Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again, everybody!

I am curious. I was thinking of getting some live foods for my fish for enrichment and hunting purposes and was curious as how to go about it. Is it best to order? I have yet to find live foods at my pet stores. I’m in Kentucky, USA and just thought it would be an interesting thing to do. Where do you guys go or order from?

Thanks!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Order?

I breed my own, Brine shrimp, I have a small earth worm farm, Maggots just leave a bit of meat in a tin can for a few days, Daphnia, I buy baby crickets, fruit fly, I have an endless supply of cherry shrimp and snails.

However I do understand that some people haven't got the room.

·
Registered
214 Posts
You can order a culture of daphnia on eBay and raise them yourself.

Get this - I've got a Tupperware "Tote" thingy on the fire escape of my NYC apartment LoL. I filled it with aged water, threw in some dried leaves and a few twigs, and I've got a solar powered water pump in that thing.

Dumped in the daphnia culture - set it and forget it. I don't fuss with it at all, barely feed them.

If I can do it anyone can do it Lol

One caveat - the daphnia crash in the summer. They prefer cool weather - I've sucked them up with a turkey baster from under the ice before.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
409 Posts
Off topic

Get this - I've got a Tupperware "Tote" thingy on the fire escape of my NYC apartment LoL
That's not funny, where I live that's a criminal offense should there be a fire and somebody dies or gets hurt you will go to prison, Emergency exits are meant to be kept clear of all obstructions at all times.

I am a fire warden In a residential building If you so much as put a small pot plant on the fire escape it would mean eviction and a $1000 fine.

Fire is no joke and obstructing a fire escape with even a 4by 4 inch container could cost a life.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
RE totes on a fire escape: It depends on where you live, and exactly what Phish Head meant by "fire escape". For example my apartment (converted residential house for context) has a set of external stairs which local building codes require as a secondary emergency exit... But they're also just our back "deck" and main way into the building, and we have planters, a grill, etc. on them. So while yes, if it is against your local law or building codes then it's obviously bad to have anything on a fire escape. But if it isn't illegal, then it is the apartment owner's choice whether to take the risk of tripping over something like a tote or planter in an emergency situation.

But that's all pretty far off-topic from the original post. :)

The only live foods besides crickets I have seen in a pet store were little containers of flightless fruit flies. In theory you could get them out of the little containers and set up your own culture that's more self-sustaining, since there's only so much food in them originally.

But your best bet for a decent, betta-friendly variety of options is going to be to order online. Ebay can be good, and AquaBid.com - just make sure to check out the seller's ratings and reviews first!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts