! I guess my question is really just is this a good routine and am I doing a good job with my betta? What tail type is he, I think he's a half moon but I'm not totally sure and I'd like confirmation on that :) (Sorry one of the photos is upside down, I have no idea how to fix that. Just tilt your head a little lol)

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what happens when you find experienced betta keepers on the Internet! I'll be sure to look through it, thank you :0

1 - 3 of 3 Posts