Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Betta recently got a new tank, the other was just a temporary one that my goldfish are in (can't put him in with them, he bit their tails last time while I just cleaned his tank). He's been in the corner ever since I got the new tank. The current caused by the filter is relatively small, it moves his food around and if he's directly in front of it, he gets pushed a little too but only on the surface. The light is definitely a problem, a small 7 watt light bulb that over heats and causes his water to raise to almost 90°. He hides under the filter where there's very little light and no current. He'll come out when i lift the filter or for food but, that's it. The filter is an ammonia filter and the light will be changed soon. I've considered switching the goldfish and the Betta but I've been told the water changes would have to be far more frequent. Suggestions?
(Also, he tends to get stuck between the filter and the side, he's done it twice in one day, almost giving me a heart attack both times. No torn fins or injuries.)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
well... one goldfish needs 20-30 gallons of water so unless your betta tank is that large then don't switch them.

just a note - goldfish and bettas are not compatible tank mates. Goldfish are cold water fish and bettas are tropical fish...

Is your tank cycled? An ammonia filter really means nothing unless you have an established tank.

Have you tested your water?

When you moved him did you acclimate him?

If he was in the tank with the goldfish, did you QT him before you added him?

If the light is overheating your water then turn it off, bettas do not need extra lighting.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.