Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, not sure if I'm posting this in the right spot, but the other tank forum said betta tank so here we go. I just upgraded my goldfish to a 55 gallon tank, and the glass lid I got for it is actually sized for a 29/37. Now when I've been shopping around for appropriately sized lids, it's been kind of impossible for me to figure out what exactly I need. The 55 gallon is an Aqueon if that helps, and it has a crossbar in the middle. Measuring the inside, it's 47.5" x 11.5" (spanning the whole tank) and 23.75" x 11.5" (side to crossbar). So, this might be a stupid question, but this is the largest tank I've ever had, what size lid or lids should I be looking for? Everytime I search for those measurements, I find 75/90 lids (which are too big) or 2 too small lids... I'm lost. Is there a difference between having 2 lids or just 1 large lid?

·
Super Moderator
19,923 Posts
Make sure you get an Aqueon hood. Another manufacturer will not work.

Many use two lids; that's what I did when I had my 55 and larger tanks.I always figured if there was damage to one side or the other I didn't have to replace the entire thing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Try this lid, it's made by Aqueon and should fit your tank Hinged Glass Top - Glass Aquarium Top | Aqueon Aquarium Products. Get the one that's 48" x 12"
I went looking and the stores near me are out of the 48" x 12" hoods, trying to find them online is rough except for when I go through the link you gave me

Make sure you get an Aqueon hood. Another manufacturer will not work.

Many use two lids; that's what I did when I had my 55 and larger tanks.I always figured if there was damage to one side or the other I didn't have to replace the entire thing.
When you were measuring for the 2 lids, did you measure to the middle of the bump in the crossbar, or to the edge of the bump in the crossbar? 23" x 12" isn't an option, would if 24" x 12" work?

One option is to go to a glazier and have the glass cut to size.
Thank you, I'll hold onto that as a final option if I can't find prefab!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts