Betta Fish Forum banner

5401 - 5420 of 5422 Posts

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Sorry all power issues. Love pictures. That #2 white fish is gorgeous.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Sucks to hear that your power went out during the wind storm. My mom lives up the mid-coast of Maine, and her power went out, too. Thank goodness she and my stepdad have a generator at their place.

Hopefully all your lizards will be able to stay nice and cozy.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,403
Power is back on!
They had to turn it off again last night to cut the tree off the line and then straighten the pole, took about 4 hours to do.

My drawing tablet died last night as well but I was able to purchase a brand new one this morning because pay-day woohoo! Didn't get as much money since I didn't work a day and a half last week and that hurts >.< But I needed the time to go to the convention I went to.

I separated out Hawkeye and Astrael to see if they'd be any better. Put them in CJ's old 10 with a heat pack since I don't have another UTH at the moment. They were happily lounging on it last night though and this morning. It's hard keeping up with the Emeraid that I have to do with them daily to gain any weight. Hawkeye was eating the waxworms ravenously but he hasn't gained much weight, in fact, I think he lost more :-( He doesn't look good and I'm afraid I'm going to lose him. I'm wondering if it is the parasite...I don't have money to take him to the vet, nor do I think it'd be entirely worth it because if it is the parasite, it's already done too much damage. He was happy in his bath last night though, drinking the water and taking the Emeraid like a good boy. Some days he refuses it and doesn't want it, same with Astrael. I have to force it down her mostly :-( But all the other Leo's are doing just fine. Dorian is still a little small but gaining weight. We'll see what happens now that I took out two of them. I hope it helps.

I'm glad I had these big 72 hour heatpacks, even though they were for shipping; so helpful! I recommend all reptile owners get some of these for just in case. Good for traveling too during cooler months if you have to go to the vet or somewhere.

Fishies are all still mostly fine. The salttank made it through the power outage amazingly, haven't done a thorough check yet but pretty sure everything is still alive. We still had the house hooked up to a huge generator for a few hours a day couple times a day so that helped. There wasn't too much downtime with the filter and heater. Plus we still have the woodstove so the house was warm more or less.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Glad power back on. Heat pads a great idea for emergencies! Did you get them on Amazon?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,405
Glad power back on. Heat pads a great idea for emergencies! Did you get them on Amazon?
AquaBid, bought them originally for shipping but I'm sure the ones on Amazon are just as good and likely cheaper ^_^

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,406
Hawk and Astrael have been doing better on their own. Bought a heater for them and so they've been chilling in a 10 gallon next to the 40B with the other four.

Cloudjumper hasn't really seemed to have eaten since being in the new (old) tank :-/ I think she's stressing about the space she has now. She hides in one corner and that's it :-/

Stormfly has been doing well though she went backwards with being held again and hates me once more >.< Need to take her out more often.

Wiki was doing so well with being out 24/7, he only poops in his cage (so far, haven't found any bunny piles otherwise), and wasn't too destructive until he found an old mesh divider and decided to eat half of it O.O he seems to be fine, no digestive issues yet >.> put him back in his cage last night for the night, he wasn't happy but oh well. Let him out again this morning, though, with plastic mostly out of sight.

I've started on my art commissions again which is great! A little more money for income :-D
Went to the doctor's the other day for these splitting headaches I've been getting the last few weeks. They debilitate me until I sleep it off :-/ no good. She thinks it may be stress/anxiety related as well as the fluorescent lights over work. I'm allergic to the lights, as weird as it sounds, I get red rashes and itchy when I'm under them for prolonged periods of times, sometimes it's not too long depending on how far away they are from me and if they have covers or not. So yeah, it's been fun >.<

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I'd pay to have something like your avatar! o_O Where can I put in for a commission? (JK... Would love to but I'm broke.)

Glad to hear the Leos are doing better. How is Cloudjumper? Wiki?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,408
I'd pay to have something like your avatar! o_O Where can I put in for a commission? (JK... Would love to but I'm broke.)

Glad to hear the Leos are doing better. How is Cloudjumper? Wiki?
For something like my avatar, I'd charge $25, just for a future reference :)

I um...I talked about them in my last post lol, did you not read it or did something happen to the post? I can see it on my end here.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Deeerrrp. I saw your post this morning but didn't post my reply until later in the school day.... I swear, school breaks my brain more than it builds it up/helps me learn.

RIP My Brain 11/15/17

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,410
Sorry I haven't been posting much. I've been lurking but not talking much.

I've been quite busy with a new person in my life which I'm quite excited about. We're not official yet but definitely headed that way!

Hawkeye finally passed yesterday. I had given him a nice warm bath and a meal just a few hours before. I had a feeling but I let him back into his cage for the night. Woke up and he'd passed, likely not too long after that bath since he'd started to smell a bit :-/ So, he's buried now. No more geckos for me, I'm trying to pare down in case of move or rather, in preparation of moving. Plus, also saving money, I really need to focus on that. That's a goal for this year. I wasn't going to make any resolutions since I find them silly, but this one I really need to work on and so I've just decided that will be it. Along with the usual stuff; getting in shape and whatnot but that's a given and not really new.

Wiki was neutered the Friday before Christmas and has been fantastic. I also accidentally cut his quick while trimming nails, that was a bit of a disaster and he was sore for a few days but doing better now. I didn't have any Kwik-Stop on me and had to use flour instead. Mom was pretty upset that he was bleeding but I was calm as I had to be. It actually kind of made me queasy for the first time ever, I can handle blood and especially knowing that this is something that can happen pretty easily, I knew he'd be okay. But, before it actually stopped bleeding, he kicked his (it was his back foot) back foot up and it sprayed me with blood on my face >.< that kind of got me. But, after pinning him properly, I was able to get it to stop bleeding after about half an hour. It was long but he's doing just fine now. My bathroom looked like a murder scene. I'm grateful I had the thought to do it in the bathroom though. I'd thought about doing it on my bed since it's a little higher and I can likely pin him easier, but I'm glad I didn't.

Victoria had her wedding! I was one of the Maid's of Honor ^_^ I also sewed my own dress for the first time and got a lot of good reviews on it! I was quite excited. The wedding was gorgeous and lovely down in Georgia. I had a hard time because I forgot my license and all other forms of ID at home :-( but thankfully I was still able to fly after going through rigorous testing and pat downs. But all was well in the end.

As far as fish go, I still have my 45 downstairs, my 29 salt, and a few small betta tanks laying around with fish in them. My rooms are getting cold though and it's been hard to keep everything warm. I definitely need to sell off my fish. I can post them here if anyone is interested. I have four females and I think one male left. The wilds will go back to George since he can breed them successfully.

The only lizards I'm definitely keeping are Cloudjumper and Stormfly. The others, I'm not sure what I'll do with. Nox and Lux haven't grown very well even though they get crickets quite often, more than the adults do. I feel bad for them since they're still small. But, I do know they can still go through a growth spurt given the right care. I've just been so darn busy between art commissioning (which is basically my second job now which is good, just time consuming), Wiki, cleaning my rooms, and plenty more. :-/

But yep, I'll be around a little bit. Mostly lurking. You can send me messages and I'll do my best to respond, it's just been tight this time of year. Things settling down after the holidays. Especially after two of my family members fell and broke ribs. My grandfather fell the Saturday before Christmas, broke four left ribs and ruptured his spleen. Then my uncle on the other side of the family slipped and fell the following Saturday and broke his sternum, clavicle, and one rib. >.< so it's been pretty eventful to say the least.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
It's good to see you posting Lil!
I'm sorry about Hawkeye :sad: Losing a pet is no fun.

I hope you have a great New Year!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Is the new person in your life is also into fish keeping...?

I'm sorry about Hawkeye and your grandfather and uncle with broken ribs :(
I'm out of the stressful life now. I feel much better.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,413
It's good to see you posting Lil!
I'm sorry about Hawkeye :sad: Losing a pet is no fun.

I hope you have a great New Year!

I did thank you ^_^

Is the new person in your life is also into fish keeping...?

I'm sorry about Hawkeye and your grandfather and uncle with broken ribs :(
I'm out of the stressful life now. I feel much better.
He likes to eat fish.....I told him that if he touched my fish, he would die lol. He doesn't understand it all but he doesn't mind either :)

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,416
Hi guys! Why can't I see the pics on this thread?
Yeah, my older photos are no longer viable. This is why attaching photos, though it may take longer, is better because they will stick with the site no matter what ^_^

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
He likes to eat fish.....I told him that if he touched my fish, he would die lol. He doesn't understand it all but he doesn't mind either :)
As long as he doesn't hate the hobby, it's all good. I love seafood myself...

I hope he is not into PlayStation games as much as you do, because if so, you guys will have too much fun and won't be able to stop ;-)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ohh. Coz I was trying to see your pics but I'm like: am I tripping?? They were talking about some pics. I was trying to post a thread now but I don't see the link to do it and I can't find any info (i might not be in the right posts) about what to do once the babies are swimming horizontally. Should I turn the filter on already? When should i do a water change? I left the dad there too. Any help is always great appreciated. Thank u all and happy new year ;-)

Here is a short vid

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,419
As long as he doesn't hate the hobby, it's all good. I love seafood myself...

I hope he is not into PlayStation games as much as you do, because if so, you guys will have too much fun and won't be able to stop ;-)

We play PC games together! Haha

Ohh. Coz I was trying to see your pics but I'm like: am I tripping?? They were talking about some pics. I was trying to post a thread now but I don't see the link to do it and I can't find any info (i might not be in the right posts) about what to do once the babies are swimming horizontally. Should I turn the filter on already? When should i do a water change? I left the dad there too. Any help is always great appreciated. Thank u all and happy new year ;-)

Here is a short vid

Betta fish fry - YouTube
I can't see the video at the moment since I'm at work but I can answer the questions at least.

What kind of filter do you have? If it's a sponge filter as it should be, yes, turn that on. You don't want flow that is knocking the babies everywhere so if need be, tie a knot in the hose to lessen it if it isn't adjustable.

Water changes should start about week 2 typically. Everyone does it different, some start right away and some wait even a month. I like to go in the middle of that and start at week 2 just to make sure everyone is strong enough and growing steadily. You don't want to take out too much of their food source if you're using live plants and infusoria. But, if you find the floor of the tank become too muddled, definitely do a small water change. Make sure to drip in the new water through an airline so you don't shock your fry. If you can age your water and heat it to their temp, that's the best thing to do so they don't die of shock.

You can leave daddy in or take him out at this point. It's up to you and how he's doing. If he's still caring for the fry and not eating them then he should be okay to care for them for the next few days or a week. But do be warned that sometimes daddies start to randomly eat fry and will eat off the whole spawn. So, if your fry are doing just fine, it's safe to take him out at this point once they're horizontal. It's just those first two or three days that are pivotal in making sure they stay in the nest and not rot on the floor of the tank.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Good to hear from you Lil. Are you snowed in yet? So deeply sorry to hear of Hawk's passing. I know he was a special one. Exciting to hear you have a new friend in life.

5401 - 5420 of 5422 Posts