Betta Fish Forum banner

5381 - 5400 of 5422 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,381
Great pictures! Oh those leatherbacks are calling me. Would love to have a citrus hypo trans leatherback female. Now doesn't that scream expensive?! On gargoyles, I had to resort to my breeder lol. I think it is similar to leos but not sure that it is as pronounced. I hope that as mine reach a year or so it will be more obvious. I know Skylyn is a girl so I guess I will use her as a guide for Snickers. The crested geckos I have seen are fairly easy to tell. Maybe size is the key.

Sorry about your finger. Sounds incredibly painful. As easy as it is to slip on regular stairs, I am sure glad we don't have wood ones.
Thanks!!
Ugh, that boy (pretty sure male) bearded was sooo tempting! And yes! That does sound a bit expensive lol.

Well, CJ is a full grown adult so it shouldn't be do hard. She's just very wiggly and flighty so I don't want to hurt her. But I'll try to get some pics of her!

And nag, the thumb is fine. It literally just looks like I clipped it down. It didn't bend back or anything so it didn't hurt bad, it was just what hurt the most relatively when it happened. I've got some nice bruises on my left leg though lol

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,382
Wiki found out how to escape his cage. I think I mentioned that already but he was doing it in front of me yesterday >.> He pushes against the wire and jiggles it until the first part comes undone and then he bites at the top part until that unhooks. I had it closed last night and used the clicky hook thing made for climbing--at least the bigger ones, I know they have a name but I can't remember. But I had a small one and used that, he wasn't able to escape that at least. I tried to teach him that if he stays in his cage and doesn't do that, he gets a treat. He...sort of did it. It's going to take quite a few sessions before he realizes I think. But I'm mostly patient. lol

Fishies are good. Nothing really new there except that I totally forgot I had some corydoras habrosus in with my B. siamentorialis until I saw them swimming around last night lol! I've had them for like...a month now, totally forgot.

Reptiles are good, stormfly gobbled down a bunch of mealworms happily as she does every night. Loves her salads too.

Mom brought me home some lizard eggs from FL! I think that's technically illegal but whatever! I found out that they're regular House Gecko eggs because they're hard and not leathery. But I do know that if rotated, it can kill the eggs so I'm pretty sure they're dead now :-/ I candled them last night and three out of six have veining in them which is good but I have no idea how long they were incubated for earlier. So, I'll keep them for a few weeks and see what happens. If nothing does, then I'll toss them. But it's neat all the same. Mom had good intentions.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,383
Not much to update on with lizard eggs. Trying not to touch them even though I doubt they'll hatch, but on the off-chance they do....

I'm founding out that my Leo's are no longer happy in their tank. I really wanted to upgrade them but I think I'm actually going to downgrade and split them into appropriate pairs to see if they do better. Four 20 longs is the idea.
  • Hawkeye and Astrael (they're the worst of the weight-loss even though they eat)
  • Luna and Cullen (fattest two, most alpha of the six)
  • Dorian and Gallifrey (both diminuative. Gallifrey is still new so unsure of nature just yet)
  • Nox and Lux the African fat-tails that need an upgrade.

I feel awful, I didn't realize just how skinny Hawk was getting :-( I picked him up and I could see his ribs! I feel so so bad. I'm trying not to overload him with food but definitely doing Emeraid at least once a day. He didn't want to take it yesterday but I tried to force a little bit at least. The others took it fairly well.

Nox and Lux have grown a little which is good. But they do need more space to stretch out. They're in a 5.5 currently. Would love to get them on a bio-active tank.

Note for others with reptiles or thinking of getting them: feed in a separate container for live bugs. I made that mistake of not doing it when my reps were small and now they aren't used to it and don't want to eat out of their home. Not so bad for Leo's but not good for Nox and Lux. They're still small so I'm sure I can teach them. But the problem is that, they're on soil as they should be since they're a partial burrowing species, but this also means that if they miss the crickets--and they do--they get a mouth full of soil and don't know not to ingest it. So, poor Lux took in a woodchip before I could get it out of him, at least, I'm pretty sure he swallowed it. I've been doing hot baths for them as often as I can. He doesn't seem to be in bad shape due to it, I would have seen it by now if he was having issues I think. Still keeping a close eye. So yeah, no more bugs in the viv. I knew this info before but never put it into practice because I didn't need to with my Leo's as they're on rug. But Leo's don't burrow in captivity as much as African's do, or so I've been told. They'll burrow in the wild but I believe they take over other dens of other reptiles/animals and have the colony there instead of digging their own.

BUT, the crux of the situation currently is, I have no money to purchase a rack for the tanks to go on. I have the other 20 longs, they just need to be cleaned out of sand that I've thrown into them. But, I have no horizontal space for them, nor do I have other heat pads. I could use slate piece and light to heat it, but during the night it can get chilly so I don't want them to have digestive issues if the slate goes cold. I could use a ceramic heat emitter but they're expensive and cost a lot to run. I'm trying NOT to run my mom more money :-( This means, I definitely have to take down my fish tanks if I'm going to keep my reptiles successfully. At least, most of my tanks. I'll keep a few 5.5 I think, but the big ones need to come down for sure.

I just hate that I have so much to do that I become overwhelmed by it and then do nothing >.< It SUCKS. And it's not due to having too many reptiles, which I kind of do, but I love them all to bits. Other things in life have popped up and I knew I should have prepped myself for this instead of getting more reptiles but I don't and I didn't. Sigh....this is difficult. I can give up fish without too much problem but giving up my reptiles is a no-go. Even Wiki, I'm allergic to his hay pretty bad but I wouldn't give him up because of that. It's my own fault for adoption a rabbit. I can absolutely care for him, that isn't the issue, I just get insanely itchy after using hay. I wash myself but it doesn't always help, sometimes just the smell of it is enough. I'm hoping that, like my other allergies, the more I'm around it, the better I'll tolerate it since it doesn't cause direct anaphylactic shock like eating shellfish would. It causes hayfever, itchy and sore eyes, hives, rashes, that kind of stuff. So it's not good obviously but I can handle it. I'm pretty much over being allergic to dog saliva now that I've been around my best friend's dogs more often. I still have a reaction if you keep a dirty house/apartment and a dirty dog, but to a clean dog, I have little to no reaction which is awesome! So, I'm hoping the same thing happens with the hay. Especially since I plan to get Wiki a friend down the line when I can afford it. Hopefully a rescue so she comes spayed already.

I did buy myself a beautiful orange-ish koi girl. She's more Super Orange really, but close enough that I was willing to take her home. I've been looking at orange Betta's for a while. I love orange dragons but it has to be a true orange, not a pale orange or a super orange that is actually red. Most sellers say orange but it's really red which I dislike heavily. So, the choice was to buy online and ship over, or buy this girl and be okay with more super-orange. So I said fine, I'll take this girl. She was cute too. She had a sister there who was a little more on the orange side but she was smaller and not as healthy looking. I didn't feel like dealing with a sick fish so I took the bigger one :) No name as of yet. But I'm going to smuggle her into work and see if I can't keep her here. I might get in trouble though lol, we'll see. The most that will happen is they just tell me to bring her home is all.

Stormfly has been eating very well and grown a bit too! She's pooping regularly and enjoying her veggies which makes me happy! Introduced yellow squash to her yesterday, I think it confused her lol but she ate it I think. Trying to work with her again on being picked up. She doesn't like my hand in the tank but once she's out, she's okay. She's kind of afraid of my face, though, who wouldn't be with a giant staring at you and their mouth so close to you when you're on their shoulder? lol So, just trying to get her used to that.

Looks like I'll be taking on Victoria's Bearded Dragon as well; Rhaegal. She's a good girl but she doesn't like me much last I was over. Hopefully that changes and the two of them can get along. Victoria is going to give me everything including her tank and such which is good. I'll have the 55 for Stormfly and the 40B for Rhaegal. Rae is full grown though, and it won't be for at least till the spring time which gives Stormfly some time to catch up in growth. I definitely need to get her into the 55 though, I think the 20 long is too small for her at this point and is stunting her. Not sure if that can really happen, I've read it a few places but not sure if I totally believe it. I still have the sunfish in the 55 though, so not sure what I'll do with that. Maybe throw it in a 5.5 or 2.5 for the moment until I figure out what to do with it.

Victoria, my best friend, is getting married! Originally it was only supposed to be a courthouse wedding with a bigger party later in the year but the original wedding is turning into a real wedding >.< Which is really nice since the groom-to-be's mother is taking care of the venue and such, she's still trying to keep it small but we have like 40 people attending so it's nice for all of them to be able to hang for a while and have a mini reception. I'm a bridesmaid which is exciting! She's not really doing a Maid of Honor since there is only two of us and she doesn't want to pick, so we're sharing the responsibilities. Not that there really is many since it's not going to be a traditional wedding and such, but we'll plan the bar crawl for the bachelorette party since that is what she wants haha. Works for us! Simple and easy, it's still stressful and I feel bad that it's turned into this when she didn't really want it in the first place. She's one of those types that can't say no even if she doesn't really want it, or at least has a hard time saying no. So I'm trying to remind her that she can absolutely say no, it's her wedding after all! But everyone is being really good about it and trying to keep it minimal ^_^ I'm so excited!

So lots happening in the world.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your leos, Hawkeye and Astrael, Lil. I hope you can get them back on track!

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,385
I'm sorry to hear about your leos, Hawkeye and Astrael, Lil. I hope you can get them back on track!
Thanks, I hope so too!

Funny though, when I read your reply, I read it as "...about your loss..." and I went...oh god, which one did I lose?? lol, then I read it properly! haha.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Have you tried any wax worms with Hawkeye and Astrael? That might help bulk up their weight. It sounds like you have some good plans for the leos. I am sitting here trying to figure out space issues as well.

I agree on feeding containers for live bugs. It makes life much easier, plus you can monitor better how much they are eating. Another reptile tip I will pass on for any want to be owners is get a front opening cage if you have that option. It drives me bonkers moving lights off and on the lid everyday.

Sorry things are overwhelming at moment. I sure go through those times as well. Daily life stuff gets so busy. When you are trying to balance work, family, housework and doing all the things animals need it seems there are not enough hours in the day! I was having one of those moments the other day thinking of everything I needed to do and wanted to accomplish. I get pretty mad at myself if I don't get as much done as I think I need to that day. My daughter made a good suggestion to me of trying to write out some goals for the week on my calendar. Maybe designate these days to cleaning, these days for work, and plan some down time. Of course, each day has certain responsibilities you have to do but it helps me to try to look at a small number of tasks to do that day instead of the whole big picture. I think that is a struggle with women that we try to do everything for everyone all the time.

Excited to see your new orange girl.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,387
Tried to upload a few pics at work. It was working but now isn't. Oh well.

Pics of my new koi girl! So she's orange, just a little deeper than I wished. But she is cute, already comes up to beg for food.

And bonus pic of Stormfly! She likes her rocks ^_^

And Ieli, my good girl. She's 13 this year.
She only weighs about 10 pounds but het paws are huge as a Maine Coon should be ^_^ it fits in the palm of my hand and I do not have a small hand.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,388 (Edited)
Stormfly is going to HATE me tomorrow heh.

This is her costume that I just made. It's a bit big but I think it will help keep her calm while we're out at least! Just felt and hot glue! It's Stormfly's namesake, Stormfly from How To Train Your Dragon. I attached the pic of her at the end.

And look who's also gained a few grams! She was 24g last time I weighed her beginning of September!

Nox and Lux are still about the same but they haven't dripped which is good. They're stronger eaters now too.

Poor Hawk looks awful. I don't even want to show them but, I feel like I need to have the complete set here. He's not so skinny yet that he's going tok perish but he did lose a lot of weight. Made him eat by himself and polished off all the superworms I gave him! So his appetite is still there which is great! Also, that shadow makes him look awful, he doesn't look as bad as that photo makes him look. He still has some meat on him.

Astrael has always been small, but she is too skinny. She doesn't have the greatest appetite and is a very picky eater. Doesn't like waxworms or hornworms >.>

Dorian a bit small too.

Luna is friggin massive now....54g?? Ij had to double check that One! I'm prettyg sure that qualifies for a Giant Leo female Lol!

Even Cullen at 51g! That's so big for a regular female Leo but they're healthy. At the edge of being overweight I think but they're also just coming off summer where they ate a lot.

And then Gallifrey my newest and good girl. She looks a lot like Hawk but with softer eyes almost. It's because of her hypo coloring that she just looks velvety soft. She actually stepped up on my hand without me having to scoop her! So proud! But she's younger and clocking in just about right for her age so I'm not overly worried about her.

I didn't get CJ in since she was sleeping but I'll get her tomorrow. I grabbed two plants to set up her vivarium again!! I still have some of the old ones growing on my windowsill so I'll put those back in. Hopefully I can get yo it tomorrow or soon. I have a lot to do in the next week!

And boobus pic of Stormfly questioning why there is a phone in her face while she's trying to eat lol

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,389
CJ!

So damn, she's 41g now! Little fatty lol.
Posted the second pic because she's clearly jujmping into hyperspace Lol!

Oh, upside down pics. Sorry guys. Can't fix it >.<t

Took pics of her underside and still can't tell if she's male or female >.<

I'll take pics of the viv tonight since there's too much glare from the sun at the moment.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,390 (Edited)

She didn't want to go back in lol and then doesn't quite let go when she jumps. @themamaj Snickers isn't the only one failing at jumps lol

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,391
Not much happening.
I did get waxworms, thank you for reminding me they existed! I usually try to stay away from them because of their addictive nature but they are definitely necessary at the moment.

So far, everyone is still getting along for the most part. They all happily took the waxworms, even Astrael who didn't like them last time! She gobbled them down!

Nothing new in fish.

CJ doesn't seem to like all her space now. She's back up top at the ledge where she used to sit when she was a bab too. There is plenty of hiding space in there though, not as densely packed as the 10 was. She's a strange one. Haven't seen her eat yet either. Hope that starts up soon and she settles into her new (old) home. Plants seem to be doing alright as well but we'll see in a months' time lol

I did a derp and took home that red bearded dragon, not the leather back. I'd taken Stormfly out for the costume contest and showed them to each other since it was the same store. He poofed up and started showing off to her. She was actually submissive which surprised me since she's a fairly dominant beardie. She didn't really respond to him at all though. I went to the other PetCo to grab worms since I forgot at this one. Was too annoyed with the fact that we won a button....yeah, a button...like a pin.....so he felt bad and no one showed up for the cat costume contest last week (surprise surprise) and so he gave me the cat basket to bring home lol. It had discounted items in it and half of it was for dogs....like...wtf? PetCo seriously favors their dogs, the dog contest had won a $15 giftcard....ANYWAY, went to the other store and took home the other beardie for the night. He almost immediately kicked Stormfly off her spot. I knew it wasn't right and knew it wouldn't end well if I took him home. But, it took me taking him home physically to realize why just one beardie is good. I returned him the next day. I felt silly because I did all of this but I think it was good as well. Stormfly is happy now up on her rocks again and basking all day long :) I just can't wait for her to grow bigger! She's getting there though!

Gecko weight differences between September 2nd and October 19th:
Stormfly: +15g

Cloudjumper: +5g

Nox: =
Lux: -2g

Hawkeye: -14g
Luna: +13g
Astrael: +2g
Cullen: +9g
Dorian: -2g
(Gallifrey: 30g)

So, the loss weights aren't too terrible except Hawkeye :-( He's getting the most love the next few weeks. Gah, this is awful :-( I hope he's not sick with a parasite either. Gallifrey would have been the one to bring it in if that happened but I'd likely be seeing it in more leo's and not just him, also, she wouldn't be as healthy as she is either. So...I don't *think* it is a parasite, though I know that it could be.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
D'awww. Did you get any pictures of the Beardie by chance? ;)

I would love to get into reptiles some day but my parents are mad enough about the Koi boys, lol. Leos would be fist pick with Beardies coming up second. Ball Python if I can work up the courage to feed frozen mice, but probably not. Would love a Chameleon but heard they don't like to be handled.

How many reptiles total do you have? Which are your favorites, and least? Is there a specific reptile you would love to have? Is there one you would never, ever, get?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,393
D'awww. Did you get any pictures of the Beardie by chance? ;)

How many reptiles total do you have? Which are your favorites, and least? Is there a specific reptile you would love to have? Is there one you would never, ever, get?
I do but will have to attach it at home. Just have the one from the store.

10 currently.
I have favorites for different reasons.
Stormfly is easiest to handle long-term but the Leo's are the easiest to feed and care for tank wise. They're litter trained whereas Stormfly isn't really and just poops wherever she wants lol.
The African Fat-tails are the most calm though and don't mind being held forever if you wanted to. They sleep most of the day though so I don't like to disturb them too much during the day. I try to feed towards the night so all my reptiles are awake or near to being so.

I don't think I have a least favorite species that I have right now. I mean, Luna is the most dominant in my Leo's and I didn't really want her or Astrael to start with. Victoria gave them to me and I thought it was just going to be for a little bit, not forever :-/ had I wanted them, I would have bought them myself. She's kind of the root of all my problems but I can't get rid of her because Victoria would be upset. I mean, I don't mind keeping her but I wish she was a nicer gecko to hold and be with the others.

But least favorite species overall? I guess snakes. I respect them and adore them but they just don't appeal to me as much as geckos and lizards do. I'm not afraid of them but they just don't feel the same to me. Guess it kind of goes along with your last question there, I'd never own one unless my significant other would want one.

One I'd love to have is a Chinese Cave Gecko, it's like the Leopard but opposite colors almost and nocturnal instead of crepuscular, it's so cool! That and the Neon Blue Day Gecko or a Giant Day Gecko! Day gecko's are gorgeous! One aboreal gecko is enough for me at the moment though lol.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Cloud Jumper is so big! I love how they hang on with their tails. I call Snickers my little monkey. CJ has great colors. Encouraging to think mine will actually grow to that size one day. Seems like each gram takes forever right now. I think gargoyles have most interesting eyes. I just love them! Love seeing all pictures and costume is amazing! Dragon is so cute. Dont you love it when you get the stink eye?!

I looked at picture of tummy. Really hard to tell but might guess male. I just got home last night. Will try to get some pictures of mine for comparison. I wanted your opinion on Tango too.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,395
Pic of the red dragon is first. He was so easy to hold and just chilled. Can't wait for Stormfly to get that big and chill out a little.

Stormfly's colors when we were out, she fires up so bright! And then when I put the fleece over her, it closes up their third eye and puts them to sleep. Useful for traveling! "But mooom, you said it was sleep time!"

Some of the pretty boys and girls at my petco.

CJs vivarium

Stormfly sleeping on her bridge

I bought Wiki a bed today. I think he likes it lol.
He also figured out how to climb up into his cage >.< need to put some thick cardboard and fleece up there so he can chill and not hurt himself on the wire.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,396
Cloud Jumper is so big! I love how they hang on with their tails. I call Snickers my little monkey. CJ has great colors. Encouraging to think mine will actually grow to that size one day. Seems like each gram takes forever right now. I think gargoyles have most interesting eyes. I just love them! Love seeing all pictures and costume is amazing! Dragon is so cute. Dont you love it when you get the stink eye?!

I looked at picture of tummy. Really hard to tell but might guess male. I just got home last night. Will try to get some pictures of mine for comparison. I wanted your opinion on Tango too.
That's how I feel with Stormfly. Just stare at her and grumble "grow! Grow! Come on, know you can do it!" Lol.

Yeah, Leo's are easy for me so shouldn't be too much issue. I find it's much obvious to see their hempienial bulges over rhacs >.<

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,397
Well, this has been an interesting week/weekend.

Attended a convention over the weekend, kind of like a comic con but smaller. Same idea though, people dressing up in suits and cosplays, it was fun!

Power went out yesterday when my Uncle's poor Tulip tree fell on our wires :-/ going to be a few more days until we get power back up likely. Since we're a private road, we're last on the list but it also fell on the wires which means national grid does need to help get it off the wires. So, all the reptiles have the big 72 hour heat packs to warm on while the power is out :-/

Got Wiki to the vet last night! $100 later >.> but, my vet is an expert in all small animals, reptiles, and birds. She knows what she's doing and she wants you to learn as well so you can understand why things are happening or not happening! So it's worth it.
He was given a mostly clean bill of health! Like I expected, he did have some gunk in his ears that she was able to mostly clean out. If he gets worse then she said to call immediately but otherwise, he should be okay now. She's going to give up a full ear cleaning when he goes under for his neuter which will be end of December. She's also going to file his teeth as well.
His teeth may become a problem down the road. Currently he's starting to "wave" which means the middle of his teeth are ground down but not the edges, those edges may become so sharp that they puncture his cheek or tongue and cause abscesses. They get that by eating too many pellets where they chew up and down, on hay they chew side to side like a cow or horse. This helps grind down the teeth so they don't get too sharp or long. So more hay for Wiki and less pellets!

He weighs just over 9 pounds, she says that she doesn't see a lot of English Lops come through so it was interesting for her to check him over. He did try to bite the Vet Tech though >.> But they gave him a craisin after and he was happy.

His neuter is going to be $400.........OUCH. But....again, she knows what she's doing, he's going to be in great hands. She's also going to clean his ears and file teeth as well and give him an overall groom so it's not just the clip and snip, there is more to it. So, I just have to save up for that as well. End of December, I have almost two months till then so it should be just fine.

Everyone is doing alright, Leo's look like they're gaining a bit more weight. Haven't been around too often unfortunately due to being away on the weekend but we'll be back at it tonight! Stormfly was afraid of my face yesterday when I took her out >.> she wouldn't stop hissing or keeping her mouth open. She was not a happy dragon. But she settled under my shirt because I'm warm and her light was off. I didn't realize our power was going to go out so I didn't prep for that earlier that morning. But they're happier now with their heat packs.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I'm rarely on here so I haven't been keeping up with journals like I used to.. I didn't realize you joined the beardie family! I have two boys, a two month old citrus tiger leatherback (possibly hypo?) named Cider and a 6 month old hypo citrus tiger named Apache. Both from PetSmart, separate tanks. I'm upping Cider to a 40g this week, Apache is already in a 40g. Stormfly is gorgeous! Expect massive growth spurts.

Cider is smol bean, Apache is big bean
20171031_140210.jpg 20171031_140254.jpg

I've really wanted to get into Leos lately too, I just don't want to go into borderline zoo territory. But there's a really cute one at my job that has me smitten..

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,399
I'm rarely on here so I haven't been keeping up with journals like I used to.. I didn't realize you joined the beardie family! I have two boys, a two month old citrus tiger leatherback (possibly hypo?) named Cider and a 6 month old hypo citrus tiger named Apache. Both from PetSmart, separate tanks. I'm upping Cider to a 40g this week, Apache is already in a 40g. Stormfly is gorgeous! Expect massive growth spurts.

View attachment 923841 View attachment 923849

I've really wanted to get into Leos lately too, I just don't want to go into borderline zoo territory. But there's a really cute one at my job that has me smitten..
They're so cute!!!! I want a leatherback pretty bad but I'm with you, I'm already at the zoo level >.<

But good to see you around Tourmaline! Even if it is intermittent ^_^

·
Registered
5,253 Posts

View attachment 923841 View attachment 923849

Beardies are gorgeous! Love names

5381 - 5400 of 5422 Posts