Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that as part of conditioning your fish for breeding you can feed them live food such as brine shrimp or blood worms, but I am having trouble finding live ones. All I have seen locally is freeze dried or frozen. Can anyone suggest some good resources for buying live food?

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
Depending on where you live and weather....Mosquito larva are the best to use for conditioning breeders IMO/E...Mass feed them and an already healthy, nutritiously sound Betta will be ready in 3-4 days. Otherwise, good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals 4-6 times a day using processed foods.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you. mosquito larva will be an option for me once the weather gets warmer. i guess ill just used processed foods for now or maybe ill go get some sea monkeys at toys r us lol

·
Registered
248 Posts
if u can get frozen bloodworm, I think it's okay, I use it also. Or maybe u can try shrimp. peel, dip in boiled hot water for about 5 mins or so ( I never count the time exactly ) to sterilize, chop it to tiny pieces ( betta mouth size ) or just put it in a food processor if u have one, just don't put too much since the shrimp meat may get rotten in the tank, try to give your betta a tiny piece first, see if he/she likes it ( mine usually does ).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Me too

I'm trying to condition for breeding as well and i had the same trouble as you. I think you really need to go to a specialized aquarium store to get good quality, live food. I just purchased the frozen Hikari blood worms and brine shrimp and been feeding them that. They really like it.

I read online that if you can't find the live ones, then the frozen is the next best bet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you everyone i will try your suggestions. also i read in another thread that red cherry shrimp will breed in your tank and that the bettas can eat those. anyone know anything about that?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts