Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all :)

My little fishy seems to have some holes in his dorsal fin... :(
poor little guy. im not sure why, his water and everything is always nice and clean... it kinda looks like this dorsal fin has some see-thru patches in it. its really weird. And I cant take a photo because he swims too fast!
My first thoughts were ammonia, it was a little high this morning which I though strange because I gave him a full water change 3 days ago! anyway, details below:

Housing
What size is your tank? 15 litres
What temperature is your tank? 26-27 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NLS pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day - 3 in morning, 3 in eve, day off on sundays

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? twice a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? half on a Tuesday and full on friday
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner - new one called fluval?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? his dorsal looks a bit see through in some spots and he has two tiny holes
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? hasn't - still a psycho!
When did you start noticing the symptoms? have noticed the see thru parts for the last month or maybe more... but didn't really pay much attention because it looks worse when the sun is shining on his tank. little holes maybe 3 weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? not yet, just regular water changes
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no, hes been healthy ever since I have had him (touch wood). just the odd tear from over flaring
How old is your fish (approximately)? almost 2?

Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Can you post a Picture?? Tears and holes in fins can be cause by anything from over flaring to fin biting to bacterial/viral infection or parasites.. Having a picture will help us better assess the situation and offer a more specific course of treatment...

That being said: given your description of his normal behavior as being "Psycho" I am willing to bet it is from either over flaring or fin biting... Either way, try upping the water changes to maybe 3 a week, as oppose to 2, and, if your so compelled too, adding a little Aquarium Salt (dosage is 1tsp per gallon) and/or Stress Coat to the water to help clean the wound and promote healing (This is sometimes suggested but not necessarily needed, having clean warm water is the most important thing).... Also, if you can find a product such as SeaChem Prime and or Ammo-lock, something that locks the ammonia "temporarily" rendering it harmless (usually last, I believe, 24-48 hours) between water changes, that may help too, seeing as long term exposure to ammonia can also cause fin issues, amongst other things....

So hope I worded that right...........

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply!!
I will try and get a picture tonight/tomorrow morning. I thought the holes could be a result of flaring since he is an absolute mental (I wouldn't have it any other way!!) I did think it may be biting, but I don't know how he could bite the dorsal fin? I will up his water changes and do a half one tonight. I don't have any aquarium salt or any of the other products.
you worded it perfectly thank you so much!
In regards to the fin looking see thru... any ideas on that?
In the mean time I will try and get a pic :)

·
Registered
579 Posts
Often when fins are "see thru" but intact and there are no other signs of illness or injury it is just normal "coloration". If there is evidence of fin damage to begin with, be it from illness or injury, and attempts to treat are being actively made (with no further signs of illness progression) it signals tissue repair.....

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I have attached some pics... sorry they are not great. If there is something that makes Julio mad its my phone! Then he got camera shy and was hiding behind his plant...

so in the first two pics, you can see the little holes, and in the third, you can see how its kind of see through...

I cant remember if the fin was always like this to be honest. the little holes are new, but the see-through-ness (!) has been like that for at least a few months.

Attachments

·
Registered
610 Posts
From what I can see, they look just like what my oldest betta Iggy had. He had them for as long as I can remember and it never effected him or his fins. The spots never got bigger or tore through and he never had any fin issues. They actually had an iridescent look to them like he had on the rest of his fins.

Just keep an eye on it and make sure that they don't become holes or his fin(s) don't become damaged. If you start seeing a thin black line around the holes or the outside of his fins, then that is fin rot (or melt) and then you will start treatment. But for now, just keep an eye on it to make sure that nothing major happens, and I'm sure he will be just fine! Iggy lived 4 1/2 years with transparent holes like that and he was healthy as could be!!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the replies :)
his fins def don't have any black around them. like I said I im not sure how long its been like that, I just know the little holes are new. Hes not effected by them thank god, nothing phases this guy!
Since these holes are new im thinking it may be the new water conditioner - someone said it doesn't help with ammonia... its called fluval. anyway, I think im going to grab some stress coat after work!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.