3,689 Posts
She's BEAUTIFUL!! Waiting for photos of her in the tank 🥰

Reactions: Ratvan

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
She's BEAUTIFUL!! Waiting for photos of her in the tank 🥰
Thanks, she really is a very pretty fish, just need to play with Macro Lenses and Phone Camera settings to capture the yellow hues. She will be in the QT tank for a week so I can ensure that she eats.

Due to her small size I will have to introduce her into the display via an isolation box and carefully watch how much attention Swim Shady gives her, as previously said she is tiny compared to Swim Shady, thankfully I dont think his mouth is larger then she is

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
She is an absolute beast when it comes to eating, so far she has taken a variety of frozen foods and pellets that I feed to the fish in the display tank.

This includes
Lobster Eggs
Mysis
Krill Superba (Large)
Krill Pacifica (Small)
Chopped Mussel
Carnivore Pellets
Chopped Clams

Water Liquid Purple Underwater Fluid

Water Purple Underwater Liquid Fluid

I also noted that I have a Hitch Hiker or several in the Display tank, these most likely either came in on the Zoa Rock that I added earlier in the month or survived deep in the live rock that I picked up from another reefer and added to the tank.
Water Organism Fish Underwater Fish supply

This thing is tiny (0.5mm) so getting a positive Identification is difficult.
Vertebrate Water Organism Underwater Marine biology

But I think it is either a Dive Snail or a Nano Conch. Either of these two are beneficial additions to a reef tank and will feed on micro fauna and micro algae within the tank. It could also be a Whelk which would be an issue to my Clean Up Crew if it gets large enough to start eating my snail population, i should know if it a whelk if it grows much larger than 25mm but that could take a while

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Awww… your little murder butterfly is adorable!

Are sea snails able to quickly reproduce like some land snails?
Some species of snails reproduce quickly in a reef/marine environment, specifically Dove Snails, Cerith Snails, Trocus Snails and Stormatella (this last one is Gary from Spongebob) all of which i try and encourage within the tank. Some people say that the Nassarius have bred in their tanks but i have never experienced that

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
So since I remembered to bring my Macro Lenses to work with me i took the change to photograph some of the life that exists on the rocks and sand bed.

Below in the centre of the image we have a Tunicate (type of colonial sponge) I have several of these around the tank, also the pink/purple colour on the rocks is coralline algae; a hard calcifying algae, I love this tuff on the rocks and hate it on the glass
Pollinator Underwater Plant Organism Purple

Micro Bristle Star in amongst some of my Macro Algae (this one is a Red Grape Algae)
Water Marine invertebrates Light Natural environment Underwater

A little Filter feeding Tube Worm in the sandbed, I have these over my rocks as well as a huge colony in the rear filtration section
Marine invertebrates Organism Underwater Natural material Stony coral

Finally the smallest life in the tank that I am most impressed with, this is a Blue Tunicate (as well as another tube worm) this Sponge filters the water through vents in the side back into the water column.
Purple Natural environment Organism Natural material Underwater

All the above microlife add a lot of life and filtration to the water. Which is why I dose the tank with a combination of Phytoplankton, Rotifers, Copepods and Isopods. Ensuring that I keep the biodiversity in the tank healthy from the smallest to largest of living things

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
So I entered my office this morning to discover that the carpet was absolutely sodden, fearing the worst I checked out the display tank and discovered no leak. However the storage tub that I use as a QT tank had lost nearly all of its water volume (roughly 3 Gallons left in a 18 Gallon) due to the loss of water the pump had also burned itself out.

I did lose the Guppies and Livebeares that I acclimated to saltwater to act as my breeder fish for live feeder fish as they were in a large hang on the side isolation box within the QT tank and with the water loss they were not submerged when I arrived this morning and looked like a form of jerky.

So urgent transfer of a venomous fish into the display complete using my hands and a lot of muttered prayers and threats as the water level was too low to scoop her out with anything, i also could not make up new water as it would leak directly out again!

You can also see clearer the size difference and why i was concerned about adding her to the display
Fluid Pet supply Glass Window Rectangle

So the office stinks like a fish market (or if you have been unlucky enough to visit the place Grimsby :sick:)
Window Organism Pet supply Glass Water

But Swim Shady shows some interest into the new addition, thankfully not a feeding response. I do love the colour variation between these two fish as well. I dont really want to let her into the display just yet but unsure of keeping her contained in the breeder box over the weekend

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Yeah the tub is in the work skip at the moment as it is not recoverable. I am not planning any further additions (unless i find a Bright Yellow Female) as I am probably slightly over fully stocked as it is. But I do have additional biological filtration on the way in the form of a Protein Skimmer and more Macroalgae.

The good news is that both fish seem to be interacting well in the display tank, I have seen what I think is pairing/bonding behaviour but as many people dont keep or study these fish this is purely guesswork at the moment. However they swim cheek to cheek (through the box) with Swim Shady flaring ALL his fins and spines, he looks beautiful and the seem to match their lunge forwards while doing this "dance"

Both fish colours are darkening as well during this so I know this is not a stress response (colours fade with stress). I plan on feeding the tank heavily today and tomorrow and then plan the release into the display tank on Tuesday so i have a chance to monitor and intervene if it goes wrong day 1.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
So my morning greeting when I saw the tank today
Fish supply Organism Cuisine Dish Marine biology

To my absolute delight, it seems that a bond is starting between the two Lionfish.
Marine invertebrates Organism Underwater Fish Water

They stay within a couple of inches of each other at all times, whether its swimming, feeding or perching on the rocks. I ave also seen the cheek to cheek swimming happen more than once today so it seems my fears about compatibility are so far unfounded. Lets hope that it continues

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Since it is a rather quiet day in the office today I took the chance to grab a few more photos from around the tank. Firstly I removed the unsightly Polystyrene Mangrove Pod floater and glued two 90 hooks to the rear of the display that I cable tied the mangroves too, this should encourage growth and make the display look a little more finished.

The root systems are now approaching 6" so i hope that the leaves start forming soon, i know its a tree but its so slow growing
Water Light Organism Fluid Underwater

Under the Mangroves are my current corals for this tank, a mixed rock of Green and Red Zoas. I still need to dial in the lighting so that the colours really pop and it doesnt offend my eyes as I dont like the heavy blue look that most reefers shoot for. Also Red Zoas in the back are still sulking so no idea whats up with those
Plant Organism Water Underwater Flower

And then the Mushroom Corals that pop up all over my tanks
Water Underwater Fluid Marine biology Coral

Now onto the fun stuff. THE FISHIES

GHOST FACED KRILLA
Water Marine invertebrates Underwater Marine biology Coral

SWIM SHADY
Purple Underwater Organism Marine invertebrates Scorpionfish

Marine invertebrates Purple Organism Fish Terrestrial plant

and last but not least

CARPI B
Organism Underwater Marine biology Marine invertebrates Insect

Underwater Organism Pollinator Marine biology Marine invertebrates

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Well I have been reading a lot of scientific papers lately that have given me an idea for a truly crazy experiment based purely on one type of coral and a small but stable environment. Just need to swing it with the bosses

81 - 100 of 102 Posts