Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
I tried kitty litter in one of my tanks and I wasn't pleased.....anytime you pulled and re-planted...big mess.......the tank I used a 25/75 mix- kitty litter and dirt works great...no problems, however, I like the native clay I can get in my yard better....

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah that was a problem I have heard about. I wouldn't mind trying it in my 5 gallon, though I am enjoying dirt. OFL do you cap with sand or gravel?

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
I use mainly playsand and pool filter sand-some I use a tiny bit of small diameter gravel on top of some stem plants to help hold them in place until they root/anchor....either sand or small diameter gravel will work for the cap.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So do you recommend mixing in some of that kitty litter to the dirt to boost the plants? I would of course do this while setting up the tank.

I think my next tank I will cap with gravel to see the difference. I will probably also do a 50/50 mix.

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
I like to mix in some type of clay in my soil-be it kitty litter or native clay in my yard for the added iron for my sword plants.....I also make clay balls out of my native clay-then allow them to dry in the sun to make it easier to cram in the soil under the sword plants as needed...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts