Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some bigger friendly plants. Either low for hiding or big leaves for shade coverage.

I have two varieties that are growing okay in my tank. I had to pull another out because they were rotten and not showing good regrowth (and I was worried they were not helping my ammonia levels which were increasing).

I live in Western Canada.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should clarify too I'm looking to buy plants on here if anyone has any for sale.

Thank you for the link and plant names!

·
Super Moderator
19,237 Posts
A lot of it depends on light and parameters like pH, hardness, etc. There are several "beginner" plants I cannot grow because I have semi-hard water and a pH of around 8.0. So when you narrow down the ones you like the looks of make sure the parameters fit.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm looking for some bigger friendly plants. Either low for hiding or big leaves for shade coverage.

I have two varieties that are growing okay in my tank. I had to pull another out because they were rotten and not showing good regrowth (and I was worried they were not helping my ammonia levels which were increasing).

I live in Western Canada.
My favorites are Java Fern, Anacharis and Anubias Nana. They worked very well for me and my betta loved them. Java fern is great to root and gives them hiding and exploration options. Anacharis is lovely as it can be rooted or floated. Anubias Nana has a broader leaf and can also be floated (my betta actually used the rhizome as a hammock lol)...works great rooted too, just be careful not to bury the rhizome (leave that part above the substrate). Good luck!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've had fantastic luck with a few plants and im by no mean an plant gurue. Horwort has worked out well, nice and bushy and grows readily with a semi decent light. Duckweed, surface plant, especially for shade. Moss balls, adorable and impossible to kill. And finally java moss. These are the four plants i have an i was looking into getting some anubius as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts