Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3-4 weeks ago we were in one of our local Walmarts- we have 4 within 15 miles of us...i know crazy right. Only 2 of them carry bettas and only one carries other fish. The one that carries other fish, is the one I keep having issues with. So anyway, 3-4 weeks ago, we were there, and the bettas were in awful condition. The worst was gray, heavy stress stripes, ammonia burns on his gills, his top scales were burned, and his water was TERRIBLE! Surprisingly, he still looked interested at us when we picked up his cup. So he went home with us, i tested his water (it was literally off the charts with ammonia) and I contacted Walmart about their horrible betta conditions. A few days later, I heard back from one of the assistant managers, we spoke, and I was assured they'd better train the ppl in that department about the bettas.
A week or so later I was back in the fish department. The bettas looked great. Right up until I noticed 1,2,3 empty containers, and a bowl with 3 male bettas in it. The HORROR! To make it worse, someone had dumped a BUNCH of food into the bowl. I grabbed up the empty cups, and the bowl and separated the bettas out while sending my husband to find someone. We looked at the community tanks and there were about 50-75 dead fish in the community tanks, as well as one lone, rather happy betta. We finally got an assistant manager (after 30 minutes wait) who said that wasn't her department and she knew nothing about fish, but she'd contact the manager of that department.
After 45 minutes, my 4 year old had had enough, and I had to leave, with the manager of that department still a no-show.
On my way out the door, I was already on my phone emailing Walmart, yet again, about the conditions of their fish. I have now been upgraded to the manager of the store. He called me tonight, apologized for the long response time that night, and asked about the conditions.I explained about the dead fish in the community tank, the betta fighting arena, and the community betta. I also pointed out that the location of the fish was a really poorly thought out spot (it's way back in one corner of the store, totally unsupervised). He informed me that he is headed to a conference of stores and this will be brought up with the head of the local district to see about changes, either no longer carrying fish, or doing a better placement so that the fish are no longer unsupervised and in a death corner. We shall see.
I am now curious, if it continues to have problems, who shall I speak to next? Will I be upgraded to district manager?
(for those curious, the betta brought home at the beginning of this, is named Loki, he is now out of quarantine, and he is a beautiful crowntail with a purple/red body and blue and red fins)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Next Step

Some may agree or disagree with what I am about to comment on.
What you should do is take pictures and then email them to Walmart's Corporate office which is in Bentonville, Arkansas. I am sure some other members who live in Arkansas might have better options.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Why doesn't the IBC not involved in speaking with Walmart and other stores about the health of betta fish in stores?

I know some community members know who the IBC is?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd really rather deal locally first. If it doesn't get better, I do have pics, and documentation of date, time, location each of these happen at, as well as the response. Mostly because I think corporate will do absolutely nothing, but locally, I've gotten at least some response. If in a couple months or so, nothing changes, I'll take more pics, and then forward those all on to corporate. I've worked places before where corporate comes in, makes rules that make no sense and pretty much change nothing but adding more tasks that essentially do absolutely no good, but look good on paper. So, like I said, I'm trying locally first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts