Betta Fish Forum banner

5241 - 5260 of 5422 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Happy Birthday! A little late sorry!

I sure hope that they find something to help Jen. This is certainly not news you want to celebrate your birthday with. So sorry that they broke the news then but you would want to know.

Beautiful new fish!

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,242
Well, it was a tough week. Emotions kind of went way out of whack due to hormones...yay. But all better now!

Had a day out with Jen on Saturday and we got our nails done! Full gel set so they'll last a while and weather through me doing dishes and taking care of tanks lol.

Yesterday we went out fish collecting for natives! It was so much fun! Victoria and I went along with two others plus our two wonderful guides. We collected at three different sites, though I wasn't able to make the first one. The second one was brackish water and we caught a bunch of Mummichogs (Fundulus heteroclitus) which are typically used for bait fish but they are gorgeous killies! So I took some home and now I have a saltwater tank....yeah lol. Third site was freshwater again and we caught some minnows and more killiefish (Fundulus diaphanus) which are freshwater unlike the Mummichogs. We also caught a yellow perch to look at and then throw back along with some shinners. At the beach there was TONS of ghost shrimp! We attempted to take many home but they pretty much all died in the bag, kind of gross lol. But I have three surviving ones in my new salt tank though lol, they came with the Mummis.

Here's our picture of Fundulus diaphanus
fundulus_diaphanus.jpg

And our yellow perch friend!
yellowperch.jpg

And not our photos but this is what the F. Heteroclitus looks like (Mummichog)
These are really nice ones

This is more of what mine look like at the moment lol

I also took home three 3 spine Sticklebacks but two died this morning.

And three darters which I can't remember the species name so I can't find pictures but they look similar to a goby. They will go into the 45 once they're out of quarantine :)

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Wow what an amazing opportunity to get to collect fish! Fish are really lovely. I hope the rest you have do well for you. I really like the F. Heteroclitus.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I love the Mummichogs! Is that a male and female? The anal fins look different to me.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,245
Those aren't my fish pics but yes, female in front and male in back. Only sexual dimorphism is the female is bigger and keeps the stripes where males do not. Females are also a little more yellow.

Got some live rock today!!

My stickleback and darters all died though but it's okay. It was fun to have them for a moment at least. There are plenty more out in the wild if i ever want to catch more again.

Not much to look at yet but this is my impromptu salt tank!
IMG_20160927_133049513_HDR.jpg

And a hitchhiker! Little bumblebee snail, hope he lives!
IMG_20160927_122456872_HDR.jpg

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,247
Sorry for the lack of updating everyone! The site has been ridiculous with it's picture limits and crap. Apparently my files are "too big", because yes, 3-6 MB for an average picture size is TOO BIG apparently >.> I'm mad, clearly. Whatever.

So, I'm currently unemployed but may have a job coming up at Dunkin' Donuts in town, whoopee. Not my ideal choice but I will gladly take work wherever I can! Even though my degree may not be the area of employment that I go down, I'm still grateful for my time in college. Yes, student loans are crippling but I learned valuable lessons in college about the world and about myself. I think I really found myself there and I'm glad that I went :) I wish I knew what I know now back when I started though, that college isn't necessary in today's society, a trade school would have been just as good. But, if I'd gone down that path instead, I likely would have never fish-sat for my friend in freshman year and became obsessed with fish, I would have never been here. :) I'm glad that I went down the path that I did, even if I never use my degree, that's okay with me.

So, after that, I am still very frustrated with the work force and trying to get a job. Many see my Bachelor's degree and say that they don't want me because I'm just going to leave them when I find my "career" >.> I sincerely hate this attitude about all the "low quality" jobs. If someone applied and they are more than qualified, just hire them; you never know where they might end up! They could leave or they could become manager or even higher if they find that they enjoy the atmosphere and whatnot. But, whatever.

My biggest issue these past weeks since I went to Florida--Oh yeah, forgot to tell you guys that I went to Florida finally! We went to Disney too! First time! It was amazing! I have lots of pictures to show if only the site will allow me! But anyway, on the flight over, my phone decided to die. This phone is well over two years old and I knew that lithium batteries only last about that much if a little less. So....I take it to Verizon Wireless spot in town when we got back...It was that Saturday which was a week and a half ago. AND DO I HAVE MY PHONE BACK YET?! NO!!!!!!!!! THey told me 3-5 business days, it's been 7 BUSINESS DAYS! Now, normally I can live without a phone just fine but I'm unemployed and giving out my number all day to potential employers!!! UGH! I need to know who is calling me so I can get a JOB!

So yeah. I'm frustrated.

So next thing that happened, I bought another boy from Martias and I adore him to bits! He is called Suiche (swee-che. The che is more of a 'h' sound huffed out. So it's more like swee-huh almost with a bit of hard c thrown in), it's Gaelic for Soot :-D I also bought another PetCo baby in thoughts of selling him here but I still can't make new threads >.> He's the more adorable baby I've seen, you all are going to love him!
I've decided to name my freebie boy from Martias, Rembrandt II since he does have the same colors as Remmy but is different. I was going to name him Ditto after my old boy but I decided that Remmy fits him better :-D

I also took advantage of PetCo's 50% off sale of reptiles >.< I now have a Toothless to go along with my Cloudjumper! More on him in my reptile journal shortly.

