Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently..I have been noticing that my Betta just sits on top of my heater and doesn't swim around like he use to.

The water is at normal parameters, he is 100% healthy. The water is warm.
And everytime I do a full clean of the tank, I move around the decorations so that he gets new views each time.

The only time he moves around is feeding and when someone comes in the door and up to his tank.
I interact with him on a daily basis....

Do I just have a lazy betta? Any tips?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. What size is his tank?

2. What are the exact parameters for Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite?

3. What is the temperature in the tank?
He's in a 1.5 gallon tetra cube tank

Ammonia: 0

Nitrate: 0

Nitrite: 0

Tank temp: 78-80

Update: Hes swimming around now more after I turned off his tank light.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But he will still go on top of the heater and I guess "sleep".

I recently bought a new plant, a orange silk plant so hes enjoying that.

He's dancing around it.

I also get a couple of little Maribo Balls I will place in the tank tomorrow..

·
RusselltheShihTzu
21,462 Posts
Everything looks good.

You can stop the 100% water changes if you use a turkey baster or siphon to daily pick up waste and leftover food. Two or three 25% water changes per week are less stressful than 100% as you can leave your boy in his home. How many you do depends on Ammonia readings. If they hit 0.25ppm then do a 25% water change. This holds true whether a 1.5 is filtered or not. The big thing is to remove the waste and leftover food on a daily basis.

Betta like to "rest" on things. That's probably why he is on the heater.

Enjoy that beautiful Betta!

·
Registered
24 Posts
If he's sleeping ontop of the heater I'd guess the water isn't as warm as he'd like, or the water is not being heated evenly. Try turning it up and make sure the tank is on a level foundation.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If he's sleeping ontop of the heater I'd guess the water isn't as warm as he'd like, or the water is not being heated evenly. Try turning it up and make sure the tank is on a level foundation.
What is the highest temp for water for a betta fish? I usually have my tank at 80 degrees

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Everything looks good.

You can stop the 100% water changes if you use a turkey baster or siphon to daily pick up waste and leftover food. Two or three 25% water changes per week are less stressful than 100% as you can leave your boy in his home. How many you do depends on Ammonia readings. If they hit 0.25ppm then do a 25% water change. This holds true whether a 1.5 is filtered or not. The big thing is to remove the waste and leftover food on a daily basis.

Betta like to "rest" on things. That's probably why he is on the heater.

Enjoy that beautiful Betta!
I usually do a 100% water change every week on Sundays...is that improper? Or should I do it every 2 weeks?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts