Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to the forum. I want to start a Betta sorority and would like to acquire sisters if possible, or girls that have been in close proximity. Any breeders in or around Calgary?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi, new to the forum. I want to start a Betta sorority and would like to acquire sisters if possible, or girls that have been in close proximity. Any breeders in or around Calgary?
While I don’t live in AB, I can say, it’s not required to have sisters in order to have a sorority. I’ve had a personal sorority that consisted of several female bettas that weren’t related at all in fact!

If there aren’t any breeders that can help you, you could go to your lfs and simply place the bettas in the cups near one another. Bettas you’re going to be wanting in a sorority shouldn’t show much interest in one another, and should display very little aggression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
I had to separate my betta fry when they were 2 months old. Now that they’ve been separated for a few weeks I can tell who is male and who is female. I keep paper between the containers and move it once a day so they can see each other. The females are all very aggressive. Even before they were separated they picked on each other. I moving proven females out of the betta rack and back into a single tank. I’m going to have to float them in cups together in order to reintroduce them. It’s essentially the same thing with non related females like kaderTheAnt posted above. Sorority is always going to keep you on your toes. Related or not, some females just wont do well in a sorority it’s pretty hit and miss on personalities.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While I don’t live in AB, I can say, it’s not required to have sisters in order to have a sorority. I’ve had a personal sorority that consisted of several female bettas that weren’t related at all in fact!

If there aren’t any breeders that can help you, you could go to your lfs and simply place the bettas in the cups near one another. Bettas you’re going to be wanting in a sorority shouldn’t show much interest in one another, and should display very little aggression.

Thanks! I end it up getting them from a fish store, 2 actually as neither had a lot of selection. I got 2 from one store that where on the same tank and 3 from another store that were all in cups. When I first put them on the tank (yesterday) they all ignore each other, towards the night they started "testing" each other boundaries and I have noticed they have defaulted to 2 "gangs": the 2 that were together (crown tail) in one "gang" and the other 3 that were all in cups (plakats I believe) in another "gang". The PK gang seems way more territorial than the CT, and one of them is actively chasing the 2 CT all over the tank, not a lot of fin nipping and no fighting at all, mostly posturing and high-speed chases. Incidentally, the chaser female (I named her Indi) has vertical lines. They are all about 4 to 6 months old so I think they are stress lines and she's reacting aggressively against the others? I'm hoping is normal as they are still adapting to the new space and each other but keeping a very closed eye on them anyways. Thoughts?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks! I end it up getting them from a fish store, 2 actually as neither had a lot of selection. I got 2 from one store that where on the same tank and 3 from another store that were all in cups. When I first put them on the tank (yesterday) they all ignore each other, towards the night they started "testing" each other boundaries and I have noticed they have defaulted to 2 "gangs": the 2 that were together (crown tail) in one "gang" and the other 3 that were all in cups (plakats I believe) in another "gang". The PK gang seems way more territorial than the CT, and one of them is actively chasing the 2 CT all over the tank, not a lot of fin nipping and no fighting at all, mostly posturing and high-speed chases. Incidentally, the chaser female (I named her Indi) has vertical lines. They are all about 4 to 6 months old so I think they are stress lines and she's reacting aggressively against the others? I'm hoping is normal as they are still adapting to the new space and each other but keeping a very closed eye on them anyways. Thoughts?
I’d give it a couple of days, and if the aggressor hasn’t settled down, I’d suggest removing her and replacing her with another female.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
I find that the most aggressive females are usually the most insecure. Hopefully she settles down. Instead of removing her you could float her in the tank in a cup, maybe on top of a plant so the free girls aren’t coming up underneath her while she floats. Sometimes a time out helps Calm aggression and sometimes it makes them more aggressive because of built up frustration. It will help when whoever decides they are Alpha female takes control. My alpha female used to break up chases in my sorority which I always appreciated lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts