Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My young betta fish is really acting weird these days

For the past 3-4 weeks he has found a place on the bottom of his tank and seems to prefer staying there
At first I thought he was ill ...He actually may be ill
But if he is sick , he has the appetite of a pig . He loves to eat

Filter is fresh , heater is set at 78 degrees F, ammonia , nitrate, nitrite, PH levels, chlorine , chloride are at pristine levels . I had the water checked professionally well as on my own .

At times he swims and flares . But for the most , he just lays on the bottom of his ten gallon tank
I have fasted him for two days fed a pea to help with his digestion
It has not helped . In fact he did not seem to be happy when he wasn't eating
25% Water changes and vacuum every other day lately

I am very confused
Sometimes I think he's dying. Other times he appears fine
His tank mate is a gold mystery snail that appears healthy, colorful and extremely active . They both seem to be indifferent with each other
The betta's color is somewhat duller than usual . No rot or specks though

The only thing I have not tried is aquarium salt . Not sure if I should . If I do, suppose I must move the snail as to not harm it

Could the betta be bored and depressed?
I have heard of this happening , but it sounds ridiculous . Should I buy him new toys. His tank is currently heavily forested with soft silk like plants . A cave on the bottom rarely used . Well as some driftwood . Lots of empty space to swim
Another toy?

Is there anybody out there who can suggest a reason why he may be acting this way ?

I really like this little guy, but he is driving me crazy

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Do you know the temperature of the water? Sometimes heaters don't work as well and you end up with cooler temps or higher temps than what you've set the heater at.

He may just be sluggish because the water is too cold.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion
I just stuck my amphibian's thermometer in the water and it is indeed reading a little cooler
But at 77.3 degrees . I believe that is still warm enough for the little guy

Appreciate though

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I keep my Betta tanks at 80, 78 is supposed to be the lowest setting for a Betta. If you like you could raise the temperature just a little and see if that might improve his behaviour?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.