Betta Fish Forum banner

381 - 388 of 388 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
He's Asymmetrical. Trad's typically have a small dorsal, is more rounded, and their caudal's also have rounded edges.

Yeah, his point is decent but just a little more dramatic slant towards the end would be better. He would do okay with his anal fin.
Caudal is very nice but the edges have a stubby ray which would have points taken off there.

His ventrals would be great if only the membrane extended further towards the white part. Basically his membrane just stopped and that's why they're stringy like that at the end, it's just a single ray. However, they would be perfect if the membrane just went on. He would have many points taken off for those.

I agree his topline is too flat and his body is too thick. A good HMPK should have a slender, streamlined body. Topline should arch gracefully and gradually, it should not go flat at any point or arch too dramatically. I don't think he's spoonheaded but his topline definitely isn't as good, I agree.

Scale wise he's kind of really bad. The thick scales should either fully cover the fish (minus a skunk stripe if not Full Mask) evenly with no openings or crooked scales. His partial genes caused the thick scales to only appear at the front half of him which is a big fault. If the blue continued throughout his whole body, his coloration wouldn't be as bad, but because it doesn't it's not as good.

And yep, you've got the Dorsal right; it is messy. It's a very good size, but it stair-steps too much and doesn't quite have the right shape for an Asym. HMPK.

Not a bad critique Tourmaline! ^_^

·
Registered
88 Posts
hello, this thread is great! I was wanting a critique on my Red Juvenile Crowntail (Note his crown-ends get really long but he nips them so I have to trim them)

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
@OrionPiscesLove please post this in the regular Pictures section if you want a straight up critique. This thread is for learning how to do it yourself which means you do your best to critique first and then we help out.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Oh! I forgot about this. I've been wanting to critique my giant HMPK.

Alydar first because I bought him first
20161127_192357.jpg 20161116_190321.jpg

Pros:
-Dorsal meets top of caudal
-Dorsal points forward flared
-No stubby rays
-Caudal reaches 180°
-Pointed anal fin
-Ventrals meet longest point in anal fin

Cons:
-Rounded caudal
-Split ventrals
-Flat topline
-Anal fin has a split
-Anal fin not slanted enough

And Mako, is he a traditional PK? I know Alydar is an asymmetrical PK.
20161117_181135.jpg 20161121_213443.jpg

Pros:
-Dorsal reaches top of caudal
-Caudal reaches 180 degrees
-Pointed anal fin
-Anal fin has a decent slant to it
-Ventrals meet anal fin
-Topline is decent, not too flat

Cons:
-Web reduction in dorsal
-Stubby first ray I think
-Caudal is too rounded

He's hard to catch in a full flare, since he either doesn't have a beard or can't/won't extend it, I can't tell when he's flaring all the way. For his color, his blue band is fairly even, but I'm sure that blue bleeding into his fins is bad. I'm not sure.

381 - 388 of 388 Posts