Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! So I have the setup from the Top Fin 10 gallon starter kit with the incandescent bulbs. I read that those types of bulbs can promote algae growth, so I bought 13 Watt CFLs that are 6500K warmth. Are these appropriate for this hood and tank?

I would eventually like to dabble in live plants, but at this point I only have a marimo moss ball. Is this lighting too strong?

Also, I'm concerned that the water will get on the bulbs and possibly harm my betta. Valid concern or overreacting?

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Hello everyone! So I have the setup from the Top Fin 10 gallon starter kit with the incandescent bulbs. I read that those types of bulbs can promote algae growth, so I bought 13 Watt CFLs that are 6500K warmth. Are these appropriate for this hood and tank?

I would eventually like to dabble in live plants, but at this point I only have a marimo moss ball. Is this lighting too strong?

Also, I'm concerned that the water will get on the bulbs and possibly harm my betta. Valid concern or overreacting?
For just marimo I'd say the light is pretty strong-marimo needs very little light to survive, but those bulbs are perfect for other low to medium light plants. I've kept marimo in an unlit tank for months that just gets a very tiny bit of spill over light from other tanks in the room. When you get more plants be mindful of how long you keep the light on-average light "om" time for planted tanks is typically 6-10 hours.
Some plants to consider:
low light:
anubias- man so many.. barterie, nana, coffefolia, golden, narrow leaf, petite, micro, list goes on and on
ferns-java, trident, willow, phillipine, needle leaf and narrow leaf
mosses-again [censor] ton out there.. some common ones are java, Christmas, Singapore, flame, fissendens (has a few species in this family), weeping
hornwort
anacharis

some medium light plants
hygrophila aka hygro: few speices pinifolia, angustifolia, corymbosa (aka 'giant hygo')
lot of ludwigia speices
rotala rotundifolia
pennywort
pygmy chain sword
dwarf sag
vals: several speices some can be in low light others in mid.. don't get jungle val too huge for a 10g stick with spiral or Italian vals
...too tried to add more but there are a LOT of plant options...

I may be recall wrong but don't the 10g kit come with a hood that the light is placed on top of a clear plastic strip to light the tank? If so I had one of those hood long ago-not an issue as long as there is the clear plastic between the lights and water.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I'll put my marimo in a shady spot to see if that helps, but wow what a difference in light! No more yellow tank! I got a programmable light, and currently I have it three hours on, two hours off, two hours on, two hours off, then two hours back on again and off for the rest of the night.

I do have another question though. I brought my betta, Rhaegar, home about a week ago. I know that glass surfing and flaring is common while he's adjusting, but I noticed that he definitely flares more when the lights are on. A little bit of flaring is good exercise, but I don't want him to be stressed out. Any tips or guidance on this?

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Thank you! I'll put my marimo in a shady spot to see if that helps, but wow what a difference in light! No more yellow tank! I got a programmable light, and currently I have it three hours on, two hours off, two hours on, two hours off, then two hours back on again and off for the rest of the night.

I do have another question though. I brought my betta, Rhaegar, home about a week ago. I know that glass surfing and flaring is common while he's adjusting, but I noticed that he definitely flares more when the lights are on. A little bit of flaring is good exercise, but I don't want him to be stressed out. Any tips or guidance on this?
Yeah he can see himself more clearly reflecting on the glass with the lights on. A lot of fake/live plants against the back and side glass helps deter this, you can also do a DIY with acrylic sheets and Krylon fusion spray paint (completely cured glass surfing for my elephant ear):
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=245289&page=31#post5440481

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
He will see his reflection better if the lights in his tank are brighter than the lights outside. So in addition to what AquaAurora has posted, you could also make it brighter outside for him and it would help.

I know, during the day if I close my curtains or if we have a big thunderstorm outside (read no sunlight coming in), my little guy goes nuts flaring at the glass.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gotcha! That makes a lot of sense too. I would make the rest of it brighter, but my apartment has almost zero lights. Maybe an additional lamp will help :)

I'm going to try black posterboard and black clings for now, maybe see if I can invest in acrylic sheets if these aren't a plausible option. The tough part is going to be managing an electric saw (read: I'm clumsy and my dad sawed off the tip of his thumb previously)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.