Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't mind if they're still young as long as I can see the patterns. Post here with pics or PM with pics. Provide any history of illness and what price you're asking.

The cheaper, the better, but I will pay more for high quality fish.

Looking for bettas to compliment their colors. My current breeding fish include...

Males:
1 plakat
1 crowntail

Apollo.png Knight again.jpg

Females:
2 veiltails

Jewel vibrant.png Aurora.jpg

I had more, but unknowingly bought a sick fish and it spread, killing 4 other bettas. Now that the disease is officially gone, I'm looking to adopt (free basically, but I pay shipping) or buy.

Due to my financial state, if I want to be able to take care of these fish, I can't buy any fish over $10. Sorry guys.

Also, anyone who gives me bettas free (with me paying shipping of course) or with a discount (which I will check your other sales for), gets free or discounted bettas from my future fry. ;)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen his aquabid before. I just wish shipping (for anything) wasn't so expensive. It's more than the fish!

It is very tempting, though. If I don't have any luck, I may just go for some of them. Do you know if aquabid ships cheaper grouped, or is that all up to the breeders? If I but from there, I'll only be able to get one fish right now.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's two of the cheaper males I'd love to have, but my Paypal is empty and one of the bids closed. Do you know if he puts them back up if no one claims them? Neither were bid on yet.

I'll look into :) Thank you~

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
It's a bit of a risk since you don't know the color but you can order a HM female from Petco.com and shipping is free.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much are they? If it's not too bad I may get one anyway. Do you know if they sell them in store or just online?

·
Registered
220 Posts
It's a bit of a risk since you don't know the color but you can order a HM female from Petco.com and shipping is free.
I looked into ordering from Petco online before and the cost of shipping a betta is $30. It's actually cheaper in a lot of cases to order from aquabid than from Petco.com

CarmanDirda said:
How much are they? If it's not too bad I may get one anyway. Do you know if they sell them in store or just online?
It's usually $12.99 for a halfmoon female. They're on sale right now but the females are out of stock. When I looked there's actually a $30 shipping charge. They are supposed to sell them in stores too but I've never seen anything other than VT or CT females. It all depends on your store though.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
aww I was wrong sorry, I was told that by the petco manager and should of checked first.

If you go to your petco you can ask if they can special order a HM female for you and see how much it would be.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
there is also martinimommy but she has a big price, since she has quality betta's from a best breeder in the U.S. or something :p but not sure if she is selling anything right now :|
and there is hopdiggity, she is a awesome seller, though she isn't a breeder. you gotta act fast to get one of her's since she dosen't always have betta's to sell. there gorgeous and when i got mine, she came in perfect :-D but sadly there pretty expensive.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah. Well, the only PetCo store is far away, so not going that far for potentially nothing.

I PM'd her. :)

Thank you guys so far! Haven't got any sure things, but plenty to look at.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, well, with getting new supplies and everything my spending money is tight. Not like I have much cash to begin with.

Have to replace decorations and a tank contaminated by sick fish I got from Petsmart. Tried cleaning the crap out of it in burning hot water with a clean cloth and put nothing but the heater back in and another betta mysteriously died, so I'm retiring it from fish for good.

Also slowly gathering supplies for a baby bearded dragon I'm getting. Need to be fully prepared before they arrive!

I have got my eye on a couple bettas that would be maybe $30 together with shipping. Pretty nice deal I think for such pretty guys. Not the best, and both VT, but I lost my VTs when that sickness took my tank so I need them, too.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
This might be OT since you're concerned spending too much on the fish but I'm wondering if you are aware of the costs that breeding involves.
If you're going to take breeding seirously, I suggest you get yourself ready with setups, cultures, jars, medications, and everything else you WILL need before you think about bringing in the fish.
When I started breeding I spent over $300 before I got my pair in supplies.
Common bettas might be cheap but their breeding is definitely not.
It's very easy to get the fish to spawn but raising fry takes a lot of time and money.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This might be OT since you're concerned spending too much on the fish but I'm wondering if you are aware of the costs that breeding involves.
If you're going to take breeding seirously, I suggest you get yourself ready with setups, cultures, jars, medications, and everything else you WILL need before you think about bringing in the fish.
When I started breeding I spent over $300 before I got my pair in supplies.
Common bettas might be cheap but their breeding is definitely not.
It's very easy to get the fish to spawn but raising fry takes a lot of time and money.

I'm not concerned with that - I have most of it already. I'm talking about the bettas themselves.

I'm replacing a lot of lost material at the moment because it got contaminated, so I'm cutting my budget on what is least important - the individual bettas. They are very important, but without all the supplies it won't matter how pretty or expensive the fish are.

I'm just being pickier than I usually would about my fish selection since the supplies are taking a lot more than normal out of my pocket.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I'm just being pickier than I usually would about my fish selection since the supplies are taking a lot more than normal out of my pocket.
Because of this I've always believed that the item you spent the most on should be your bettas, they ARE the most important part. You DO have to be picky about the bettas you get for breeding because you will get hundreds just like them.
What's the use of breeding bettas if you're not going to be able to find them homes or care for them? Very little people (even lfs) would want to pay for a "common" betta bred by a unknown breeder.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Which is why I have yet to choose any. I'm not going to breed just any betta unless I believe I'll make something of it. It'd be a lot of money wasted, being stingy or not, to have all the unwanted extras sitting around here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts