Betta Fish Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Wait, you have moly in the salt water tank? I'm lost.
Oh yes! In nature they typically inhabit Brackish Estuaries, Rivers and Streams. They can tolerate very high salinity and are also a really useful addition that will show Marine Ich in the system but not be infected with it themselves, they also eat a lot of the nuisance algaes that grows in the system (Ulva and GHA mostly).

The difficulty is acclimating them back to Fresh Water after being in full salt. Oh they also breed as much in SW as FW but produce fewer offspring. I purposely choose Mollies with very short fins to cope with the high velocity flow in the marine tank (250x turnover or 600GPH wide pumps)

can do the same with Guppies as well I have been told

·
Registered
6 Bettas, Innumerable Snails, 3 Mice, 2 Hissing roaches
2,917 Posts
That's really cool, I never knew that!

I'm guessing they're the kind you just find in the pet store? Or did you find a specific type somewhere else?

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
That's neat!

Did you have to acclimate them to salt water? How do you do that if so? Is it similar to acclimating to any new tank, but just add salinity?
You mentioned(?), they eat algae, do you have to give them anything else?

Hope you don't mind me picking your brain too much :LOL:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
The way I personally have acclimated them to salt water is to temp match and then take a turkey baster of water from the tank to their bag every few minutes for about an hour. Test salinity and make sure it matches and then since I had the Lionfish in already I added them to a isolation bucket (4G bucket with airstone and rock) and left them for 24 hours before seeing how they ate and if they survived the night.

I also purposely feed them marine algae wafer, omnivore pellets. They also eat the mysis, krill, Crab eggs, mussels and the remains of the lancefish I feed the lion. 🤷‍♂️ The main concern is that people in marines use them as a feeder fish for predators like mine or eels etc. They don't have the same fatty acids that marine fish do but their offspring will do if raised in a marine environment. I like shoaling fish but without a huge tank I can't really do that, and if thr lionfish does eat the young it's a good population control

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
That's really neat, thanks for explaining!!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
So i have been thinking about the Mantis Murder Manor tank for a little while now, my main gripe with the tank is the amount of undesirable algae that I am getting in the display portion of the tank. If I didnt have a Mantis Shrimp in here that loves to attack and eat snails I would simply increase the clean up crew, however since i dont want to bankrupt myself feeding her escargot i need to consider an alternative method.

So my idea is to implement a DIY algae scrubber, essentially this means inserting a plastic craft mesh with a roughed up area into the filtration that algae strands can adhere too and light this on a reverse schedule so that the algae continues to grow in the tank but in a way that I can better manage to removal and therefore nutrient control.

I shall play around with the idea tonight and post up a photo of what i come up with along with a regular update, also need to find someone that has a Algae Blenny or Tang that would benefit from the algae from the scrubber (if it works) as I think that I have a spare 12W freshwater light (and algae is closer to plants then coral so the spectrum doesnt need to be more than freshwater i believe)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
So as part of my preparations for summer I have also decided that I would improve the look and the natural filtration of my Office Reef tank. Eventually I want to completely hide the lighting from view using a Mangrove or two so last week I placed an Order for a pair of Red Mangrove Pods. Today they arrived.

Wood Plant Fluid Twig Fashion accessory

They arrived in good condition and have some decent rooting offshoots
Font Material property Wood Paper Handwriting

I found some Styrofoam, punched a couple holes through to make a rudimentary floating device and added them to the tank
Blue Water Purple Rectangle Fluid

Looking forwards to seeing how these develop and whether they can eventually be "bonsai'd" as they grow

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
So its been a week since i jankily put together a DIY algae scrubber and I already can see some issues with the filtration that I want to resolve with version 2.0. The idea seems to work in practise as well as theory so the next version will be a bit more robust and hopefully improved, plus will give me a chance to have a play with things.

So first improvement will be making sure that no light bleeds through the filtration system into the display, but as mentioned janky test of an idea, I am currently looking at plastic tupperware and an airstone for version 2 to see if that would produce more algae than i am getting currently, essentially i need to boost the amount of surface area for algae growth so need a lot more craft mesh to attemp a couple of sheets of grwoth. The airstone will increase the oxygenation level of the tank and hopefully encourage the algae to grow thicker utilising more nutrients
Yellow Rectangle Gold Material property Tints and shades

I also intend to modify the filtration flow from chamber 1 into chamber 2 so may need to swap heaters and locate an automatic top off device for the pump compartment

Attachments

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Just had a thought, i cannot remember the last time that i changed the media n my RODI unit, might be another reason why i am struggling with algae lately in this tank. I have also ordered a refugium pack to restock the little critters in the tank
Liquid Green Botany Leaf Nature

41 - 52 of 52 Posts