Betta Fish Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tank I am purchasing comes with no lid and I'm hoping to place my aquarium on a stable shelf with a moderate amount of light. the dimensions of my tank are 12 x 6 x 8 inches. Should I be concerned about not having a lid? Are there lids with LEDs that will fit a tank with my dimensions? Will a betta fish be able to thrive on a shelf with a dimmed amount of light? Thank you in advance for helping this noobie out!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello Madison, I am new to keeping fish as a pet and doing lots of research before I make a decision on what I am going to buy. I would recommend purchasing a clip-on light to have over the top of your tank and you shouldn't be too concerned about not having a lid as long as you are prepared to fill your tank with a bit less water. This is because you will not be able to fill the tank too full because any splash the fish may make at the top of the tank will spill water out of the tank. As to finding a lid and a light, Amazon, pet shops and different websites on the internet are your best bet. Below is a link to a cover you could look into but you will have to find one the right size and have to weight it down just to be on the safe side. I hope this helped.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004V0D3W2/ref=s9_acsd_top_hd_bw_bVuLup_c_x_1_w?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=N12YW7KFEMW4M7GF6VMP&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=f4f5f286-1d31-5946-8be0-044ead29c0fc&pf_rd_i=471497031

·
Super Moderator
19,924 Posts
It is difficult to find a cover for a 2.5 gallon; however, Marlneland/Perfecto does make one. I have it on my 2.5 but must remove it to feed Rooster as it is not hinged. Also, there will be a gap at the back where the cord for the heater enters the tank and where the filter goes.

The reason you want a cover is some Betta will jump. You can keep the water line lower but that doesn't always help. A clip-on LED is a good idea. What you get depends on your budget. I like the lights here if you have plants:

Welcome to AquaVibrant -.

Otherwise, any clip on or small table lamp will do. Betta are low-light, shade-loving fish so dimmer light will not hurt him at all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For such a case, I think it would be nice to start by purchasing a small light source in the aquarium in order for your fish to get used to the light. Then you can add LED lighting and other sources, when you can be sure that the fish is comfortable to swim in constant light

·
Super Moderator
2,925 Posts
Closed per Betta Fish rules.

"
12. Do not resurrect old threads.
Do not post to a thread that has not received a reply in a year or more unless you are the original poster and wish to update. If you are not the original poster you must create a new thread but you may hyperlink the archived thread to continue an old discussion. Resurrected old threads will be closed. Also, please use "bumps" sparingly and do not bump your own thread unless a significant amount of time has passed without any response. "

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.