Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good betta folks, I'd like to ask for your help in ID-ing my Ryoko. :)

I was shopping for betta supplies when I saw this 2-inch girl pinging off the sides of her cup, practically transparent apart from her stripes! When I picked up the cup, the shop attendant remarked “ah… a plakat.” I asked him if that was what the supplier said they were, and he said he was just guessing.

Ryoko stayed pale for a few more days after I took her home, but then she settled into a kind of murky dark brown. Her unpaired fins are bordered opaque, with very slight texture to the end of her caudal. She has red around her eyes, and the tiniest bit of iridescence. She is quite active, with the healthiest appetite out of my 3 girls - she isn’t picky!

Also… she is the mother of my very first spawn! Which is also why I’m very keen to ID her. The little ones (60 in all) are 12 days old now, and are doing very well. I’ll be starting a spawn log and introducing the sire in the next few days, if things aren’t too hectic. He is my only other pet shop buy out of 9 bettas! I decided to make my first spawn pure lottery, but now my curiosity is getting the better of me. These fry aren't giving me any clues yet!

Anyhow, here she is. Sorry for the huge picture dump, wanted to give a variety of angles. :) These pictures were taken under mix of warm and white lights. Thought that might be pertinent.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
She looks to me like a delta tail or veil tail melano girl, but melano girls are not fertile and you say her fins are more or less semi opaque is some places and she has red wash on her face, she would be classified as a black but she's most likely the result of a melano male with some red genes in her background. Depending on the color of the father you can expect red wash and maybe even a pineapple effect. If the father is a marble or a butterfly you might get some really neat results.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My bad, I meant the ring inside her eye was red. ;p No red wash on her body, at least not any longer. Her first few days at home I thought I saw red on the tips of her fins but that border became solid black as she darkened all over. Only the edges are solid black. Though I see what you mean - she is showing a bit of pineapple effect!

The edge of the tail makes me think possibly plakat or very faint CT influence. Haven't seen a jagged edge on long fins besides CTs. Please correct me if this is misled.The photos are blurry, but here's a closer crop so you can inspect it. Ryoko's tail and dorsal are spotted, if that's any help?

Great guesses about the father! ;p Here's a shot of ****** tending to the nest last week. Banking on that DT spread for some nice wide fins in the fries!

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Ok cool, so she is a delta tail (quarter sun?) meaning 3 or more ancestors were delta tail (or halfmoon) and 1 was crown tail. I can also say her coloring is probably a mix of different blacks, including black lace (where the semi-opaque and opaque spots come from)
So most of your babies will be delta tails with dad's coloring. You probably won't get any double tails, and you definitely won't get any halfmoons.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts