Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! So I have the setup from the Top Fin 10 gallon starter kit with the incandescent bulbs. I read that those types of bulbs can promote algae growth, so I bought 13 Watt CFLs that are 6500K warmth. Are these appropriate for this hood and tank?

I would eventually like to dabble in live plants, but at this point I only have a marimo moss ball. Is this lighting too strong?

Also, I'm concerned that the water will get on the bulbs and possibly harm my betta. Valid concern or overreacting?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I'll put my marimo in a shady spot to see if that helps, but wow what a difference in light! No more yellow tank! I got a programmable light, and currently I have it three hours on, two hours off, two hours on, two hours off, then two hours back on again and off for the rest of the night.

I do have another question though. I brought my betta, Rhaegar, home about a week ago. I know that glass surfing and flaring is common while he's adjusting, but I noticed that he definitely flares more when the lights are on. A little bit of flaring is good exercise, but I don't want him to be stressed out. Any tips or guidance on this?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gotcha! That makes a lot of sense too. I would make the rest of it brighter, but my apartment has almost zero lights. Maybe an additional lamp will help :)

I'm going to try black posterboard and black clings for now, maybe see if I can invest in acrylic sheets if these aren't a plausible option. The tough part is going to be managing an electric saw (read: I'm clumsy and my dad sawed off the tip of his thumb previously)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.