Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I have plans to be getting some supplies for a betta today, and before I left I had a quick question about lighting. I'm hoping to be getting a tank with a built-in lamp. My question is if the light should be turned off after certain times or does it make a difference for the fish? I would like to assume that bettas have a light-based cycle and sleep, so that was what was making me wonder.

I have the idea of getting some of those bulbs that I've read about so positively here as well, so after that happens I surely know that I will need a light cycle to keep the plants from exploding in growth :p.

I am very happy that I found this forum!

Best regards,
~BurnishedOchre

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
i keep my lights on for 6 hours and then off for two hours and then back on for 6 hours. the 2 hour break, breaks the cycle for algae growth. but the plants thrive and the fish are great. fish do need a sleep cycle.

if u cant do the turning off and on during the day maybe u can get a timer

·
Registered
719 Posts
Basically if I'm awake, they lights are on for my Bettas. So basically 12 hours on and 12 hours off.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I do 12 hours on and 12 hours off for the plants. If you don't have live plants, you can keep it on for around 7 hours or so.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
good luck with the search!

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I usually do 8 hrs on during the day.

Good luck finding your new betta friend!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts