Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I picked out a lovely HM female today, and now I need to find her a suitable male. I found a few that I really like, but need help picking out who would make the best pair.

Here is the female, she's got some ripped fins from being in a sorority where I purchased her. Once she heals, I'll start conditioning her.

AND, here are the possible males; I tried to find a bunch of colors that would produce interesting offspring. Which do you think I should go with, and why? All credit goes to original photographers. I do not own either photos or fish below.

Male 1

Male 2

Male 3

Male 4

Male 5

Male6

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
I would go with 1, 3 or 4 for color- as you can keep the green going, possibly bring out a mustard or two. For form I would go with 1, 3 or 5- but it's hard to see since not all are flaring. You don't want an overly large anal/dorsal fin, yet you want to make sure the tail (if HM) is at the proper 180.

For your first few spawns you will do more learning how to breed, and keeping the fry alive then working on getting proper form/colors. You will have to learn to cull, etc to make sure you get the right numbers, and the right fry. Were these store bought or purchased from a breeder?

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
I would suggest fixing the finnage first. As for fins, the first, fifth, and, sixth one has the best fins on them. Though as for color I would suggest the first or fifth one.

Again I suggest working on fins first then work on the colors. You'd have nice interesting fry with first few males I suggested.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I would say go with the first his form is excellent. The 5th is nice but his fins are wonky. I say go with the first for form, his colors sort of go with your gals. Later on you can always start focusing on the color.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I also have two other girls to possibly use-- I'm about to go take some more photos. What do you guys think would match with this one?

I couldn't get a full flare, but.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Male number one has the best fin and form. His only fault is too small of a dorsal.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I would stil prefer to breed the blue female with male 1 as he has better and stronger finnagge and body shape IMOl the coloring of male one also contrasts her coloring and extrordanary results will be exhibited as a result of this spawn

·
Registered
722 Posts
I've never bred bettas, so I have no idea really which would work to get what but I tend to agree for color and the best guess I can make comparing the pictures to show standard pictures: male 1 with female 1. ( Rant: don't know if they are IBC show standards because I have no access to that site and they don't share info unless you give them money- and I still don't know what the fees are used for because the page I can access doesn't say!!!)

I can't really tell by the angle in the violet colored pic a few posts above this if his face is really long or not but it looks like he has a bit of a spoonhead thing going on, which could be fixed with the right female? (I have NO idea what female that would be though since I've never tried breeding, but i'm guessing a female with a really nice topline??)
His tail looks a bit long too and I read off of attisons site (I think) that bettas with longer tails might have problems supporting them when they are older?

Fun post btw, sorry for chiming in when I shouldn't have but I couldn't help it! ;)

Good luck with your spawn when you get the male though! (whichever one you pick)

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
I would say go with the first his form is excellent. The 5th is nice but his fins are wonky. I say go with the first for form, his colors sort of go with your gals. Later on you can always start focusing on the color.
I agree with this.

The first male would be the best bet with the first female. They would have a better "steady" color and the fins wouldn't be as crazy and bad as the rest of the males. It's had to get red wash out of bettas so again I'd just stick with the two I, MrVampire, and Kfryman has suggested.

That steel blue HM male doesnt look very nice mostly because of his dorsal, but the first male you posted has nice color and finnage with the dragon scaling and the caudal being a nice full 180 spread.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'd go for male one, he has the nicest fins and coloration relating to your female.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts