Betta Fish Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

Registered
That is brilliant.
Very good about the dogs. Must make a huge difference on Vet Days.

Our office desks are lined up in banks, each with the uniform screen, hub and plug in points.
I try not to work in there at all.
Feel like a battery hen when I do.

This is my desk at home.

Had to move the central laptop into the middle to make room for the new tank, but since I have both laptops plugged into the big screen and work on that, it makes no difference really.

and this is the new 5g tank that is cycling now

I'm going to have to get an all black heater, and move the thermometer, but otherwise it is really just a case of waitng for the plants to fill out and the nitrogen cycle to be ready for an occupant.
Can't wait.

Reactions: Ratvan

Registered
Wow! You guys both have such beautiful tanks :O I'm no good at scaping, my 5g looks like an overgrown swamp xD My husband prefers the overgrown swamp look but dang I want a tank like yours lol

Good to hear about Ouro 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks, I've grown up growing Orchids so visual presentation has been with me a while.

Ok so I have a couple of shots of Kojin from Yesterday, sadly wasn't able to upload at the time show am doing this now, this is Kojin in his role of "Cat TV". The Cat is named Gable, he is at least 8 years old and has partial blindness (another Rescue). I've not seen Kojin flare at him yet and Gable doesn't seem all that interested in Kojin. The Cory Cats however, a different story.

Then we have a couple of shots of Ouro from this morning, his fins look like they're slowly healing and no new bites. YAY!!

Attachments

Reactions: bluesamphire

Registered
What is it with you and rescues? I swear every animal you have is rescued!

Gable is soo cute, love that he ignores Kojin and focuses on the Cory Cats. Do you think that he has issues seeing Colour as well as partial blindness? Don't you have another Cat and Dogs? Do they do the same?

Is that a Flare mirror I spot as well?

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
Yeah I have only bought 1 Animal, that was my Dog Dave. I was hammered in London and bought him from Harrods!

I'm not really sure, sometimes he can see toys other times he can't see when I have moved the sofa, its all a bit hit or miss. Plus he is a little bit stupid. Although I did have to polish paw prints off Kojin's tank this morning. So clearly someone is interested, Gable or Blossom I have no idea.

Blossom is my other cat, she likes Birds. Bird Toys, Bird Songs, Bird Watching. Not seen her take any interest in the tank at all

Then there is Dave, he is more interested in getting into my bins than anything else in life. And sleeping, Dave loves to sleep.

That would be one of Megan's compact mirrors. I don't think it's been noticed it's missing yet.......

Registered
Ouro looks sooooo much happier than last week!
And cat TV is a great thing.
We have a shih tzu who stands on the sofa arm staring into the tank for a few seconds, several times a day - but her attention span is so short that you couldn't actually call it TV. More like 'wassat? ooh, wassat other thing? ooh, wassat out the window? ooh, wassat in the other room?' Whole process takes maybe 10 seconds. lol.

Registered
Discussion Starter #27
Ouro looks sooooo much happier than last week!
And cat TV is a great thing.
We have a shih tzu who stands on the sofa arm staring into the tank for a few seconds, several times a day - but her attention span is so short that you couldn't actually call it TV. More like 'wassat? ooh, wassat other thing? ooh, wassat out the window? ooh, wassat in the other room?' Whole process takes maybe 10 seconds. lol.
Thanks, I was worried about him over the weekend. Very relieved to see him this morning being active. He doesn't come to me yet, whether he doesn't recognise me yet, doesn't like me yet or is a grumpy boy I have no idea but I hope that'll come. He's working nicely on his flaring, but swimming with a damaged dorsal fin seems to cause him issues as he does seem to "topple" in the water, but my my does he have a turn of speed on him!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #28
Well, it has been a little hectic for me since I last updated this Journal. Had a great but stressful Festive Period with some Foster Kittens (nightmare) which sadly and also thankfully have been re homed. I also has to say goodbye to my Dog Dave (Cane Corso) who I had for 11 years (rescued so don't know actual age) as well as the insane return to work after the shut down period.

Kojin is back on my Office Desk, today I am looking to pick up either some RCS or Amano as well as a Nerite or Ramshorn snail. Sadly his light went Yesterday however he and the plants should be fine for a few days until I get a replacement, this has been ordered and i am currently awaiting delivery.

Ouro is currently in my 3 Gallon at home, his fin biting is getting a lot better and can currently see a lot of new growth (transparent but clear edging on fins) however the downside (for me) of this is that he is a speedy little bugger and doesn't stay still for too long so Photographs are hard to take! The final photograph shows Ouro and his own Personnel Trainer Gable, Gable is obsessed with the Fish tank and any movement within it, as you can see Ouro does like to flare at him (I keep this to a minimum due to potential stress issues).

However he still does not really have much of a Dorsal Fin and this seems to be permanently clamped, however he is very active and knows when it is feeding time so not overly concerned (more of an aesthetic thing)

Attachments

Registered
I think I might flare at a giant cat head like that one! lol.

Very sorry to hear about Dave. Breaks your heart when they go, especially after being a wonderful companion for so long.

Registered
Discussion Starter #30
I think I might flare at a giant cat head like that one! lol.

Very sorry to hear about Dave. Breaks your heart when they go, especially after being a wonderful companion for so long.
Thank you, I am sad but I know that I made him as happy and comfortable as I could, it was hard saying goodbye in the vets but it was the right choice to make. He'd been on a lot of medicatiosn for a long time. Yeah Gable does have a Fat Head, strangely he is more interested in the Cory Cats and ignores Ouro flaring away at him

Registered
Discussion Starter #31
I'm going to try and keep this updated as much as possible, not going to be easy as it's looking like I need to find a new place to live. Anyways I rescued a Bunny this weekend, named him Knox. He is a Lionhead Mini Lop Eared Mix. Ouro Hiding under his log and Kojin patrolling the area for RCS. I am aware of the end of his fins, small amount of fin biting

Attachments

Registered
Cute Bunny,
Ouro is looking so much better then when you got him. How are the fins healing up?
Are you sure Kojin is biting and it's not an issue with the Fluval filter? My friend has his in a Spec III and the tails get a little mangled in the overflow/filter chamber

Registered
Discussion Starter #33
Cute Bunny,
Ouro is looking so much better then when you got him. How are the fins healing up?
Are you sure Kojin is biting and it's not an issue with the Fluval filter? My friend has his in a Spec III and the tails get a little mangled in the overflow/filter chamber
Ha thanks, Knox is very well loved by Megan at the minute, not so much by the two cats. lol

His Fins are doing great, so good in fact that it's hard to get a photo of them. It's really just the Dorsal that looks like it needs to regrow as it still looks like 3 spines but this is slowly filling in as I can see white/transparent clear ends on his finnage that wasn't their previously.

I don't get what you mean about the Spec Filter? Behind the grate is a sponge with the Fluval filter media so his fins can't fit through the gap (sponge is flush to top of tank)I don't think it's the tank, I mean the RCS use this sponge to feed on and generally flit around the area without much issue of current

Registered
Discussion Starter #34
Permanant Resisdents

So I went away for the weekend to deal with some family issues. I left Ouro in the capable hand of my Mrs. Who has on occasion made him fat and constipated.

Anyway, the bugger only blow his first bubble nest, a different one for each of the three nights.

I'm home for 2.

0 nests.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #35
Hi Guys,

Been a long time since I updated this. So I went into my LFS today to pick up some bits and pieces that I am working on, the second that I entered the shop I got pulled to one side and told that the shop has a Betta in stock that they're really worried about. Apparently this fish has come from another store, so in my mind she has been in those little Betta Cups for a long time, hence her issues. One look pretty much confirmed to me that this is Dropsy. I have tried to take a few pictures that show the pine coned nature of her scales but I cannot get a decent enough shot. However she has taken down 2 pre soaked Hikari Betta Bio Pellets. But I am not getting up my hopes.

So I am not going to be naming her beyond my typical "Nemo" if she pulls through (I would be surprised) I will consider giving her a real name.

Currently this girl is in a half full 2 Gallon Bucket (Hospital/Quarantine tank currently has some injured Corycats - Ammonia Burns) heated to 80F with some Epsom Salts to try and draw out the swelling and make her more comfortable. I have also suction cupped a Capatta leaf within the "tank" so she can rest within a few inches of the surface.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #36
Well since that only posted half of what I wrote I will continue here.....

I was also given this little Elephant Ear, I was told that he has some severe Swim Bladder Issues. I have sectioned off a small corner of my Corycat tank (using Aquarium Glass) , so he has his own filter in the end section of a 55G. Possibly around 3-5 Gallons?
So he has been happily zipping around the place since I added him at lunch, short of being knocked by the current of my filter now and again I cannot see any issues what so ever..... oh well free fish this one.

Finally, my divided tank at home is now complete. I have Ouro and Opal each in there sections. Most likely I will take my newest male rescue home to complete the trinity of Crowntail, Delta Tail and Elephant Ear.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #37
Hi Guys,

Been a long time since I updated this. So I went into my LFS today to pick up some bits and pieces that I am working on, the second that I entered the shop I got pulled to one side and told that the shop has a Betta in stock that they're really worried about. Apparently this fish has come from another store, so in my mind she has been in those little Betta Cups for a long time, hence her issues. One look pretty much confirmed to me that this is Dropsy. I have tried to take a few pictures that show the pine coned nature of her scales but I cannot get a decent enough shot. However she has taken down 2 pre soaked Hikari Betta Bio Pellets. But I am not getting up my hopes.

So I am not going to be naming her beyond my typical "Nemo" if she pulls through (I would be surprised) I will consider giving her a real name.

Currently this girl is in a half full 2 Gallon Bucket (Hospital/Quarantine tank currently has some injured Corycats - Ammonia Burns) heated to 80F with some Epsom Salts to try and draw out the swelling and make her more comfortable. I have also suction cupped a Capatta leaf within the "tank" so she can rest within a few inches of the surface.
Sadly this girl didn't make it through the night. :(

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter #39
I鈥檓 sorry. Poor little love.
Thank you, I didn't think she would make it but as always I did my best for her and hope she went quickly and quietly. She had warm water and she did eat yesterday.
Just annoyed that I seem to be getting so many Females that have Dropsy from Sorority Tanks and elsewhere at the minute. At least it seems the males are better cared for.

I have decided that the Elephant Ear Male I was given, does not have any issues. I think that he just needs to strengthen in the flow of the filter as I have been watching him all morning and has no issues what so ever, except when he swims in front of the filter. I aim to block the flow of the filter to the front of the tank using another piece of slate that I will cover in moss. Gradually I will move the output nozzle to up the flow over a duration of time. It is currently day 2 and he still doesn't recognise his food, oh well keep trying.

In other news, Opal likes to play Flare "Hide and Seek" around his IAL

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #40
You know I have only noticed that I did not post a photo of Cobalt as he has been named, instead I posted the empty tank shot......oooops
Let me fix that, let me introduce Cobalt.
He loves his Squad of Corydoras and hangs out with the Sterbai's, I have to cup him so that he leaves the algae wafers alone.....
He also loves sleeping with his head in the crypts next to that rock (1st shot)
I can confirm that this should not have been a rescue...... but free fish in great health!!

Attachments

21 - 40 of 63 Posts