Betta Fish Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
241 - 254 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks so much! I found the kanaplex and furan-2 and will order those right away, but couldn't on the Methylene. Do I use both the kanaplex, furan and Aquarium salt all together every day? I will def lower the temp in the tank as it is around 80ish degrees right now and keep it dark.

I actually did post in the diseases forum, but that was before I saw your awesome post about fin rot/melting. I really didn't mean to double post, but there's no option to delete posts lol :)

Thank you for the help!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks lilnaugrim!! Keep dosing?

Thank you again for your advice on the Kanaplex and Furan. The medications have definitely helped my little guy with the temp turned way down. I don't think I got the dosing schedule spot on (as both meds had different schedules and I was pretty busy getting married :) ), but he is doing much better with noticeable fin growth.

My question: do I keep dosing? Or since he is doing better, stop and see what happens? Thanks again!!

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
Thank you again for your advice on the Kanaplex and Furan. The medications have definitely helped my little guy with the temp turned way down. I don't think I got the dosing schedule spot on (as both meds had different schedules and I was pretty busy getting married :) ), but he is doing much better with noticeable fin growth.

My question: do I keep dosing? Or since he is doing better, stop and see what happens? Thanks again!!
Well! Congratulations!

If the rot is gone and he's doing better, yes, finish out that round of medications and then stop. Do a full 100% change or use fresh carbon to remove the medication from the water and then dispose of the carbon after two or three days as it will be spent and no longer viable.

From there, just keep his water clean, feed him a high protein diet along with shrimps if possible (Mysis shrimp, ghost shrimp, bring shrimp, or daphnia all work. Frozen or live, freeze-dried doesn't work as well. The exoskeleton of the crustacean's contain biotin which help their fins grown like it does for our nails and hair) and keep him warm around 82 if possible to keep his metabolism going to help speed up growth. ^_^

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks! I'm doing regular water changes now anyway trying to get rid of the nasty brown stringy/slimey like algae that won't go away so I think I have all the medication out of there. I have freezedried bloodworms, will that work as well? I'll be sure to turn back up the temperature when I get home today :)

Thanks for all the advice. I admit I didn't think he was going to get better, but I think he's on the right track!!

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #246
Thanks! I'm doing regular water changes now anyway trying to get rid of the nasty brown stringy/slimey like algae that won't go away so I think I have all the medication out of there. I have freezedried bloodworms, will that work as well? I'll be sure to turn back up the temperature when I get home today :)

Thanks for all the advice. I admit I didn't think he was going to get better, but I think he's on the right track!!
Bloodworms are worms, not crustacean's. They don't have the hard shell. They are high in protein and fats though so you can absolutely still feed them, it just won't directly help the fin like ghost shrimp would do. Though, word of caution on the freeze-dried stuff, they can cause some bloating so try to feed those sparingly. Live or frozen is much easier to digest. If possible, let the freeze-dried stuff soak in some tank water first before feeding to rehydrate them a bit so they don't expand so much in their stomach unexpectedly :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
I actually have some mysis shrimp I use in my saltwater tank, think that would work as well? I don't think it's specified for reef aquariums only, but I could be wrong lol

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
I actually have some mysis shrimp I use in my saltwater tank, think that would work as well? I don't think it's specified for reef aquariums only, but I could be wrong lol
frozen ones? If so, yes you can use those.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #250

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks this is helpful!! Sometimes my boy chomps on his fins if I feed him too late; hes very picky and has a strict eating schedule. Its hard to tell on occasion if its fin rot or fin biting but the pictures in this have really helped. Thank you!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Could y'all help me identify if this is fin rot or tail biting? I tried comparing to the other photos on this thread but I don't feel positive either way.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hmm I’ll try to get some better photos. The scales/skin on top of his head are white because he used to have a full white mask that has been slowly turning blue. Also, I can’t see any swelling behind his eyes, although he is getting diamond eye/dragon eye.

Thanks for the reply though—I appreciate the input.

241 - 254 of 254 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.