Betta Fish Forum banner

201 - 220 of 388 Posts

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
**This is just me bragging**

OMG guys I did it! I did it! I finally did it! My first ever self-taken flaring photo! EEK!

In the end what worked best is removing the barricade between tanks and let my female into King's line of sight. The ones of him looking up is just King flaring at the riccia though :lol:

Any extra comments now that I have better photos?

·
Registered
131 Posts
His fins are still recovering from fin rot but here's my guy Rudy. He hates staying still and doesn't flare often... Sorry for the bad pic quality!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
@Witchipoo: oh come on that boy is from Betta138. He's PERFECT! Get him! :p edit: aaalright, he has a bit of a hump back and a very minor stair-stepping on the dorsal. But hey, nothing too serious. He's technically perfect!

@Kay333: nice head shape, smooth topline, knife shaped ventrals, weak and stair-stepped dorsal, anal a bit too long. Can't comment much due to pic quality. But that's all I can see :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
What tail type do you think he is? I've had someone suggest he's maybe a rose tail??

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
What tail type do you think he is? I've had someone suggest he's maybe a rose tail??

Unfortunately I can't give you an answer that doesn't start with the word "maybe". Maybe RT. Maybe HM. I can't tell. It seems like the current ruffled look on his caudal is not due to excessive branching, but simply due to recovery from fin damage. What about we just wait and see? :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Moved to "Learn How to Critique" sticky

I'm not looking to take my fish to shows or anything, just want to know what quality he is show-wise. He's beautiful no matter what, so feel free to bring on the criticism!

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Spoonhead, short body, stair-stepping dorsal, uneven edges on the anal, split vents, and he doesn't exactly fit into any color group. His scales also look funny to me but that may just be the photo. I can't say much about the caudal because I can't see it on the photo. But he does have a broad, forward dorsal, knife-shaped ventrals and an anal with just the perfect length. Typical double tail really.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Oh gee poor guy has diamond eye! :( do you have banana leaves to treat him with? I have some I can share if you want! D: just PM me and you can have it.

About your question: he has one of the longest vents I have ever seen. It's way past the longest point of the anal. The body shape looks good. Nice head and flat topline. Perfect 180, D-shaped caudal with smooth edgings and nice overlap on all the three fins. Dorsal could use some more width, but it's not bad either. I'm pretty sure the curve just behind his dorsal is a fault. But all in all, nice boy

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
I'm not looking to take my fish to shows or anything, just want to know what quality he is show-wise. He's beautiful no matter what, so feel free to bring on the criticism!
Spoonhead, short body, stair-stepping dorsal, uneven edges on the anal, split vents, and he doesn't exactly fit into any color group. His scales also look funny to me but that may just be the photo. I can't say much about the caudal because I can't see it on the photo. But he does have a broad, forward dorsal, knife-shaped ventrals and an anal with just the perfect length. Typical double tail really.
Actually, he isn't spoonheaded at all ^_^ And for colors, he's a Black Orchid Devil. There are many variations on Black Orchid, as long as it's black base (solid or nearly transparent sometimes!) with blue over top, it can classify as a black orchid. And with those touches of red, he can then be Black Orchid Devil--or just a Blue Multicolor if you prefer ;-)

But yes, stubby rays in the front of the dorsal which is typical for DT's.

Can't say too much about the fin balance since he's curved. Seems like he has really nice lengths overall; looks like all his fins meet at the same length which is important. But yes, those ventrals are atrocious haha--curled and split which is no good. They are the right length though which is good--supposed to be the same length as the end point on the anal fin ^_^

Overall, he's a very balanced fish other than the flaws in his fins--unevenness, splits, stair-stepping.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Thought Id plop my new petco purchase in here so I can learn something!

Im not usually a fan of DTs but this bundle of stress stripes in a little cup implored me to take him home. lol. i think he's quite lovely for a DT.

Since I'm not at all versed in good betta coloration and form, I can definitely learn something new here!

let me have a crack at this and you guys can correct me.

I believe his anal is quite long, and the red coloration on his ventrals are undesirable. but his caudal and dorsal are somewhat even.

what else?

Ninja feesh! haiya!

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Lol, you have the cutest Betta photos ao!

Yes, about all you pointed out. Ideally on all fin types, the fins should be flat and not ruffled as they are in Rose/Feather tails. So he's nearing the edge of having too many branches which is what causes the tail to ruffle and billow. If only his caudal was longer because it's actually too small for the size of the dorsal and the anal fin. So, if that grows out more then he's good! Still, the ruffling is technically undesirable as far as that goes :) Looks like his lobes are both pretty even, hard to tell with the dorsal flopping over the top one though. If he reaches 180 then he's also good!

He is actually slightly spoonheaded there. Body is relatively nice for a DT! It compliments his fins well! He's also a Marble Copper. Yes, the red should only appear as a wash all around versus some showing in the anal and not in the dorsal/caudal and all of it in the ventrals. It should spread out more or just not be there at all lol.

Ventrals aren't as long as the anal, that's a fault. Also, they should be full knife-like shape all the way to the tips, his webbing kind of just stops about 2/3 of the way down and doesn't go straight to the end which is a fault.

As most DT's, he has reduced webbing on all his fins which is also a fault--likely he has CT in his genes somewhere up the pool.

Overall, he's mostly balanced, if his caudal was bigger and webbing wasn't reduced, you'd have a winner on your hands! :-D

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Whew, it's amazing how much thought you dedicate to your responses Lil!

I just read half this thread, and learned so much more on this topic than I had in the past 4 years of betta keeping! This side of the hobby can be a little snobbish sometimes, so I rarely ventures into these parts, but it such a great friendly and educational environment here, it puts a smile on my face :D

A little question on the coloration, you said he was a copper, but he seems to be a steel blue to me? Here's a color accurate photo incase the lighting was throwing you off.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
You know me ao ^_^ always happy to help! I'm glad many are learning here!! This is what a forum is all about!

Ah yes, he does look Steel Blue there. The two are pretty closely related so it can be difficult to tell sometimes depending on the lighting of course--as you know :-D He still looks like he came from a CopperxBlue spawn though or at least Copper is down in his line; it's very dominant over Steel Blue. Royal Blue and Turquoise are also dominant over Steel Blue which is why they aren't as common as Turquoise which are the most dominant of them all.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
He's a bit spoon headed, but has a good strong jaw. Nice big dark eye, his top line is relatively flat, just a slight curve. Good wide strong peduncle. A bit short nose to peduncle which gives him a little bit of an unbalanced look, that comes with the DT though. That dorsal is to die for! The mast could be.a bit taller, but it's nice and smooth all the way up. Dorsal and caudal are very evenly curved in that gorgeous half circle shape. His anal is a good bit too long, messes up the smooth half circle. Ventrals are nicely shaped and, as far as I can tell with the angle, of a good even length with the anal fin. Most people ignore the pectoral, but a Betta can't maneuver well without them, his are celo, so hard to see, but from what I can see they're a bit smallish and more delta shaped than HM. His color is beautifully even in spite of the marbeling, but there is some red wash on the anal and the red ventrals are both undesirable. I think of it this way though, does it detract from his overall appearance? I don't think so, it sort of accents his coloring. A fish doesn't swim with his color! So color, to me, is the least and last thing I look at.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
^ don't wanna question anyone but I don't think I see a spoohead. Are you critique-ing ( what's the present continuos form of 'critique' lol) @ao's boy?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
^ don't wanna question anyone but I don't think I see a spoohead. Are you critique-ing ( what's the present continuos form of 'critique' lol) @ao's boy?
Yes, if you look at the first full side picture you can see where his head slopes sharply down in front of the eyes and ends at a slightly upturned mouth, giving his face a "pinched" look from the side.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Do think it's just the photo :)

To talk you out of it: I don't like her dorsal, and her fins seem to be too small for her body. Also, importing is expensive. What about using the money for groceries or work stuff?

... Bet that didn't help much LOL I just paid for Willow's domestic S&H fee. It's twice her own price plus import fee. I'm trying to laugh at myself but I feel more like tearing up lol of al hobbies on Earth...

201 - 220 of 388 Posts