Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I hope i am posting in the right thread, if not please direct me to the place where to do this :)

But it seems like i have little itsy bitsy white snails roaming around my aquarium and i'm afraid it might be bad for Geralt, my betta ,and his companions.

I recently moved my betta into a 40L tank so i could get him some company and a better overall housing situation. Its been 3 weeks and he seems really happy and thriving. He has 2 Panda corydoras as company and he honestly couldn't care less xD

I used to change/clean the water once a week with the old tank, but i got a finrot scare with Geralt and with this new tank i change 30% of the water twice a week and clean the aquarium on sundays.

But 5 minutes ago i noticed these things (which i am assuming are snails). What do you guys think?

I've attached photos of the full tank, the happy (and angry at the camera) betta, the Panda corydoras and the snails so you guys can have a good idea of what im talking about.

Thankyou all in advance!

Attachments

· Registered
646 Posts
Snails won't harm your buddy fish unless their population gets out of hand.
Your betta may even decide to taste test the snails and get a free meal. My king betta occasional hunts the snails in his tank, though the other three bettas I have don't care about the snails.

The snails probably moved in on a plant as eggs, which is why it took some time for them to be big enough for you to notice.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Snails won't harm your buddy fish unless their population gets out of hand.
Your betta may even decide to taste test the snails and get a free meal. My king betta occasional hunts the snails in his tank, though the other three bettas I have don't care about the snails.

The snails probably moved in on a plant as eggs, which is why it took some time for them to be big enough for you to notice.
Thankyou for your quick answer!!
What should i do if they do get too many? Is there some sort of treatment i should make?

· Registered
144 Posts
Get a assassin snail for your tank, I'm not sure what size your tank is, but if it's at least 5-10 gallons you should be able to put one assassin snail in there.

Maybe someone else would have alternatives as well if you don't have a lfs or supplier close enough to get the assassin snail. I think I have heard if you put a slice of cucumber of zucchini in the tank it would draw the baby snails to it

· Registered
499 Posts
Okay, so looking at your set up, to get rid of snails the best idea is to manually remove them, also, corys really need to be in a group, hopefully of about 5, but your tank is 10 gallons, so when you see the snails remove them, as well as try to find a time to get 3 more panda corys. But the snails, the best thing is to just remove them as you see them, as well as removing eggs if you see them. You could also invest in an assassin snail, but be careful with the stocking levels.

· Registered
499 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

· Registered
144 Posts
Depends on the betta, some are good with snails/shrimp in the tank, some...well are not quite happy about the tankmates.

· Registered
646 Posts
If they get out of hand you can manually remove them, or buy an assassin snail.
Over crowded in that size of tank is where you can count more then five snails of those type of snails(ramshorn or pondsnails I think). They are just like fish, so to many can cause ammonia problems and more.

Before you go buy an assassin snail, be sure to research them, they hunt snails.

· Registered
2,860 Posts
Awww how cute baby MTS.

Malaysian Trumpet Snail
Melanoides tuberculata
By: Ryan Wood​
The Malaysian Trumpet Snail is a great to have in any aquarium. There are some with different patterns, shapes, size, dark or light colored. It is a beautiful snail to see up close in person. In some forums as well as blogs the Malaysion Trumpet Snail is instead used as the acronym MTS.​
There is a lot of bad rep that all snails have received. A lot of hobbyists tend to think that having any type of snail in their aquarium is horrible and all must be removed immediately. There are even chemicals that are solely meant for killing snails in the aquarium. I highly recommend that you never use any chemical meant to kill snails in a tank with shrimp. Snails are not bad for your aquarium. Overfeeding your tank is what causes snail outbreaks. Most snails will actually leave your plants alone and instead eat the algae off of the leaves as well as glass. Do not think that a snail is a pest, they can be extremely useful in any aquarium.​
The Malaysian Trumpet Snail is actually a benefit to any aquarium for several reasons. It will not eat your plants at all. This snail also will not "muscle" your shrimp off of food meant for the shrimp. The Malaysian Trumpet Snail feeds on detritus and leftover food that is underneath the substrate. It actually burrows in the substrate and moves around throughout. You will rarely see this snail during the day. Occasionally it will emerge from the substrate. A cool thing is that sometimes you will see the substrate move and you will know that there is a Malaysian Trumpet Snail underneath doing its cleaning duties.​
The fact that this snail burrows and eats detritus is an excellent perk to having it. Another great perk is that while it is underneath the substrate moving it is at the same time aerating the substrate. Substrate aeration is a great benefit to planted aquariums as it promotes air exchange and root growth. They will not disturbed any plant roots or move wood/rocks around your aquarium.​
The Malaysian Trumpet Snail reproduces live young and does not lay eggs. They can reproduce rapidly however. Rapid reproduction is a sign that you either need to feed your inhabitants less or vacuum the gravel extensively. You do not want to rely on this snail to do all of the gravel cleaning. High temperatures can also result in rapid reproduction if coupled with overfeeding.​
This snail is an all around must have for most aquariums. They are very cool to look at, extremely docile, do not eat plants, aerate substrate, eat detritus, and do not harm other inhabitants.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.