I have much more live rock in my salt tank now and it's almost cycled! Looking great. I have 9 Mummies left and a few Bumblebee snails. I apparently ended up with 6 in the end somehow, 2-3 are alive. Hard to tell sometimes lol. They're cheap enough that it's okay, plus I got them free off the live rock so I'm certainly not complaining.

I have moved all my Leo's in together in the 40B now in my room. Originally I had Hawk by himself in the 10 but he was miserable and so were the girls. I decided to try them together and now they're all out crawling around and interacting. I know it's said that Leo's aren't sociable but I truly believe that they are! Maybe not all are very nice about it *cough*Luna*cough* but they do definitely communicate on some level and enjoy each other's company.

Current tanks up are the 20 long with Kribs, 20 long salt, 3 gallon Suiche, 1 gallon Remmy II, and 45 gallon. 2.5 and .5's with temporary babies and older fish. Mr. Feesh, Big Red fins, and Special boy all died for some reason. Black copper fancy face and red PK are all still alive and very well. All the baby girls are doing well in the 2.5 as well as the baby VT I had and the newest baby. Everyone is now in my room instead of being between my brother and I's room (except 45 down stairs of course). Just the gargoyle's are still in my brothers room. I want to redo my room so everyone is in and I can just heat my room instead of both. It will be cheaper on the electricity.

I will attempt to upload some photographs next.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Sorry to hear about the job situation. I had a hard time too. Finally found something great, but it seriously took years. Hope you find something soon!

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,249
Thanks Tealight! I am applying for larger companies and such, mother believes that going to the company to present my resume is still a good thing to do. I realize that not all companies do this but most of the larger ones I know of, prefer you to just apply online and that's it; they don't want to deal with a billion people coming in with resumes but mother still believes it's the best thing to do. It might be good for some companies but just not the ones I'm applying for. She doesn't exactly make me feel bad about it but I do certainly feel that way sometimes. Like yesterday was a bad mental day :-/ I stayed home and watched Legend of Korra all day which wasn't bad but I certainly didn't feel good when mom came home and asked me why I wasn't out handing out my resume to everyone :-/ The only jobs I can get are silly retail jobs which, I'm not exactly complaining about, but all the jobs that I do want won't hire me because I'd just "train and then leave once I found a better job" which isn't exactly true. I really just want something where I can pay my bills but still do art commissions on the side or go to art shows and such, it isn't that much to ask for, is it? Ugh. Jobs suck lol. Actually, I honestly love working but people don't believe me when I say that. When I don't have anything to do, I just kind of get into a depressive funk and it sucks.

Still trying to upload photos and it's being a PITA >.> I can't upload every photo but I do want to give you all some nice pics at least!

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Hang in there with the jobs! Honestly, my first job I only got because we were friends with the owner. You might have to go the contact rout (whether it's someone your mom knows or you or a friend, etc).

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I heard Target will hire anyone with any type of degree for their management program. Think it pays pretty well.

I also did a lot of temping. It really sucked but it got my foot in the door a couple places.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,252
That's how I got my 3 year work-study program. I didn't even have work-study (sorry for the kids who did >.<) until later at the end but yeah. My mother is a custodian working for our state university, I will probably end up doing something similar. Even if you know someone in the Uni, you still start off on the lowest bit, doesn't matter what level they're in. My mom's at the highest for custodial but it doesn't mean diddly unfortunately. My father works for Electric Boat and he was supposed to talk to someone this week about getting my brother and I in since we've both been applying like crazy to that place but so far no go for either of us!

Thanks for the tip about Target, unfortunately the closest one to me is about 45 minutes away. Would have to depend on the pay grade for sure. I'm not below traveling for work but the other options are closer so I'm trying those first for sure. But I appreciate any and all tips! and support ^_^ I know I'm certainly not alone but damn, it sure does feel like it sometimes.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I heard a rumor Target starts you off at $60k but it's for four ten (sometimes longer) days.

I understand about feeling alone. Sometimes you just have to give yourself depression time. Unemployment is a lot.

Can't wait to see pics by the way!

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,254
Ugh, I don't think I can handle 10 hour days. My father did it for a while but it was so hard on him. I'm similar in mind-set to him, I'd much rather have regular 8 hour days but I don't mind working 7 days a week if need be, just not 10 hours all the time. I've worked 14 hours before and that was awful, did 3 days of it in prep for summer time at Wal-Mart since I was the only toy associate. But hey, 60K might be worth it in the end.

Uploading pics shortly! I ended up just going through and making the file sizes smaller of all the pics I want to upload. Added my new signature to them as well, I'll try to make them unobtrusive as possible but I know it's still annoying to see signatures in pics. But hopefully they'll upload quicker this way!

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Have you thought of applying at one of lps? I cant imagine they would snap you up with your knowledge and experience!

Cant wait to see pictures!

Here is a question for you. Did water changes on 6 tanks last night. Exact same water, all planted. A couple have wood, one ornament and other just plants. 2 of tanks super cloudy today and stink like rot smell. All tanks had deep cleans and did update my osmocote. Other 4 fine which did exact same cleans on. Has happened a couple of times and cant figure cause. Did another water change affected tanks. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,256
Okay! Just made it with 41 pictures lol! Cap is 50 for anyone wondering.
I still have some of my saltwater tank photos to edit as well so I'll upload those in a moment once I sign them as well.

So Florida!
We did an airboat ride and these were some of the better photos I took!
Just over the lake, it was super fun and really nice out!
IMG_6892_EDIT.jpg

Old Cypress tress and the path we went through.
IMG_6911_EDIT.jpg

Looking up at the Cypress tree
IMG_6926_EDIT.jpg

Looking behind the airboat.
IMG_6931_EDIT.jpg

The cutest anole that ended up getting relocated from the land that we ran over and onto our boat! The poor thing! She was just holding onto the rail as tight as she could until we picked her up. Fortunately for her, it was the end of the ride. Here she is as mom is holding her. She was bright green but started to turn brown with the warmth and attempting to blend in.
IMG_6944_EDIT.jpg

And on my hand. She didn't want to get off even when prompted. I would have taken her home in a heartbeat! But I know they're really cheap to buy as well.
IMG_6948_EDIT.jpg

Then we went to a restaurant called SquidLips! Awesome river-side restuarant! This one is out on the dock so I got some pretty neat seagull pictures! Granted seagulls aren't the most fascinating or rare creature, but I thought they were some pretty cool shots!
IMG_7011_EDIT.jpg
IMG_7016_EDIT.jpg
IMG_7096_EDIT.jpg

Out on the docks at sunset, some nice boats.
IMG_7107_EDIT.jpg

A very old dock that I decided to walk down. There are no rails or anything, just the dock and the posts. As you can see it's very wavy, it doesn't move but it certainly feels like it lol. Best to keep looking down at the dock while you walk unless you have very good equilibrium haha
IMG_7131_EDIT.jpg

We went to Animal Kingdom! On the Safari ride we saw many of the animals but this was my favorite!
IMG_7276_EDIT.jpg

I took some other great shots of the Rhino's, these are White Rhinos, but this one was my absolute favorite!
IMG_7291_EDIT.jpg

One of the birds building its nest.
IMG_7330_EDIT.jpg

The Gorilla's were beautiful. This one was lounging and eating and happily being watched. The other older one didn't seem very fond of people at all.
IMG_7357_EDIT.jpg

Mr. Feesh, he looked totally fine before he passed. Not really sure why he died but oh well.
IMG_7603.jpg
IMG_7608.jpg
IMG_7680.jpg

Mr. Fancy Copper
IMG_7670.jpg
IMG_7593.jpg

Baby VT boy. He's not such a baby any more but still smallish.
IMG_7585.jpg
IMG_7609.jpg

Mr. Red PK
IMG_7590.jpg
IMG_7598.jpg

Newest purchase! Isn't he the cutest thing ever?
IMG_7579.jpg
IMG_7595.jpg
IMG_7681.jpg
IMG_7689.jpg
IMG_7690.jpg

Remmy II. He's such a shiny fish!
IMG_7691.jpg
IMG_7639.jpg
IMG_7646.jpg
IMG_7656.jpg

I introduce to you Suiche! My new favorite fish besides Remmy lol. They're the only two I'm keeping though.
IMG_7630.jpg
IMG_7633.jpg
IMG_7694.jpg

Their habitats close to each other. I like to wake up to Suiche flaring in my face haha
IMG_7653.jpg

And the longfin blues!
IMG_7660.jpg
IMG_7661.jpg
IMG_7663.jpg
IMG_7664.jpg

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,257
@themamaj most of the stores around are one-man show kind of things. George only accepts volunteer help since he doesn't make enough money. SeaHorse are owned by two brothers who do everything. The only one I could really apply for would be Critter Hut, which I meant to do but haven't yet. They're still family run by two brothers so there certainly isn't any "growth" available there for me but obviously can help me get the cash I need soon for my student loan payments.

Did you swish out the filter media at all? I get that sometimes if I haven't cleaned that out in a while. Could be that you kicked up too much during the water change as well. Best thing to do, as you already did, just do another quick water change. It should settle overnight. You can use activated carbon to get rid of the smell though. Carbon doesn't really last long so it's more cost effective to buy a box of it and use some pantyhose or whatever to replace it frequently if you want the effects of it. On a dirty tank, most carbon only lasts a few days. On a clean tank they last 2 weeks to a month at best.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,258
Whoops forgot about the pics of the babies too!

IMG_7618.jpg

Loved this face lol
IMG_7621.jpg

Ms. Bumblebee marbled out but she still has some black flecks on her and some nice copper irid to her fins.
IMG_7626.jpg

Ms. Blue is adorable
IMG_7627.jpg
IMG_7628.jpg

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Gorgeous pictures!! Love that surprised face ;)

Both of tanks actually had rinsed filter and changed sponge media. Maybe stirred up too much.

5241 - 5260 of 5422 Posts