Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some one left my Beta Fish on my front porch on 2/26/13. I am a Dog person so searched for care instructions on line and Severus has been fine until about 30 days ago. When he sees the yellow container his food is in, he swims to the top and eats voraciously. Now he just spends time at the bottom and no longer gets excited about the yellow container. Today, I received a notice (indicated not a danger) that the city water supply has a high coliform number. Could this bacteria be causing the problem? I don't know his age...could this be a sign of aging? I've become endeared to this little guy. Can someone help?:roll:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Wow, that's one for the books. I've had critters left on my doorstep, but never a fish. Probably some kids mother told him to find it another home. So glad you took him in and are caring for him. If the city is posting about impurities in the water then it's a good guess that it's a good part of what is making him sick. So that we have more background can you please fill out the questionaire below.
And if by yellow container...you mean Tetramin flakes, it's not the best thing to be feeding him, it's not nutrionally complete for a betta. He needs a good pelleted food such as New Life Spectrum betta. Eating flakes he can ingest a lot of air along with the flake and that isn't good. Also, it is harder to keep track of just how much you are feeding him. A betta's stomach is only the size of his eye, and if overfed he can become sick. Problem with bettas is that they are little water piggies......they will keep eating and have you think they are constantly starving.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reply to TerriGtoo/Re:Listless Fishy

Thank you for your reply. He is not as Orange as when I first housed him and he's is not animated at all...just lays at the bottom. The container is just about 1/2 gal. At first, I let the water age for 7 days with no treatment and I clean everything with tap water (plant, decorative glass pebbles, the container) while he is in another small container that I have transferred him to that has the new aged water in it. His age that I know of is 19 months. The food is made by Tetra and the label reads BettaMin Tropical Medley. I noticed the change gradually about 4 weeks ago. Yesterday, I purchased a product made by Mars Fishcare North America, Inc, and the front label reads: Splendid Betta complete water conditioner. I have attached 2 images of Severus's house.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
To start a half gallon is MUCH too small for any fish. 1 gallon is absolute minimum but many (including myself) saying that the smallest tank for a betta is 2.5 gallon.

You also need a heater. Those are required for bettas.

You said you didn't use water conditioner until recently? Unfortunately that isn't good at all. Even if you are aging the water, the harmful chemicals will not evaporate out like they would in the old days. you NEED a water conditioner.

You food also isn't good. You shouldn't feed them flakes since it leads to constipation.

My advice is to get a 2.5 gallon tank ASAP. While he is in the .5 gallon tank you NEED to do daily 100% water changes to keep the ammonia levels down. The problem is that you are poisoning your fish with ammonia right now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
VivianKJean

Thank you for your reply and I hope it's not too late to make these important changes. I am treating the water presently as I indicated in my post that you replied to. I did not plan on having a fish friend, as I stated initially, he was left on my front porch on 2/26/13.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I know you weren't planning on getting a fishy friends. You are taking the right steps by coming to this forum now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.