Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I put live plants In a 2 gallon tank?

Possibly some Java Fern. How much lighting would I need to keep them alive?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How big is your tank? Also do you have to have your tank cycled to have live plants. I usually do 50% and 100% water changes weekly. It seems like it would be hard with live plants.

·
Registered
35 Posts
How big is your tank? Also do you have to have your tank cycled to have live plants. I usually do 50% and 100% water changes weekly. It seems like it would be hard with live plants.
I got two tanks a 2.5g and a 5g. Both tanks planted and filter/ cycled and heated. I do weekly water changes as well. Good way to re organize my plant locations. I have lots of plants too. :p

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
1-50 and 1-100% water changes a week it perfect for 2- 2.5 gall tank. I have live plants too. When i do my 100% water change i just take everything out and rinse it with water. I think it even better to do 100% with plants because you can check if roots rotten.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1-50 and 1-100% water changes a week it perfect for 2- 2.5 gall tank. I have live plants too. When i do my 100% water change i just take everything out and rinse it with water. I think it even better to do 100% with plants because you can check if roots rotten.
I only have a 7 watt light bulb, do you think that is sufficient enough to keep Java fern alive?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also ANHEL what would be a good floating plant that I could put in my two gallon tank that would stay alive?

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
Java fern is a fairly low demanding plant and since it doesn't need to be rooted in the substrate they do well in smaller tanks....even with the java fern tied to something you don't need to make 100% water changes-it won't hurt-but if the plant is actively growing and you are not grossly overfeeding with lots of left over food (small amount is okay and the plant will use it for food) you should be able to maintain water quality in a 2gal unfiltered tank with an actively growing Java fern with a couple of weekly 50% and if it is producing lots of baby ferns-weekly 50% with light vacuum weekly.....

Lights being the driving force behind plant growth-kelvin being more important than watts-the Java fern will do much better if you use a light in the 5500-6500k range on at least 9-10h/day photoperiod- remembering that it is important to change the florescent bulb every 12 months since it can be used up-we can see the light but the plant can't use it for photosynthesis.

You know the Java fern is thriving when you see new leaf growth and baby ferns sprouting from the leaves....

A good floating plant is water lettuce....

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the information OldFishLady. I like the water lettuce a lot! Do you know where I could find some of the Water Lettuce?
Would that survive in my little tank... What do I have to feed it? Should I use liquid fertilizer? Should i put my plant in and wait before I buy my new betta or can I do it all at once?

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
My water lettuce does fine in my smaller tanks and I don't add any ferts but I also use dirt for my substrate-that said, fish food is a great plant food as well as the fish waste and byproducts they create...what is most important is the lights as I posted earlier-remembering-without proper lights plant food is useless for the plants.....

You can usually find water lettuce at shops that also sell goldfish, koi and pond stuff since this is a common plant used for them-or if you have a local aquarium club check them out....otherwise if not at a local fish shop-online would be my best guess.....

Once the properly dechlorinated water comes to temp-properly acclimate to both tank temp and chemistry then add the Betta....then monitor-making the needed water changes....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.