Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a first time fishr owner. I've had my first for over 1.5 years but this last month he's not been feeling well. His fins are looking ragged and he's just hangs at the bottom of the tank. His appetite is fine, but otherwise not normal. I bought stress coat and change it every day for the last three weeks (sometimes I accidently let it go a couple days) but this isn't helping, maybe a tiny bit of improvement. What do I need to do, buy, or anything to help him.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am a first time fishr owner. I've had my first for over 1.5 years but this last month he's not been feeling well. His fins are looking ragged and he's just hangs at the bottom of the tank. His appetite is fine, but otherwise not normal. I bought stress coat and change it every day for the last three weeks (sometimes I accidently let it go a couple days) but this isn't helping, maybe a tiny bit of improvement. What do I need to do, buy, or anything to help him.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,321 Posts
Moving to Diseases and Emergencies for you.

Please fill out this form so we can best help you. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 1
Does it have a filter? No
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? No thermostat
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Threebpellets once a day

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Full change once a week.
What percentage of water did you change? Usually over half if not full change
What is the source of your water? Conditioned tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? I take everything out when I change the water
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? Stress coat plus

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one. I don't have testers

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 4 was ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Another more rough around the edges
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Lethargic and laying on the ground compared to active and swimming
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? I first fasted for the days v the have some of a steamed pea, then I began changing the water fully every other day
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
How long have you owned your Betta? It's been with me a year and a half
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No.

·
Super Moderator
2,362 Posts
Hi, first off, it looks like he's biting his fins. Did something change in his tank, his environment or your routine recently?
You need to get an accurate measurement of his water temperature.
The water changes that you are performing now should be routine. Changing it once a week in a tank that small can allow buildup of harmful ammonia in the tank until the next change and eventually take a toll on him.

Keep up with the water changes, see if you can get some Indian Almond Leaves for him, or if not, some plain, unscented Rooibos tea (you can find in the grocery store, it shouldn't be all bought out). The leaves or the tea will stain the water brown, but he'll love it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, thank you very much. I'm going to be getting a five gallon tank soon. Thanks again for all of your suggestions I'll buy a test kit as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts