Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? no

Food:
What food brand do you use? Omega One Betta Buffet
Do you feed flakes or pellets? pellets
Freeze-dried? no
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 2-4 pellets twice a day

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? once or twice a month
What percentage of water did you change? about 50%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Use a hand pump to vacuum, occasionally remove and clean objects as well.
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? Water conditioner, API Stress Coat +, Bettafix, quick start,
aquarium salt

Water Parameters:

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? about 2 weeks ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? N/A
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Appears to have difficulty balancing when swimming and has taken to lying on the bottom of the tank, usually in the corner between the filter block and the wall.
Is your Betta still eating? Does not appear to be eating as he never comes to the top when being fed
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Cleaned the tank, did aquarium salt, I have various medicines but have not used them because no disease is apparent
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? 2-3 years has always been healthy

My photos aren't the greatest but they communicate the state he is in. I have researched similar post threads on this forum and am still unsure what the problem is. My theory was a plant or object injured a fin and he would heal up but it's been 2 weeks if not longer of this behavior. He still reacts to stimulus and will swim very fast across the tank before settling again. When e swims he appears to struggle to stay balanced.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Bettas, 5 Snails, 5 Shrimp, 1 Mouse, 2 Hissing roaches
716 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry your baby isn't doing well.

Does he appear to sink, or float by chance when he swims? Does it look like he's fighting a rough current even though there is none?

On another note, I would recommend upping water changes. Tanks should be changed once a week.
And check your water parameters if you have a kit? Something might be off and causing this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not have water testing supplies on had but we have had the fish for several ears and never had trouble with our water previously.

"Does he appear to sink, or float by chance when he swims? Does it look like he's fighting a rough current even though there is none?"

I would say yes. He has trouble balancing and appears to be struggling to maintain rightness when swimming although he still moves fast and strong when surprised.

·
Registered
716 Posts
It sounds like swim bladder.
Try an epsom salt bath or two and see if it helps?

If not it's probably his fin then. That should heal up in time, but watch for fin rot and all. You can put in an Indian Almond Leaf if you have any, it has antifungal and antibacterial properties, as well as calming effects. That might help!

Hope he feels better soon!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Changed tanks, fresh clean water, three days no food with Betafix and a almond leaf in the hospital tank. No improvement. Then did an Epsom salt dip. Still no improvement.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Apologies, I missed the notification that you had replied!

I'm sorry to hear he isn't doing better.

You can try daily epsom salt baths for a few days. Hopefully that might help.
That's alright, some won't. Do you have frozen Daphnia on hand? Many people use that as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts