Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I have a question: Lately my betta sleeps a lot more. Well, I don't know if he's sleeping, but he's just laying around the tank or near the heater, just like when he's sleeping. If I attract his attention he gets up and acts normally and energetically. Other than his sleeping he's acting normally, he eats, he's not bloated or constipated and his behavior hasn't changed. I keep him in a 3.5 gal plastic tank, heated to 26.5 celcius (79.7 F) and filtered by a sponge filter. A mineral deposit has developed in the tank over several months now, but as I understood after posting a thread here it's harmless right?

My betta's about two years now, maybe he's just getting older? I'm starting to get worried that I'm doing something wrong.. I'd really appreciate some advice! Thanks you and have a great day ;-)

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
It could be that he just getting old. Is there any other signs of illness? have you tested your water?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not yet, it's a holiday in here right now and i don't have a kit of my own.. Other than that hr's perfectly normal.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
it could just be that he's getting old. When you can, I suggest buying a kit and testing his water.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it possible that the plastic's wearing off, and it pollutea the water? Maybe what I think is the mineral deposit is actually little graines of plastic?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
His behaviour's getting a bit worse.. I see him laying a lot on the substrate, and when I get near the tank to get his attention he seems agitated. His pectoral fin's moving faster than usual, and he swims faster that usual and he flared at me. It does happen sometimes but it takes him a while. It is a new behaviour and I'll keep an eye to see if it stays or if it's nothing. Still, I'm getting really wrorried. This along with the lethargy when I'm not near him seems to me now much more like some disease than him getting older.

I would appreciate any advice or help right now. Seriously, I need you betta lovers out there!

I'm going now to the pet shop to test the tank water, buy him some new food, a new water dechlorinator (mine's about a year and a half now. Could that be it?) and aquarium salt, so I'll update soon.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
My boys coming up to about two now, and he sleeps a lot. If you are approaching the tank a lot more than normal in your concern, you could be stressing him out hence the flaring. Making a old man grumpy. lol

Have you got any pictures of him?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts