Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i had a hermit crab in a nicely sized tank but recently I have gotten 3 others and moved him into a huge tank with the others. My betta had been placed in a fish bowl and I would like to put him in a bigger tank so as he can be happier. I am wondering first of all whether or not it is safe to put my betta in the tank formerly used by the hermit crab if it is thoroughly washed and sanitized/cleaned out and whether or not I can keep the light that rests of top of the tank. I love my betta to the world's end and dont want to take any risks with him so as he is not injured or becomes sick. :shock: Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
11 Posts
You can put him in the tank if it's thoroughly cleaned, I'm actually doing the same and my Betta is fine ^^. About the light, is it just a regular aquarium light or a heat lamp type of light?

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
+1. If it is a heat lamp, don't use it. Invest in a submersible heater instead, as the heat lamp will cause too much temperature fluctuation. :)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
First off what kind of tank is it? Plastic? I'm asking because of tanks cannot hold their weight with water, I would do a test first and fill it all the way up with water and check on it a day later, if you notice some cracks developing it's unsafe to house a fish in it. Although some plastic tanks can hold their weight with water, like Lee's Kritter Keepers.

Remember to not wash with soap, it'll leave a residue that's toxic to fish. You can wash the tank with hot water and vinegar. One part vinegar for every 9 parts of water. That'll get rid of anything nasty in there that's lurking. Also what kind of light? Like kikitchi asked, if it's a heat lamp I wouldn't recommend on using it as it may overheat the water, Bettas like tropical waters but really hot water will turn them into soup!

Hope that helps. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cant tell whether or not its a heat lamp.. its kinda old cuz its been in storage a while but i think it was used for turtles maybe or fish... :/ also, do u think its safe for my betta to be in it or not because of the hermit crabs?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
um, ok. I dont know if its plastic but its really sturdy and has been around for a long time.. I dont know what to do becuase there is some type of sealant that feels almost rubbery around the sides/edges of the inside of the tank.. should I leave it alone?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts