Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Moony has been having so much trouble I'm at wits end. He had a recurrent cyst that burst a couple of times, the last time was 3/8. I moved him to a heated, filtered 2.5 gallon hospital tank with daily water changes. The cyst hasn't recurred but he's not doing well. Very thin, he must be eating a little though I've not seen it. He just sits at the top on hammock/silk plant or heater. He gasps at the surface every 10-30 seconds. His gills are flared out. His tail and fins look raggedy, torn (but nothing to tear them). I did 6 days of Epsom salt water with no change in looks or behavior. Nothing that looks like infection on the outside.

My question is: do I keep him in the small (not cycled) tank with full water changes daily, and the trauma of the changes OR should I move him back to his original tank, cycled (0/0/20)? Both tanks are heated, original is has plants and a snail. Please, any suggestions are welcome.

·
Super Moderator
2,813 Posts
Please fill out the form found at this link http://www.bettafish.com/99-betta-fish-diseases-emergencies/612810-please-read-before-posting-fill-out-form-so-we-can-best-help-your-betta.html , just copy and paste it into the thread and fill it out. It'll help us help your betta.

Just in general, if he's swimming alright, I'd move him back to his main tank, and make sure that he has stuff at the top to rest on. Either way you go do not do 100% water changes if you discontinue using Epsom Salt (it should only be used for 10 days), instead on the cycled tank do 25% 2x a week to make sure the water is kept clean for him, and in the hospital tank do 50% water changes at least 2x a week but test the water to make sure no ammonia or nitrite build up.

I'd also add Indian Almond Leaf and Stress guard (not Stress Coat) to the tank, they will help keep infection away.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So below is hosp tank, he really isn't swimming well. Tried to tempt him to eat with blood worms, nope. Honestly not sure how he's still alive with as little (none) that he's eating. I did add 5 drops more of prime today in hope to get the ammonia down, added new IAL and stress guard last night with water change.

Housing: Hospital tank, not cycled
How many gallons is your tank? 2.5
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?no

Food:
What food brand do you use? Omega one
Do you feed flakes or pellets? both but only flakes in hospital, blood worms frozen
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?Not eating, 3-4 pellets or 1 crumbled flake

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? weekly, cycled tank 0/0/10-20
What percentage of water did you change? 25-30%
What is the source of your water? tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? vacuum
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner?prime/stress guard/IAL

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water *before* the regular water change; not after one.

Water changed less than 24 hours ago.
Ammonia: 1.0 I tested tap ammonia is 1.0-2.0
Nitrite:.25
Nitrate: 10
pH: 7.6
Hardness (GH): 30
Alkalinity (KH): 40

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?first cyst 2/16, second 3/8
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? ragged fins
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? not swimming well, floats up, sitting at top of tank on leaves
Is your Betta still eating? not really
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? see above
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? no
How long have you owned your Betta? 6 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?no

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Poor guy...he's had a rough time of it. Any update with him? I'm sorry it is not sounding good. How long has he not been eating? It's not good when they stop eating.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: I've moved him back to his main tank. He's about the same though I've seen him actually swim a bit on purpose. He hasn't really eaten since about 3/6, though he must be eating just a bit, just haven't observed it. I think I'll keep doing what I'm doing and unless he gets much worse, I'll let nature take it's course. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You have ammonia and nitrites in your tap water... that can't be good for him. Did you try the walstad method ? No water change (just top offs with RO water) could actually be good for him, as he would not be exposed to ammonia and nitrites, though his tank would have to be very planted for it to work.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I picked up some RO water. The tank is lightly planted but I figure some new different H2O may help. Plus IAL and Stresscoat. I'll do a water change tomorrow, just did one yesterday. Poor fishy. Does anyone know how long Prime takes to remove ammonia?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Final update. I helped Moony across the rainbow bridge this afternoon. He turned out to be blind on one side, was eating a tiny bit occasionally for the last couple weeks but last night had a crisis. He sank to the bottom, gasping and couldn't stay upright. This AM he was draped over a leaf, not dead but not sustainable. SIP, you were a fighter Mr. Moon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts