Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to try some shrimp with one of my boys so I ordered some Red Cherry Shrimps from eBay. I know they cost more than Ghost Shrimp, but I don't know that I care for the Ghosts.

So, I dropped the little guys in the tank after acclimation and they're now running for their lives as my previously calm, never-even-flared boy chases them around the tank. Fortunately he's got a decent sized tail and isn't the fastest, most nimble guy on the planet so they have a decent chance.

I figured the little suckers would hide under the Java Moss or in one of the other plants and take time to adapt to their new home, but NOOOOOO, they're running around like they own the place and risking life and limb by doing so. I guess maybe they were hungry after being in a shipping bag for a few days.

Hopefully my little guy looses interest soon.

·
Registered
692 Posts
You could always play the Benny Hill Theme Music and watch them~ xD

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, in a horrific way it's kinda humorous. He'll stalk in and have them completely in his sights when suddenly they take off and he's left hitting the gravel where they had been sitting. Poor big dufus.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Poor Arthur is still at it, but thankfully the little shrimps continue to evade him.

Here's a pic of my boy giving a trio of RCS the eye. (Sorry for the poor picture quality, I need to borrow my BF's nice camera!)

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Haha! I wondered how the shrimp thing was working out for you. Now I know!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a trip to look over at Arthur and suddenly have a little shrimp go zipping across the tank.

I don't think these little guys were raised with a predator in their tank but they have survivor instincts and plenty of cover.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Little Percival might get some shrimp... eventually. I want to see how they do in Arthur's tank first, then maybe if they survive and actually start breeding I'll try a few in all of the tanks.

So far I've only seen a few in the tank today, so I'm not sure if Arthur has gotten a shrimpy snack or if they finally decided to do the smart thing and HIDE!! He's doesn't have a full tummy look, so I'm hoping they're just terrified and laying low.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, so the weekly tank cleanings are done & I sat down to see if I could see any little shrimps. Distinctly I saw at least 3 or 4 so I hope all 5 are still living!

Arthur is still giving it the ol' college try but I can't help but be slightly amused when he's stalking in on a tiny shrimp who's innocently eating & it suddenly takes off across the tank. He seems to stop & stare with a "that's not fair!" look on his pouty little face.

The goofball. I hope he gives up soon.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Pig chased the amano but seemed to just kind of tap them, not lunge at them like Dexter did at his poor hapless red cherries. Every time I added shrimp, they would be very active the first day or two and then completely disappear from view. At least I know where the amano are hiding now and I found a few of the cherries in my filter, even though I had covered the filter intake with foam. How did they get in there? One of them was still alive! I added more foam to completely block any access. No more shrimp for us.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts