Housing
What size is your tank? -10g
What temperature is your tank? - 82*
Does your tank have a filter? - foam filter
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? - filter aerates it
Is your tank heated? - yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? - none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? - mostly bloodworms (frozen, not freeze-dried), occasional Omega One pellet.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 times a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? - weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? ~33%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? - API stresscoat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: 0 - 20pp
pH: 6.0
Hardness: -
Alkalinity: -

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? - his eye has swollen to twice its size and become cloudy (caused by an injury)
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? - he is lethargic and rarely interested in food. He will eat a few bloodworms if i put them right in front of him, but mostly ignores pellets. He can't see on one side and gets startled more easily.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? - a couple weeks ago. i thought it was just because he couldn't see the pellets and kept missing when he snapped at them, then gave up. So i transitioned him to bloodworms, which were easier for him to get. But he hasn't gained any energy.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? - I thought he might have a fungal infection, and put some melafix in the water, but that hasn't helped.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? - yes, he's had ich and finrot
How old is your fish (approximately)? - ~2 years

·
Registered
Tao: Butterfly Halfmoon, Ivan: Kitty!, Firefly: TB Horse<3
2,685 Posts
It sounds like popeye to me. Pictures would help, but I trust your description.

I would start with 1 tsp/gal of Epsom salt in his tank. I would then "wash" him off in completely fresh water. I would then let him have a daily salt bath in a separate container. ES and AQ should never be mixed, so I would leave ES in his tank, and every day give him an hour long salt bath in a separate container [make sure he gets about 5 or so minutes in a freshwater container].

Then move him back into a changed freshwater container for 5 minutes, then move back into original tank with ES. I've never tried this before, but swelling can only be brought down by ES, and the cloudiness will be brought down by AQ.

You could also split up the treatment, like starting with ES for 10 days, then switch to AQ after a full water change a week later for another 10 days. It's important to keep the salts separate and at a limit, as they're freshwater and it will dehydrate them.

Overall, I would start with down ES for 10 days with API General Cure, then let his immune system rest for a week. Then for the next 10 days, if his eye swelling has gone down, do 10 days of AQ salt and API General Cure.

I hope he gets better.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had to go out of town for a few days last week and over the weekend, so I didn't want to start him on a salt treatment and then leave. My mom took care of him while I was gone, but when i got back this morning, she'd left food in his tank and the ammonia had spiked up to .5 pp, and he was even worse, laying on the bottom and gasping. i did a large (80%) water change and put some prime and API stresscoat in the water, and he already seems a little better, at least not laying on the bottom any more.

Should I go ahead and start the salt treatment now? or wait for him to recover from the ammonia spike? It seems to me like the stress of the salt might be too much too soon? But I don't know.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
also blood worms are not meant to be a main diet. They are treats. You should feed him the Omega One pellets every day (with one day of fasting) and blood worms once a week or so.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Even frozen bloodworms? I know freeze dried worms are unhealthy, but I thought they were okay if they were frozen. He can't see the pellets and misses when he snaps at them, so the bloodworms are much easier for him to eat.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Even frozen bloodworms?
Yep, even frozen bloodworms. A high quality pellet will provide a nutritionally balanced diet your fish needs to thrive. Frozen bloodworms are a great treat but shouldn't be used everyday. Bloodworms are a little too fatty for everyday feedings. You can mix it up with other frozen foods as well. Frozen mysis shrimp, dahpnia & brine shrimp are great.

I feed my little guy pellets right over his betta hammock. If he misses them when they are dropped in the water the hammock catches them. He has no trouble picking them up off of the hammock. It also saves me the trouble of getting out the turkey baster to suck up uneaten food.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh ok, thanks, i'll keep that in mind. I did try dropping the pellets over the hammock, but he mostly ignored them after the first few tries, or was unable to get them off of the hammock and gave up.

He's gotten better since the ammonia spike yesterday. I changed his water again today, and I'm thinking I might add the salt tomorrow to see if i can get the clouding in his eye to clear up.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He's barely moving or breathing now, and will only eat a couple of pellets. i've gotten all the ammonia out of the water, and didn't add salt. He only seems to be getting worse. should I add the salt now, or would that just hurt him?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There was an ant in his tank. I kept changing the water everyday, and it would show no ammonia when i tested it right after the change. But then when I tested it later, it had ammonia again, apparently because of the half-rotten ant under a leaf. So I just did a 90% water change, and i'm hoping that will be the end of the ammonia mystery.

He's pretty weak, gasping and struggling to swim, seems like he can't see much of anything any more, and both of his eyes are cloudy now. I'll finally have time to get some general cure at the store tomorrow, and I'll add that. Should i add the salt yet?? I'm afraid my fishy might be dying, help! :cry:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts