139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Housing What size is your tank? 5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 78 F ~
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, carbon, not active past few days
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? Of course
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None. He is a loner

Food What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Every day, unless I am away as I have been recently. :(

Maintenance How often do you perform a water change? Monthly?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50 percent
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress coat as of recently. Past few months

Water Parameters: Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No, I have not tested.

Symptoms and Treatment

How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He looks stressed, mostly just on his face, lightly. Also it looks lile he has got something on the bottom of his face... by his gills. A tumor? I can't tell.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He just... lays at the bottom of the tank, hiding almost. I does not come when I call to him like usual.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Less than a week?
Have you started treating your fish? No
If so, how? N/a
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not really....
How old is your fish (approximately)? 3+ years

Please help! I have been very stressed lately, and I don't need any more!! I don't want jayne to die!

Does anyone know what is wrong???

P.s. over the past many months, he seemed to be eating his tail, or something like that, maybe getting it caight on something. His tail has not healed much. Maybe 1/8 of an inch.
He didn't seem to mind, though. He was always very happy and peppy.

Now, he hardly even comes out to eat. I need to promt him to come out.

Also, he had a light but I removed it when he began losing his tail. I have not put it back for fear he will start again....

I can give more info if needed.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
The monthly water changes.... I do a weekly water change of 25% for 5+ gallons. This keeps ammonia low.

Can you get a picture of the thing beneath his gills?

He is also 3 years old :) He is at a decent older age, which they do tend to become more finicky and susceptible. My Spartan, when his tail got munched on it barely grew back - might be an age thing. Sort of like when a child breaks a bone it heals faster than if an elderly man broke a bone.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
-.- Got rid of my whole message... Time to retype...

So, anyway...

Jayne didn't even get up to greet me as I tried to take a picture. He loves getting his picture taken...

-_-' So hard to get a picture up

http://jaynefinn.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=155551217

He was like that when I found him. Just... chillin' I guess.... Didn't swim up. Poor guy just looked at me. Before he was also kinda vertical. Sleeping against his little house thing...
~~~~~`
~o.o~
<|-|>
~|-| ~
~vv~~

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Is it poop? If so watch for it, and if it is stringy and broken up it could be internal parasites.

My one male has an egg spot because he is younger.

Or it could be an ich spot.

Another thought is columnaris or external parasites/bacteria/fungus

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm. Maybe it was just my eyes, I don't see anything now. :/
however.... his gills seem to be all red, with only a bit of black, and a bit of his face has turned red, to.

There is some shiny specks on his head, but I think that is his colouring, not velvet, etc.

He appears to be almost gasping? His, outh is constantly opening and closing slightly. Is this an infection of his gills?

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Ammonia burns, it sounds like. Can you get your water tested? strips won't work as well as liquid tests (or an in store test should do). Inflamed gills, blackened gills, and the discoloration in the face tend to be from ammonia burns.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have an ammonia monitor in there, and I changed the water just a few days ago.

However, I think you're right.
I love how accurate those monitors are!!! /sarcasm.
So, I will do a bit of a water change, I suppose.
Also, I will add the ammonia clearer( or whatever ) tablets I happen to have (Good thing?) and hopefully he'll perk up soon.

Thank you so much! =)

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
I have no idea about the monitors but surely it has to be changed or checked or something?

Not sure about the "ammonia lock" kinda stuff... I have it but it doesn't really work. I think what it does is just add more chemicals to neutralize the ammonia but doesn't really solve the problem.

For water changes, even if you are busy do a 25% gravel siphoning per week.. it really helps :)

·
Registered
655 Posts
How is he doing?

That kinda does look like Dropsy, i've never had luck with any medications when it came to Dropsy, so I don't know what to tell you there.

Fingers crossed try setting up a QT of at least 1 gallon and use Stress Coat. Let it sit for at the very least 20 minutes and maybe put something in there for him to sit on or hide in- a soft plant, decoration whatever. Make sure the water is at a good temperature and put him in to watch him better and see how he does. If he gets better then it's probably his home tank that's making him not feel well...

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Epom salt may relieve some of it, but dropsy is one of those 1/100 chance of survival, let alone afterwards :( I'm so sorry

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Okay. Should I lower the water level to make it easier for him to breathe? How much salt should I put in?
Maybe put him into his 3/4 gallon hospital tank?

Hmm. When he saw food he tried to swim up, but couldn't.

He is back in his little house now.
Jayne is 1 in a trillion, he's a strong boy. Maybe he'll make it.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Lower the water level, and it is 1 teaspoon per gallon UP TO 3 teaspoons per gallon. DISSOLVE before adding, in 1 gallon of water and add. But it needs to be cleaned every day. especially a 3/4 gallon.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Okay. I got a little heater today from the same place I got Jayney (Country Max), after seeing some of the other betta's there. They had such a pretty little crown tail!
Right. Anyway...!

I set up Jayne's 1 gal. tank (I had it for sea-monkeys, failed experiment, cleaned it out real well, etc. I am using the 1 gal. instead of that dinky 3/4 gal. bowl I wanted to keep him in when I got him.), with some epsom salt (1 teaspoon per gal. =) ) and some Mardel Maracyn Plus Antibacterial(Couldn't find just '1' or '2', this was all they had) stuff, dosage as per directions on the bottle.
He's still just laying there. He didn't want to eat at all.
He can swim when he wants to, I guess. Dart and rather spastic.

I wonder if the Melafix(And or bettafix) I used on him awhile ago did more harm then good.
If I had only known then what I know now!

Going to try and get some sleep tonight, and see how he is in the morning.

If it is kidney failure (the 'real dropsy' according to one site), then he has no hope.
I am hopeful that he will recover. He's always been a fighter! Heck, his name-sake (Jayne Cobb <3) was a fighter, survived getting shot up, etc, and Siamese Fighting Fish, so c'mon!

Just saw him try and dart up for air. Poor little guy!!!
It's all I can do not to break down sobbing... Again.

Wish him luck!
I will keep up dated at least daily...

By the way... Sena, the betta fish on your profile picture is so pretty!!! =) I love double tails!

Anyway,
Thank you so much for all your help(Jayne says thanks to. =) )!

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
bettafix tends to harm the labrynth organ. But hey - I bet you most of is on here (I did) tried it. It did more harm than good for two of my bettas, and what I know now I only needed to use specific things.

And if he does pass, we're here for you :) and don't ever give up owning bettas!!

And thank you, I passed him up, and she sent him as a freebie <3

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well.
Jayne ate a little today.
He looks a bit swollen, poor boy.
The left side of his gills also looks very swollen.
The poor boy is just floating there vertically, sometimes swimming up for a gulp of air or a random food flake.
He looks pitiful.

I want him to recover so much, even though it's not very likely, is it?
Seems cruel to keep him in misery... And yet, if there's the slightest chance he'll recover...

He looks like he's missing some scales on his face/top back. I dunno though. My poor pinecone. ;-;
He looks so dull and listless...
At least the water is warm...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts